Sign in to follow this  
Boomer

FS Captain: your opinions please

I tried the demo, and was getting a black empty gauge, where the Interface pop-up was supposed to be..... (Yes, I was definitely at one of the demo airports :wink:).

I tried to get support for this but faced a brick wall from the developer, despite a couple of helpful people here trying to help.....  the idea of the product really appealed, but obviously I wasn't going to purchase it while getting a black blank gauge intead of the FMC GUI......

Strange  that your  also having problems  with the fsdt   and  now  this   might be  some thing on your pc  that's  causing both of  your issues  here

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

It's on sale for half price till midnight of Oct. 4th

I see no evidence of this.

spacer.png

I see no evidence of this.

try the PC aviator shop

ZORAN

I like it...but I get annoyed at the first officer always spanking me for every little thing such as the 777 climbing above 4000'/min...he tells me he has the non smoking sign and the next breath spanks you for not turning it on. Other than that its a good program.

I like it...but I get annoyed at the first officer always spanking me for every little thing such as the 777 climbing above 4000'/min...he tells me he has the non smoking sign and the next breath spanks you for not turning it on. Other than that its a good program.

At least the no smoking sign advisory/penalty is configurable on a per-airplane basis.

With the introduction of the new version, almost all penalties can be switched of by editing the options.cfg in the FSCaptain/Config/ directory. I personally was getting annoyed by the altimeter penalty since I used FS2Crew and flew online. It unfortunately does not know transition levels. Otherwise, it's a great program. Soon, you won't need to install any panel anymore and can just use it out of the box. 

Andy,

Where were you flying from/to?  We definitely have a transitions database that covers the world, and "non-standard" (i.e. not 18000) transitions should be noted in the remarks section of your dispatch release, and the FO does know about them and should be noting the correct altitudes as you pass them on climb and descent.

The reason I asked is that it's always possible the database has errors in it, and we correct those that we find.  Sounds like you may have found one...

Dutch

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

Hmmm, looks like an interesting product, as a current FSP user it's getting a little bland and the nonexistent support has me looking for then next thing. Looks like this may be it. The fact that the developer participates in the forums is a HUGE plus!

I highly recommend FS Captain, and it is one of the addons that I rarely fly without.

At the moment I mainly use MultiCrew Experience and RC4 to fly passenger flights around Nevada/California, and I always use FS Captain Administrator to set up the initial flight details (either by selecting one from its schedule, or by inputting custom details myself). Then the FCDU acts as my 'employer' for the flight. It informs me of weather holds, adverse runway/wind conditions, gate number to use at my destination, and expects progress reports; the FCDU also monitors my flight, and gives me a rating, essentially from the employer and from the passengers,  at the end. The score is kept in a flight log, and I get paid for each flight.

I can customise the ratings, promotion criteria, and amount of wages for each level.

For me it has replaced FSPassengers in a more 'formal' way. I am still a beginner in the jets, and I usually make at least one or two silly mistakes during any flight - but between MCE and FSC, I am provided with the sense that it is not all down to me, I can use the Copilot & the flight monitoring to work as a team, the combination allows me to issue commands to lighten my load, I get pulled up if I forget to do something, and at the same time I have to monitor the co-pilot to make sure he has understood my instruction correctly. - and the rating systems of RC4 and FSC encourage me to gradually improve and expand on the systems that I use. 

I take it personally when I get marked down for leaving the gate without clearance from the FCDU (I must get their permission to proceed as well as ATC clearance); taxiing too fast, or touching the grass, landing roughly, or numerous other misdemeanours; so FSCaptain is one of the ingredients that forces me to take it all more seriously.

I have recently restarted my 'career' and have only done half a dozen flights. I am gutted as I forgot to inform the flight crew just prior to take off or landing in the first couple of flights, and have been marked down severely for it - I am now gradually increasing my score as I get it right each time, & will eventually get rid of the adverse report comment, but this is what makes the challenge worthwhile - if I am failing in a certain area, FSC will pick up on it as my employer and I must put it right or suffer the lower ratings.

Also, I have not even begun to use FSC fully, FS Captain is capable of monitoring the fuel burn and for now it automatically assigns my fuel load and payload configurations, but I will take more control of this as I get to grips with it.

A great addon that continues to be supported/updated/developed by Dutch & Travis.

regards

Keith

Andy,

Where were you flying from/to?  We definitely have a transitions database that covers the world, and "non-standard" (i.e. not 18000) transitions should be noted in the remarks section of your dispatch release, and the FO does know about them and should be noting the correct altitudes as you pass them on climb and descent.

The reason I asked is that it's always possible the database has errors in it, and we correct those that we find.  Sounds like you may have found one...

Dutch

Hi Dutch,

the transition altitudes are fine, no problem there. However, at least here in Europe, there is also a transition level which often is 1000ft or 1500ft above the transition altitude depending on local pressure. At this transition level the altimeters are switched from standard back to local. But since FSCaptain only knows the transition altitude but not the transition level it complains that the altimeter wasn't set to standard above transition altitude.

E.g. in the Netherlands

Transition altitude: 3000ft

Transition level range: 3500ft up to 5000ft depending on local pressure

Hope it helps. :)

Edit: Maybe you guys could add an option to enter the transition level into the FCDU so that FSCaptain stops complaining. I think it would be impossible to create a database with all transition levels and their related local pressures. 

Hi Dutch,

the transition altitudes are fine, no problem there. However, at least here in Europe, there is also a transition level which often is 1000ft or 1500ft above the transition altitude depending on local pressure. At this transition level the altimeters are switched from standard back to local. But since FSCaptain only knows the transition altitude but not the transition level it complains that the altimeter wasn't set to standard above transition altitude.

E.g. in the Netherlands

Transition altitude: 3000ft

Transition level range: 3500ft up to 5000ft depending on local pressure

Hope it helps. :)

Edit: Maybe you guys could add an option to enter the transition level into the FCDU so that FSCaptain stops complaining. I think it would be impossible to create a database with all transition levels and their related local pressures. 

Switch the penalty off in options.cfg.  I fly the Twin Otter at or around 6000 here in the UK, which also happens to be the transition altitude, i get beaten over the head for the alt setting, so i switch it off.  

There is a option to change the default transition altitude within the Administrator.

Ian R Tyldesley

Switch the penalty off in options.cfg.  I fly the Twin Otter at or around 6000 here in the UK, which also happens to be the transition altitude, i get beaten over the head for the alt setting, so i switch it off.  

There is a option to change the default transition altitude within the Administrator.

Yes, thx, I knew that as seen in one of my posts above!  :P

Awesome topic, never even heard of the product, but now reading all these post, I will look into it.