Sign in to follow this  
Boomer

FS Captain: your opinions please

My installation is in the default location. Also, I don't normally turn the virus scan off, so it was on when I downloaded and installed it. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Would running the fixpack work?

If running win7 it's best if you install FSX outside of default location.ie C:\fsx or D:\fsx.it's what i do and FScaptain works perfectly

steve

Since you are installed in the default location and that's been known to cause quite a few headaches related to odd security issues, I would re-install the Fixpack and when you do that, be sure to run the install program as Administrator.  Also, whenever you run the FSCaptain Administrator, or FSX, run those as Administrator too.  You can choose to always run them as Administrator by right-click on whatever program you're running and choosing that from an options list (I can't remember exactly what it is right now, but it's there somewhere.)

Lots of Administrators in there ... too many, probably, sounds like a government agency....

Dutch

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

So far I installed the demo without a hitch except for the Weather Options crash.  I made the METADATA changes suggested in your forums to my profile.cfg and now I don't crash.

Today I will try out a test flight, I will also be using FS2CREW, GSX, Active Sky Next, and PFE.

(...)  You can choose to always run them as Administrator by right-click on whatever program you're running and choosing that from an options list (I can't remember exactly what it is right now, but it's there somewhere.)

(...)

Properties > Compatibility > Change settings for all users > Tick the Privilege level check box.

BTW Dutch, you're using my banner!   :lol:

I just installed the fixpack and it worked! The installer is now showing up in the bin folder.

"Oh good grief..."  ...damned if I know what he's referring to though.

spacer.png

BTW Dutch, you're using my banner! :lol:

If I see Dutch walking around with no shirt on, i will know you sued him :)

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

He usually says that if I exceed 5000fpm.

Easy to do in lightly fueled 777.

spacer.png

If running win7 it's best if you install FSX outside of default location.ie C:\fsx or D:\fsx.it's what i do and FScaptain works perfectly

steve

This is sound advice.

However for those already installed in the default location or for those wanting to avoid any problems arising with various installation routines when the location of FSX is not in the default folder, and for those wanting to avoid running as admin, we can fix the problem properly.

The major problem for many addon programs comes with *writing* to the FSX program files folder. A default install of FSX disallows writes to files in those folders, and the addon fails unless run as Admin.

Running as Admin is not required if the problem was properly understood. The logged on user simply does not have permission to write to those folders. We can set the proper permissions (good) or run as admin (bad).

We can install FSX/P3D/whatever into the default Program Files folder, but before installing addons, we can Edit the Security Properties of the FSX Program Files folder, set the "Write" permission for the "Users" group (also add Modify permission, and allow subfolders).

Making one's own folder for FSX inherits the permissions of the User and can lead to trouble further down the line, and attract a file security overhead. Best to set the permissions there too, before adding any programs that may have trouble with Windows security systems.

Best regards

Steve

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

So far I installed the demo without a hitch except for the Weather Options crash.  I made the METADATA changes suggested in your forums to my profile.cfg and now I don't crash.

Today I will try out a test flight, I will also be using FS2CREW, GSX, Active Sky Next, and PFE.

I had that weather crash when running the weather option from the Administrator OUTSIDE of FSX. I was running the Admin prior to launching FSX, and everything seemed to work until I hit the Weather button. I found out that if I ran the Admin from within FSX, the Weather button worked fine, and I was able to set up FSC with my ASN.

It looks like the Administrator was not meant to be run as a stand-alone before yoy start FSX. Am I wrong?  In any case, it looks like it's running nicely now, and had I not had a problem with my Carenado C208, I would have made my first flight last night. It seems my problem is trying too many new things at the same time...that's what happens when you're ADD and OCD! :help:

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg