Sign in to follow this  
AlexMD11

'Refueling' for second leg

During my latest two longhaul flights (both consisting of two legs; loving the auto time compression feature!) I noticed this little quirk in the FMC. While setting up the aircraft for the second leg, I manually set the fuel through the FS actions menu in the FMC (not using ground ops). However, the FMC does not show this amount of fuel on the perf init page.

The first time this went unnoticed and I kept getting insufficient fuel messages during flight with the legs page showing 0.0 fuel left at destination. The second time I noticed this on the perf init page. This can be easily be overcome by setting it there manually, but I am wondering what the reason might be that the FMC does not do this automatically?

Best regards,

Alexander Rietveld

However, the FMC does not show this amount of fuel on the perf init page.

Did you manually override the fuel on the PERF INIT page without clearing it later?

Kyle Rodgers

Did you manually override the fuel on the PERF INIT page without clearing it later?

No, I manually override the fuel amount in the fsx actions menu. The manual override in the PERF INIT page is just the solution for the issue at hand (and since I only do this for the second leg, I don't set the fuel again after that so it does not need further updating on the PERF INIT page). Fuel on the PERF INIT was only about half the fuel needed for the flight.

Best regards,

Alexander Rietveld

No, I manually override the fuel amount in the fsx actions menu.

Can you give me the exact steps to reproduce?

First flight, weights, route, etc.

What you did - exactly - from shutting down until ready to depart.

Second flight weights, route, etc.

Kyle Rodgers

I need to double check, but I thought the PERF page had to be manually updated by resetting ZFW. Maybe.

Dan Downs KCRP

I experienced something similar to this while doing some Air Hauler flights yesterday...unfortunately, I don't have the details in terms of the weights (at work).

First leg was KGJT to KAUS. At KAUS, while GSX was doing its thing, I refueled and loaded payload per my AH job, using the FS Actions menu, and then loaded up my flight plan to KPIT. I worked through the usual PERF stuff to get ready for departure, pushed back, and taxied out. During the long taxi, a Fuel Disagree message came up on the MFD. Using the non-normal checklist, I determined that the Calculated Fuel amount was incorrect and used the Totalizer amount to sync everything back up in the FMC. The flight continued normally. Upon landing in KPIT and going through the same process in preparation for my next leg, LEIB, I got the same MFD message on taxi out (I had loaded significantly more fuel for this leg). Didn't bother with the checklist this time and just used the method used earlier using the totalizer amount to sync things back up (PROG, page 2 IIRC). Flight to LEIB was normal.

I figured that maybe I did something procedurally wrong to create the fuel disagree message (though I'm pretty certain I re-entered everything on the PERF page), but was completely jazzed to get a non-normal issue out of the blue like that and have to work through it to a solution.  :P

I have AH set to let me load the plane manually and I verify that it doesn't touch anything out of habit. I perform the fuel and payload setup before doing anything in the FMC side (INIT, PERF, etc.). FSX/777 ran flawlessly the entire day, without any restarts.

The Fuel Disagree message was discussed in the beta testing channel last Thursday. It's come up a couple of times so I asssume what ever is causing this anomoly will be fixed.

Dan Downs KCRP

I read somewhere where PMDG suggest you shut down FSX after a flight before starting a new flight and start over.. This will help with the "running out of memory problems" some people are having...

I read somewhere where PMDG suggest you shut down FSX after a flight before starting a new flight and start over.. This will help with the "running out of memory problems" some people are having...

Not an issue here; no OOM's.

It can help, yes.  Try it without doing that, and if you're fine, you're fine.  It's just an option for those having an issue.

Kyle Rodgers

The ground operations feature works great. The only thing is in the manual it says the uplift is the actual fuel on board where it appears to me to be the amount it needs to put in to make it up to the plannd fuel. So if you land from the first leg with 20,000lb of fuel and the planned fuel for the next sector is 80,000lb, the uplift would be 60000lb. To watch the fuel going in is great on a turnaround. Just remember not so set your V speeds untill you aircraft is at the planned fuel weight.

Ceri