Sign in to follow this  

Hi,

Finally, after a long wait, William, one of our first officers will be able to handle RC4 ATC, negating the need to put up with an intruder in the cockpit. :P

Non-MCE users are free to use it with Radar Contact if they wish.

Instructions are enclosed in the downloadable package

http://www.multicrewxp.com/William_Voice_Pack_For_RC4.zip

Hopefully some of the other FOs will follow suit.

I think a big thank you to William Reynolds is in order.

So, I start first

Thanks Will

William Reynolds ... you are a STAR.    :clapping:     :im Not Worthy:     :drinks: . 

Gerald ... you are merely a genius.

Hi,

Finally, after a long wait, William, one of our first officers will be able to handle RC4 ATC, negating the need to put up with an intruder in the cockpit. :P

Non-MCE users are free to use it with Radar Contact if they wish.

Instructions are enclosed in the downloadable package

http://www.multicrewxp.com/William_Voice_Pack_For_RC4.zip

Hopefully some of the other FOs will follow suit.

I think a big thank you to William Reynolds is in order.

So, I start first

Thanks Will

Just sighted the quote above re. William handling the RC4 ATC.

I have read the included instructions re. selecting William as pilot, but could someone clarify what other settings one needs to make in RC4, e.g. "play pilot wavs", " tune on contact" etc. Doesn't Having William as pilot in RC4 mean that all comms with ATC is handled by him, which defeats the object of voice comma?

Does one still need to ask FO in MCE for example "over to centre" or "contact centre" etc. for him to make the contact with RC4?

Perhaps someone using this method already could clarify its use with some examples please.

Cheers

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Hi there,

On the RC4 GUI,

Select  "play pilot waves"
Select  "tune on contact"

Once in the sim say, "your comms" or "you have the comms".

All ATC is now handled by the FO.

All subsequent communication frequency changes are done by the FO. No need to ask for the new frequency.

If you want comms back just say "my Comms".

If you want to select any of the RC4 menu items just select via keyboard, or if you have MCE FSX voice command enabled say "select menu item one/two/three", etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
David

To reiterate,

Go to \RC4 installation\Winwood\ folder

Rename folder "50" to "Backup-50"

Copy the folder named "50" to \RC4 installation\Winwood\ folder.

Go to RC4 user interface.

Under Voices, go to <Co-pilot> tab and select "MCE William V4"

If using Multi Crew Experience, and you want to avoid RC4 transmitting again when you have done so using speech recognition, you will need to replace one more folder.

Rename folder "51" to "Backup-51"

Copy the folder named "51" to \RC4 installation\Winwood\ folder.

Folder "51" contains very short files containing nothing but recorded silence.

Under Voices, go to <Pilots> tab and select "My Voice V4"

Thanks David, that clarifies things. I was getting mixed up by the mention of "pilot" voice "my voice v4" mentioned in relation to folder 51.

Not sure also what is meant by; "If using Multi Crew Experience, and you want to avoid RC4 transmitting again when you have done so using speech recognition, you will need to replace one more folder."

I do use MCE speech recognition, so if FO is handling comms why is there the need for folder 51, if I take comma back.

Could you also help with something else? If one is at an "uncontrolled" airport e.g. Oban in Scotland, how does one voice request clearance etc from FSS as there doesn't seem to be frequency to tune - how does one initiate the call to FSS without using the keyboard?

By the way, your videos are great and inspired me to purchase MCE and move to voice comms with RC4, which I had been using in isolation for years, being one of the original UK pilot voices on RC4.

Regards,

Stuart Hyett

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Not sure also what is meant by; "If using Multi Crew Experience, and you want to avoid RC4 transmitting again when you have done so using speech recognition, you will need to replace one more folder."

Re. my question above, I think I just got it, because "play pilot wavs" is checked in order to hear the co-pilot, if I as pilot were to use voice and take over comms then RC4 would also use the built in pilot wavs. Is that correct?

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Re. my question above, I think I just got it, because "play pilot wavs" is checked in order to hear the co-pilot, if I as pilot were to use voice and take over comms then RC4 would also use the built in pilot wavs. Is that correct?

Yes.  Pilot and co-pilot voices are both enabled/disabled by "play pilot wavs".  The new 51 folder only contains blank .wav files.

Hi David,

When you say:

If using Multi Crew Experience, and you want to avoid RC4 transmitting again when you have done so using speech recognition, you will need to replace one more folder.

Rename folder "51" to "Backup-51"

Copy the folder named "51" to \RC4 installation\Winwood\ folder.

Folder "51" contains very short files containing nothing but recorded silence.

Under Voices, go to tab and select "My Voice V4"

Does this solve the RC4 "feature" nagging you to contact the next center (when you already have)?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

Hi David,

When you say:

Does this solve the RC4 "feature" nagging you to contact the next center (when you already have)?

Not really the "51" has blank sounds as spaces so we don't hear two voices replying to ATC! That would rather upset them a Tad :rolleyes:.

The "nagging" appears to have been solved by the speed of reply from your First Officer. His reply is much faster than ours and stops the RC4 program from jumping to its next line, which is to nag the heck out of us if we are a little tardy :lol: 

I find the MCE + RC4 marriage an almost perfect one now. It appears to have been worked on, seems better synched and has few niggles.  With the inclusion of the FO or FE working the radios the simulation has evolved.

Best Regards

David

The "nagging" appears to have been solved by the speed of reply from your First Officer.

Yes, I've been watching many of your youtube video's trying to understand your timing with your FO. When you say over to center, for example, do you say this first before replying 'Roger...' to the original center controller?

I reply to the original center controller, then tell the FO over to center, then I hear the 'nag' saying 'I say again...'contact the new center...

Still haven't got it down.

Not sure what your secret is...

What are the 'steps' to stop the nag?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

When you say over to center, for example, do you say this first before replying 'Roger...' to the original center controller?

No. That would begin your first officers task of re tuning your communication radio to the next "centre" before you have confirmed with the current centre that you have received his hand over instruction. 

However, come to think of it now, you could try this as a "cheat" work  around, in the sim. But its technically wrong, if you are using an aircraft with just one com radio! As we are supposed to be in FSX :lol:

Normally you would expect to say something like "over to London Centre on 127.475, thanks bye " as the new frequency is tuned to Com. #2, by either yourself or the FO. Then its straight on to Com. #2 and identify with the next centre, "London Centre Speed Bird 231 is with you at eight thousand" or whatever. 

However we are stuck with the com #1 radio to use in FSX.  That's why the RC4 "request to leave the frequency for weather" request is RW incorrect. You simply would not leave the frequency in an aircraft with two com radios!  Its not MCE or RC4's fault, rather FSX. MS never thought we would be using add ons as complex as MCE when they built the original Flight Simulator in 1998!

I reply to the original center controller, then tell the FO over to center, then I hear the 'nag' saying 'I say again...'contact the new center...

The allocated time (allocated by the RC4 program) is way too short. You only have time to confirm the handover with something like "Roger" ...Then "Over to centre", for your FO to tune the frequency. The FO is a lot faster now but any delay in giving him/her the Over to Centre command will put you into the nagging zone.

So to speed up our reply in the sim and stifle the "nagging", we could just say to RC4 "Roger" and then (quickly to FO) "over to centre". The FO should get the new frequency dialled in time for you to identify yourself (again quickly) with the RC4 conventional, "Centre, Speed Bird 231 is with you", that will satisfy RC4 and you should transfer to the new controller quickly without much a do.

Alternatively you could dial the new frequency yourself in the com #2 window and fast select it as soon as you have acknowledged the new frequency.

The reason that I find using the FO for radio comms is quicker and has no delay and hence no "nag", is due to the fact he/she is running lines of computer code and that's executed faster than any verbal order from you or I. Verbal commands which have to be firstly spoken by us, then identified by MCE/RC4, then interpreted and then acted upon! :blink:

So its all in the timing really.

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers

David.

Some time ago, we've added an "anti-nagging" feature that goes like this...

When transmitting to next controller and you are caught by the need to re-acknowlege leaving previous controller, you could ignore the nagging and continue with your transmission. MCE should then automatically select the option to ack (get rid of nagging) then wait for the next set of options to select the option to contact next controller.

It's not bullet proof though.

THanks for the replies David and Gerald.

I've just completed several flights using MCE push to talk with RC4. I used David's idea of simply saying 'Roger' then telling the FO 'over to center' and it worked very well.

I've also used the FS++ option to let MCE acknowledge the 'nag' command and simply move on. It also works.

Not sure which method I prefer, let the FO take complete control of comms, use the shortened version of 'Roger' (not as realistic), or the F++ MCE 'acknowledge' the 'nag'.

Either way, there are several solutions and I do agree, that the marriage of MCE and RC4 really brings the sim to life...

Thanks for the feedback.

Jeff