Sign in to follow this  
Danny2013

Help me spend $300 for my new T7

Ok, So after all the tweaking and help I could get online I have managed to get about 15fps average in well populated areas  (KMIA, KATL, etc) so I have decided to upgrade my system a bit to enjoy my T7 better!. This is what I have:

-AMD Phenom II X6 3.2mhz (not overclocked)

-GTX 260 GPU

-8 Gigs of RAM

I was thinking on buying either this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8511632&Sku=M69-0920

and add a total of 16g of ram or maybe something else you guys can suggest?

I originally thought of a new video card but I think my low FPS is due to lack of processing power?

No need for 16gb of ram as you wont notice any improvement in FSX. Put the money towards a newer motherboard if your current one doesn't support AM3+ or a videocard as the GTX260 while fine in it's day isn't helping you much in FSX.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Interjection from someone on an upgrade cycle this Fall:  has it not been generally agreed that the Intel CPU offers supoerior performance for FSX?

spacer.png

If you have a Microcenter near you, maybe you pick up a I7 3770k. IMHO much better than that CPU...

http://www.microcenter.com/product/388575/Core_i7_3770K_35GHz_Socket_LGA_1155_Boxed_Processor

Thanks Thomas!  Quick question though... My current processor is 3.3mgh. basically the same, unless Intel really is that much faster regardless of the clock speed?

Interjection from someone on an upgrade cycle this Fall:  has it not been generally agreed that the Intel CPU offers supoerior performance for FSX?

+1

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10                    

+1

+2

I was an AMD user when I built my first computer back in 04/05. AMD 3200+, 1GB RAM, ATI 9600 Pro. Upgraded to the X850 XT Pro when it came out. I loved my AMD system, but in our current setting, everything I read constantly points to Intel. I have been an intel user since 07 with no intentions of going back. AMD isn't bad, but intel takes the lead nine times out of ten in regards to FSX.

-AMD Phenom II X6 3.2mhz (not overclocked)

-GTX 260 GPU

-8 Gigs of RAM

In my opinion, anything you invest into that system is a waste of money.

If you are upgrading then I guess the faster CPU is probably the best option, however I have no idea if you will see any improvement.

As others stated, both INTEL and NVIDIA are better for FSX (regardless of the clock, yes)

So use those 300 towards a new PC based on Haswell i7 4770k and a GTX780 (or GTX770 if too exspensive).

Or if you dont want to spend that kind of money, see If you can buy a used PC based on i7 2600k and GTX580.

Rob Robson

Thanks Thomas!  Quick question though... My current processor is 3.3mgh. basically the same, unless Intel really is that much faster regardless of the clock speed?

no not really. But its a K Version it will let you do the overclock to around 4.5ghz ( i have a i52500k@4.5ghz easily)

I suggest you to save up even more and wait. 8gb of ram is enough. Remember for best bang for your $ dun go bellow the 600series card and the 700series is affordable too

I dun get it why people choose hawell? I heard it overclock badly temperature problem and all that. We are gamers why we need a i7? Basically a i5 OC can match your needs. Theres no need to waste this kind of money in an i7. 

Can someone explain to me please? 

I have an I7. 3770k with an old gtx 480. My system purrs. No need for more than 8g of memory. If u get a good mobo I have the msi mpower you will be able to oc that puppy a lot.

no not really. But its a K Version it will let you do the overclock to around 4.5ghz ( i have a i52500k@4.5ghz easily)

I suggest you to save up even more and wait. 8gb of ram is enough. Remember for best bang for your $ dun go bellow the 600series card and the 700series is affordable too

I dun get it why people choose hawell? I heard it overclock badly temperature problem and all that. We are gamers why we need a i7? Basically a i5 OC can match your needs. Theres no need to waste this kind of money in an i7. 

Can someone explain to me please?

Actually FSX does not work like a game.

Therefore it benefits from better hardware in ways a game does not.

Haswell may get hotter, but I read that an i7 4770k overclocked to 4.3Ghz is as fast as an Sandy Bridge at 4.7GHz!

So you dont have to clock that high.

You then have the newest CPU with a way faster memory controller (one of those things that helps FSX)

Rob Robson