Sign in to follow this  
Danny2013

Help me spend $300 for my new T7

Alright guys. So I completed my upgrade las night and though I'd update you on what the outcome was for those looking in to upgrading and also for those who helped me out

First of all thanks to all of you who posted your ideas and advise,, thanks to you now I have a pretty good system and i am enjoying my T7 way better!

Although I looked and looked at Intel I simply did not have the money to afford  the system I thought could take me where I wanted to be, I am convinced is the best CPU for fSX but they are expensive and I just could not make it happen this time, also, i use this PC for 2 main projects, FSX and music Production, so I do see an advantage on having multicores for music production and stuff.

Bottom line:

I went from this:

ADM Phenom II x6 3.2

GTX 260

to this:

AMD FX8350 x8 4.3 (turbo on)

GTX 650 TI

And this is what I was able to accomplish:

-My Autogen is now on Dense (Lower before upgrade)

-My AI Traffic is now %50 (10% before upgrade)

-Airport vehicles is now at %25 (%5 before upgrade)

-Scenery is maxed out (a notch lower before upgrade)

-Added aircraft shadow (was off before upgrade)

FPS wise I now get (using REX and PMDG 777) 30fps constant at regular  and most areas and  22 to 25FPS on my worse case scenario (JFK, ORD, etc) versus 20fps I was getting before with much worse quality selected on sliders.

Now If I were to keep my sliders and setting the way they were before the upgrade with this system I would get 30FPS steady, but because I had room to improve my visuals and move sliders to the right I did gain still good FPS plus quality as my sliders are really close to being Maxed out. If I was to fly a stock aircraft I could literally max everything and still get the 30fps even with REX installed and at full resolution. haven't tried but we know PMDG toys are heavy on CPU.

So in all honesty it is a huge improvement and recommended for those like me who can't afford a high end into solution.

Thanks again for chiming in and help me upgrade!

Danny

P.S: I budgeted $300 and I ended up spending $500  (CPU, MOBO and GPU) sshhhhh    don't tell the wife  :P

Interjection from someone on an upgrade cycle this Fall:  has it not been generally agreed that the Intel CPU offers supoerior performance for FSX?

As an AMD user myself, and just looking at the number of Intel users complaining of bad perf on these very forums, I'd say that the emperical evidence suggests that Intel is seriously over-hyped. The only Intel system I owned in 15 years, was an Intel Core2 Duo E6700. I went all out and put a top-end nVidia 7950GX2 in there (at no small cost), and I was disappointed with the performance compared to a similar rig I built with the then top-end AMD processor, and nVidia 7900 graphics card, for half the cost.

Cost:Performance ratio - AMD wins all the way (and AMD systems are NOT as slow as Intel would like you to believe - as many lawsuits in the EU have shown).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8343179.stm

"Intel's actions not only unfairly restricted potential competitors, but also hurt average consumers who were robbed of better products and lower prices."

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/dell-pays-65million-to-settle-intel-bribe-probe-8577

etc...

I get great perf with the 777, no crashes, and I'm not using snake-oil tweaks to accomplish it.

My rig?

* AMD Phenom II X4 970 BE (stock speed, 3.5 GHz)

* 8 Gb DDR3

* AMD 6750

* Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

It would be classed as "low end" by today's standards, but I don't care - I get an easy 60 FPS with the 777, running FSX at 1600x1200. B)

Best regards,

Robin.

You don't even need an i7. The i5 3570K will easily OC to 4.5Ghz. Get the i5 over the i7 and buy a good water cooling unit like the Corsair H100 with the money you'll save. 

Alright guys. So I completed my upgrade las night and though I'd update you on what the outcome was for those looking in to upgrading and also for those who helped me out

First of all thanks to all of you who posted your ideas and advise,, thanks to you now I have a pretty good system and i am enjoying my T7 way better!

Although I looked and looked at Intel I simply did not have the money to afford  the system I thought could take me where I wanted to be, I am convinced is the best CPU for fSX but they are expensive and I just could not make it happen this time, also, i use this PC for 2 main projects, FSX and music Production, so I do see an advantage on having multicores for music production and stuff.

Bottom line:

I went from this:

ADM Phenom II x6 3.2

GTX 260

to this:

AMD FX8350 x8 4.3 (turbo on)

GTX 650 TI

And this is what I was able to accomplish:

-My Autogen is now on Dense (Lower before upgrade)

-My AI Traffic is now %50 (10% before upgrade)

-Airport vehicles is now at %25 (%5 before upgrade)

-Scenery is maxed out (a notch lower before upgrade)

-Added aircraft shadow (was off before upgrade)

FPS wise I now get (using REX and PMDG 777) 30fps constant at regular  and most areas and  22 to 25FPS on my worse case scenario (JFK, ORD, etc) versus 20fps I was getting before with much worse quality selected on sliders.

Now If I were to keep my sliders and setting the way they were before the upgrade with this system I would get 30FPS steady, but because I had room to improve my visuals and move sliders to the right I did gain still good FPS plus quality as my sliders are really close to being Maxed out. If I was to fly a stock aircraft I could literally max everything and still get the 30fps even with REX installed and at full resolution. haven't tried but we know PMDG toys are heavy on CPU.

So in all honesty it is a huge improvement and recommended for those like me who can't afford a high end into solution.

Thanks again for chiming in and help me upgrade!

Danny

P.S: I budgeted $300 and I ended up spending $500  (CPU, MOBO and GPU) sshhhhh    don't tell the wife   :P

Just an FYI bump that FX8350 up to 4.5ghz it helps big time! Make sure if you overclock to turn turbo off!

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Intel CPUs run circles around AMD at pretty much all price-points for non-heavily multithreaded tasks (such as FSX) even with slower clock speeds.... even more so if you overclock them.

Just an FYI bump that FX8350 up to 4.5ghz it helps big time! Make sure if you overclock to turn turbo off!

That is my plan!  :)