Sign in to follow this  
irvsax

High Spec Machine - Low Frame Rates

HI, 

I am sure there have been many people asking about the holy grail of frame rates, but i am a little stuck, even after looking all over the place for solutions. However, i also see people posting amazing frame rates with lesser systems than i am running. 

Just got a new system;

Geforce GTX 780 3gb Ram

32GB 1866 Ram

i7-3930k processor

I do have some programs installed. Ultimate Terrain, Ground and Environment. Again though, i have seen people running this with great frame rates. 

I am currently achieving around 12-20fps from an external view of the plane and i can get to 30 if in standard cockpit or virtual cockpit (only if in it for a while though). 

I also have addon airport Scenery, that i appreciate can slow things. 

My current settings are quite high, but not maxed out, and even moving them down doesn't seem to do allot. I am running Directx9 mode as the directx10 has too many issues with addon scenery from what i have tried. 

I dont know if there is a solution to this, but any thoughts very welcomed.. thanks all. 

Have i posted this in the wrong section?

I have seen frame rates discussed allot. I would have thought with a top end machine i should be hitting better FPS than i am??

What airplane are you using? What weather? What addon sceneries? Have you tweaked your FSX.cfg?

If the post is in the wrong section, one of the mods will move it accordingly.

If you answer the above questions we can dig a little deeper into your problem. I may also help to read the 'Avsim HW and SW Guide' as it has helped a lot of us get the most out of FSX.

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

Tweaking is the answer to your problems!
Unless you already have, in which case I'd ask for a screenshot of your FSX settings.

Aamir Thacker

Hi 

I am using a stock B737 with a BA skin on it. The weather and addon is the full Ultimate series from Flight one (ground, Terrain, Environment). I do have addon airports aswel and i expect frame rate to drop in those, but this is often in normal flight away from the addon airports. 

I have tweaked it, but most of the settings are very high at the moment. I have just used www.veneturbo.com to see how that works

If it means i have to reduce some of the settings then that is fine, but i just would not have expected to.. especially having seen people with really high frame rates with lesser machines and still using addon scenery. 

Ai is about 70% on commercial aircraft and 40% on the rest

it just seems to jump around allot. Had another go just now with the settings created by that site i linked to. Its better.. peaking around 40fps and generally above 20fps.. but it does jump around a bit at times. 

I am happy with a steady 30fps (would like a touch more), but its getting it steady. 

I monitor my cpu and gpu with external programs and they are barely being pushed at all. I wouldnt mind if i was maxing them out. 

I suppose you don't use any addons for traffic? Because if you do, you might want to reconsider that 70% setting for commercial airliners, or actually you might consider lowering that anyways, since default AI uses mainly the rather detailed user aircraft (leaving aside a few other exclusively AI models), which put a lot of extra work on your computer.

Also, consider lowering the Autogen settings, this is usually quite a FPS eater as well.

EDIT to add: You could also try limiting FPS to some value you find appropriate (e.g. I have mine limited to 30). I have experienced that while unlimited FPS give me a better average frame rate, the FPS are very "jumpy" (in annoying ranges like 50 FPS, and less than 10 the next second), and limiting it makes FPS quite steady, although the average is probably decreased. I have to add, though, that I have read of others who obviously have better success with unlimited FPS.

Edited by FloG

Ah yes, I am using My Traffic 2013 aswel. 

I will give that a go. 

I just wonder how other people claim to have these really high frame rates and still use these addons and high settings. I dont mind reducing things (although i would rather not). I just didnt know if there was something i was missing given my machine should be able to handle it better than it is i think. 

I am using My Traffic 2013

The manual (at least the one of 5.4b, but I guess it's more or less the same with the 2013 version)states that it is not really recommended to have airliners set to more than about 40%, everything else generates "random" (in terms of not real-life) flights all around the worlds to fill the gates, because there obviously were some complaints about the airports being too "empty". This can have some funny side-effects, because this way planes can appear at airports where they could never be in real life (such as AUA 737s somwhere in South America). And of course it affects FPS, especially at larger airports(although probably not as much as the same amount of default aircraft would).

I also think that it is a question of how much FPS you want to achieve. as you say, your frames hardly ever drop below 20 (with obviously quite high settings), and still you would like to have more(don't understand this as an accusation of some kind) - and I on the other hand am usually happy with 15(I don't even mind less than that, unless it's on the ground or on approach).

Thats really interesting. Thanks. I think that sounds good. There are always far too many planes in the sky anyway and atc is just always going crazy! 

I have found the airports very empty though, so will look into this. I actually found Mytraffic2013 a bit confusing during installation. When you open it up it says about database not being installed and installing a third part piece of software to do it. Turns out that was only if you wanted to edit. 

I have not played FSX for quite a while and last time i played i was using Traffic X i think, and that was much better, and i think there were far more planes around overall. With My Traffic 2013 for instance, and Schipol Airport (amsterdam) the only planes seem to be Thomas Cook.. doesnt seem quite right! 

I dont really know what i am after. I just want it to be as good as it can be before i get stuck in and use it. Obviously i dont want it to judder at all, and thats the key. I would just be frustrated if it could be better and i hadn't taken the time to fine out how. Especially after spending quite allot of £££ on a high spec new machine. 

Cheers

it just seems to jump around allot. Had another go just now with the settings created by that site i linked to. Its better.. peaking around 40fps and generally above 20fps.. but it does jump around a bit at times. 

I am happy with a steady 30fps (would like a touch more), but its getting it steady. 

So many things affect total performance defined as frame rate + texture update rate + image quality + fluidity and freedom from stuttering.   In order to decide if you are getting worse 'total performance' than others w/ similar systems you would have to exactly define how you are setup:  all the terrain & scenery & graphics & weather settings in fsx.cfg including the zoom factor, cloud bit depth etc, as well as all of the display parameters:  screen resolution, number of displays, and video driver configuration.  Then disable other peripherals like Traffic X so you can compare apples to apples. 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Make sure your video card is runnin at the full x16 speed. With my new system it didn't like my pcie2.0 card and was running at pcie1.0 x8 and fps was abysmal until I got it running at 16x

Your external views should be smoking at 60 fps+. Even heavy payware like pmdg. The vc is where the fps drops. Something is amiss win your hardware or fsx install