Sign in to follow this  
sidh

Smooth FPS in FSX, A MYTH?

Hello,

I was wondering for all those of you with Ultra high end PCs getting 30 FPS locked with AI Traffic,Addon Sceneries,Dense REX weather and NGX for suppose..

The main reason I am asking is that everytime I get a new pc I get a new Hope that it will run great now and in the end It lags at major airports, Also what not tweak that I have used to make to make it smooth but came to conclusion that it does not matter.

So now I am starting to believe that getting smooth FPS(WITH ALL ADDONS) is nothing more but  a myth..As Fsx sits on old technology.

I doubt if I upgrade to 4770K or GTX 7 series I will get not much better FPS. I remember few months back when People used to say get i7 2600k series and its smooth as anything but No..

Low FPS -  Simulation experience ruined for me .

So smooth FSX it's really a myth? FSX can never run smooth on any system because it's not optimized for latest technology.? One should think thousand times before spending a lot of money for FSX system.

1y329d.jpg

4.5ghz is the sweet spot i feel for fsx, my fsx is very smooth even in overcast conditions with rex clouds and opus weather. I have droped down to the low 20's in the ngx and it was still smooth.. you would think it was 30fps it was that smooth.

I do feel how you tweak your pc and sim is the deciding factor on smoothness but that is only something you can do as not every pc is the same. There is stuff people do that can be wrong for the sim and over tweaking on modern hardware can be a very bad thing and is something to watch out for, the same with to much HD.

I use these manual tweaks only

Highmemfix 1

BP 0

Affintymask 14

wideviewaspect 1

LOD 5.5 but i will use 6.5 when i fly slow and low

-Paul-

I get 30 FPS mostly everywhere but it does drop to the low 20's at some of the most FPS-intensive OrbX airports. 4.5 GHz 4770K and GTX 670 here.

Part of the problem is obviously that FS isn't optimized for new GPUs, making it entirely depended on the CPU. However developers are pushing the 3D engine as far as it will go, which means at this time, they're targeting ~4.5 GHz CPUs during development. A few years ago they were targeting 4 GHz, and before that 3.5 GHz. If you were to make a clean install of FSX and then only use add-ons from 2007 and before, you'd get great FPS with any modern system.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I get it all smooth as long as I stay away from resource hungry addon sceneries and even around them it's usually reasonable 20FPS or so.

I think the fact I'm using ATI card might reduce the FPS a bit compared to if I was using Nvidia. Definitely overclocking my I7-2600k from 3.4 to 4.4ghz helped a lot. 

it can be realy smooth if you forget about AI traffic, road vehicles and ships and ferries. If yoy fly online, this will not affect you. I have only 15% leisure boats, and everything else to 0% in my traffic tab and i have smooth FSX with all addons. 30fps(locked) 99% of time. Ususaly Fps  drops from time to time only for a second to 27, 28 with no changes in smoothnes. On some airports(which seems to be just FSX bad optimized area)fps can go do 20, and i can see ocasional stutter, but still smooth FSX. This is what you can get with good system and optimization. No chance of smooth FSX with Traffic sliders to the right

A smooth experience, for me, comes down to knowing what areas are the main draws of performance;  in my experience it tends to be heavier weather depictions, AI traffic, and the higher autogen levels.        

That's not to say these need to be turned off, just that these are the parameters that I have found will have the greatesing impact on FPS (+/-) accordinhg to whatever scenario I'm in, in FSX.

There are of course some settings in FSX that pretty much everyone should avoid, such as FSX's native Bloom

But it's the weather, AI Traffic and autogen that I tend to dynamically adjust according to whether I am flying for example, a PMDG airliner versus a frame rate friendly GA aircraft, etc.

The exception to the rule of course, being the Majestic Q400, with which I can set high weather (cloud) coverages, a healthy amount of AI, and max Autogen;  and still get a butter smoother, high frame rate count, even in high detail add-on airports.

Well, I have just recently returned to FSX, coming from P3D and X-Plane 10 ( I use to jump between passions, as most of you should know... )

I decided that the main aim for me to re-install FSX was to be able to profit from some great add-ons that have been recently released, including the PMDG 777, the A2A C172, and even the Flight1 B200 which I din't buy but look fwd to...

Since in X-Plane10 I couldn't use the rather basic and limited ATC, and AI aircraft were a nightmare, and OSM + Autogen scenery is great but together with photoscenery can bring the sim to a stutter state that FSX would envy, I was not using AI or ATC with X-Plane, and was just using the default autogen at lower levels and some photoscenery.

In FSX I decided I should do the same, so, no ATC other than the default - which is much better than what we get in X-Plane 10 - and absolutely no AI ( aircraft, cars, boats, etc... all at 0% ). I was also parsimonic with scenery settings.

The result is a rather stable between 20 and 30 fps ( using vsync at 1/2 monitor refresh rate through NI ) and being able to do everuthing to that mighty PMDG 777 without noticing any sort of stutters, freezes, etc...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I am flying it mostly smooth on a ~2.7GHz AMD dualcore. Yes.

Of course I don't go to mega airports, I don't use AI and supermegaHD clouds.

Things is, if you keep throwing things at FSX until it is no more smooth, then it will never be smooth.

Achieving a smooth FSX experience is more of a balancing act if anything else. There are some limits, to the engine and to the hardware (when todays hardware works in a quite different way then 7 years back).

DX10 might get you a smoother experience, even with same FPS. You should try checking the guide here on AVSIM in the DX10 section on this forum.

Going to need a 10GHz cpu before FSX is always smooth at any setting and scenery.

Turn down settings is all we can do for now.

The answer is YES you can.

I'm so greatful that I have found the right settings and tweaks.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

The answer is YES you can.

I'm so greatful that I have found the right settings and tweaks.

share?

1y329d.jpg

Yes, it's a myth, and no it isn't.

People have different tolerances. If you're picky it's a myth, but if you are a glass is half full kind of person you can have a relatively smooth experience.

Personally I have tried running at 5GHz. It was a tad smoother, but not revolutionary - meaning you can't have it all: Complex airliner + extremely dense cloud coverage + complex weather + complex scenery + extremely dense AI.

I live with it simply by using P3D for low and slow flying with very complex scenery, and use FSX stock for airliners and other big and complex aircraft.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!