Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Boeing 787 engines vs 777

For the ge90-110/115 on the 777 and the genx on the newer 787. Which is better and larger in size?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

For the ge90-110/115 on the 777 and the genx on the newer 787. Which is better and larger in size?

The GENx engines should be quieter with the scalloped engine nacelles (which are actually called chevrons btw).   The engines use some of the technology that is actually used by the GE90 engines.    It seems that the 787's engines produce between 53 000 and 75 000 lbs of thrust, although I stand to be corrected.

The GE90's on the 77L,  generate between 74 000 and 115 000 lbs of thrust, which makes them slightly more powerful LOL!   The overall diameter of the GE90 engine is 132 inches (roughly the size of a 737's fuselage if I'm not mistaken).   The 787's GENx engines are 144 inches in diameter.  

So overall I think that the GENx engines will be quieter, they are slightly larger, but a touch less powerful maybe.   If you look at the MTOW of the 77L, it is 766 000 lbs whereas for the 787 it is around 502 500 lbs (for the 787-8).

I'm not sure about the thrust to weight ratios, but from the above, the 77L is bigger and heavier and needs the extra power.

Hope that helps!

Kind regards.

I'm not even sure where you're getting your information from, so....

It seems that the 787's engines produce between 53 000 and 75 000 lbs of thrust, although I stand to be corrected.

According to General Electric, between 53,000 and 74,000 pounds of thrust.

The GE90's on the 77L,  generate between 74 000 and 115 000 lbs of thrust, which makes them slightly more powerful LOL!

This sentence is so wrong it's not even funny. What you meant to say was the GE90s on the 777s, not the 777-200LR specifically, but the 777 series in general, generate between 76,000 pounds of thrust (this information also came off of the General Electric website) and 115,300 pounds of thrust. The 777-200LR would be using either the GE90-110B or the GE90-115B, which would produce 110,000 pounds and 115,300 pounds of thrust respectively. There's just no way the 777-200LR would use a low-thrust engine like the GE90-94B.

The overall diameter of the GE90 engine is 132 inches (roughly the size of a 737's fuselage if I'm not mistaken).   The 787's GENx engines are 144 inches in diameter.  

I'm not sure if you're listing engine diameter or fan diameter, but according to General Electric, the fan diameter of the GE90 is 128 inches, and maximum diameter is 135 inches. The GENx is listed as 111.1 inches in diameter.

All the information I provided came from the General Electric website, which I assume would be correct because I would hope the engine company knows what they're talking about regarding their own engines.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I am referring to the engine types in general, not one particular engine. It would be pretty stupid to indicate that one engine type could produce such a large difference in thrust. You will note that at NO POINT did I say that -110 or 115 gives this big a difference in thrust.

The idea was to give as broad an answer as possible, as these engines are fitted to various airframes. As for thae data I referenced different sites. Also, there is a big difference between engine diameter and fan diameter sir I am sure my English is not that bad, the difference should be obvious.

You can find many miniscule diferences depending on the sites you use as reference. For example your reference to 74000 as opposed to 75000, good grief brother! Or hey you know, those four onches you are off is goong to make the world stop! I see yoir point aboit the 77L reference to the lower thrust engines, my mistake, that's life, it happens!

I think the biggest issue these days are whenver someone makes a comment even in broad terms twenty people tells him that he doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. The op asked a broad question I gave a broad answer, nothing to it. This is the sort of thing that puts newcomers off.

If you wanna correct a post be my guest, but please don't tear the post apart in a way that wants to make someone look like an idiot, that's bad taste mate. No further comment, I am done here,nthe floor is yours.

I am referring to the engine types in general, not one particular engine. It would be pretty stupid to indicate that one engine type could produce such a large difference in thrust. You will note that at NO POINT did I say that -110 or 115 gives this big a difference in thrust.

Sure, I'm not saying you did. I can see you were referring to engine types in general rather than a particular engine, but I pointed out the difference in thrust for the engine relative to the particular aircraft since you pointed out a particular aircraft rather than the 777 series in general.

The idea was to give as broad an answer as possible, as these engines are fitted to various airframes. As for thae data I referenced different sites. Also, there is a big difference between engine diameter and fan diameter sir I am sure my English is not that bad, the difference should be obvious.

Sure. I was just listing the information I found, which for one engine included both engine diameter and fan diameter. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why I even bothered to list the fan diameter in the first place, but your initial post was claiming that the GENx engine was bigger than the GE90 engine. This was the correction I was trying to make.

You can find many miniscule diferences depending on the sites you use as reference. For example your reference to 74000 as opposed to 75000, good grief brother!

In my defense, you did stay you stand to be corrected. Like I said, I don't know what website you checked, I just based this off of the General Electric website.

I see yoir point aboit the 77L reference to the lower thrust engines, my mistake, that's life, it happens!

No big deal. I only made the correction, so he wouldn't get the wrong information.

I think the biggest issue these days are whenver someone makes a comment even in broad terms twenty people tells him that he doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. The op asked a broad question I gave a broad answer, nothing to it. This is the sort of thing that puts newcomers off.

If you wanna correct a post be my guest, but please don't tear the post apart in a way that wants to make someone look like an idiot, that's bad taste mate.

That was not my intent. My apologies if it seemed as though I was trying to do that. I just have the tendency to get straight to the point is all.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Ge90 is a monster, i'm fortunate that I work with them everyday, the 787 engine obviously incorporates new technologies into the design that increase its efficiency and sound levels, and that engine will get better over time as the GE90 engine range has :) Its interesting to note that the fan case of the GE90 range are exactly the same outer diameter size, its just the inner fan track that increases in size, to incorporate the bigger blades :)

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56