Sign in to follow this  
Ioan92

Paintkit Help Required

It's been over a week :(  I would love it if someone gave me a hint.  Obviously others have painted the PMDG777ER, I just need to finish my own paint.

Bruce Wood

Gah, this means that I'm going to struggle for quite some time! I'll do my best!

Take good advice from John Tavendale, he use to repaint for PMDG long time ago and he is one of the best .

Regards,

Mo

Mo45

So far, this is what it looks like, but the red line only goes along sides :( 

777a.jpg

Bruce Wood

Good start, Bruce. Unfortunately there isn't an easier way than trial and error.

This is how the AA I've been working on looks underneath:

trialanderror.png

I suggest you make a layer for each colour underneath and then moved it and size till it's aligned.

Get yourself ModelXConv and use it to preview the model and textures. It's not perfect, but you can check your progress as you go without loading up the sim every time.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Awesome John, thanks!  I will work with that.  I guess I was trying to find a way to do a line, bend it around and then cut and paste the sections of that line, if you know what I mean.  But not having to load up the sim all the time, is a fantastic help :)

Bruce Wood

Guys,

I don't know if you have noticed a layer in Photoshop or whatever image editing software you are using called "Fuselage Outline". Turn that layer on and you will see a wireframe outline of the fuselage superimposed on top of the fuselage in the PSD as shown in the image below. This particular layer is at the very top of the layers in the PSD.

paintguides.jpg

You will see a bunch of curved lines at the forward and aft bottom fuselage sections, if you paint against those curved lines in the fuselage, you should be able to wrap the lines around the fuselage neatly. Each curve connects with a particular point on the wireframe and that should allow you to line things up. This guide also gives you an idea of how the fuselage is unwrapped and flattened.

Regards,

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

Guys,

I don't know if you have noticed a layer in Photoshop or whatever image editing software you are using called "Fuselage Outline". Turn that layer on and you will see a wireframe outline of the fuselage superimposed on top of the fuselage in the PSD as shown in the image below. This particular layer is at the very top of the layers in the PSD.

paintguides.jpg

You will see a bunch of curved lines at the forward and aft bottom fuselage sections, if you paint against those curved lines in the fuselage, you should be able to wrap the lines around the fuselage neatly. Each curve connects with a particular point on the wireframe and that should allow you to line things up. This guide also gives you an idea of how the fuselage is unwrapped and flattened.

Regards,

Thats a great feature maybe I will get to use it when you go to the great P3D flightsimulator

Rich Sennett

Thanks Jason, that puts it into perspective!  That is a huge help.  Thanks John/Jason, now I should be able to get this paint done! :)

Bruce Wood

Ok,I tested it real quick when I got home tonight and this is what I came up with in 15 minutes :)

wip.jpg

It should be very doable for me now.  Thanks again for all your help guys!  Sometimes I just need a little nudge ;)

Of course, I am nowhere near done it, as you can see ;)

Bruce Wood

The "Fuselage Outline" is not quite so easy to work with when doing the top of the aircraft though :(

Might take a bit more time.  I need to work on "bending" lines to get what I need for the top; and I am not a photoshop pro....yet ;)

Bruce Wood

The "Fuselage Outline" is not quite so easy to work with when doing the top of the aircraft though  :(

Might take a bit more time.  I need to work on "bending" lines to get what I need for the top; and I am not a photoshop pro....yet ;)

Practice makes perfect you will get it but does take some time - a lot of time

Rich Sennett

Yeah, a LOT of time, sometimes!

Pete Mac Paint

PMDG Graphic Designer

Yeah, a LOT of time, sometimes!

Pete Mac Paint

PMDG Graphic Designer

There you go Pete - you would know

Rich Sennett