Sign in to follow this  
mrbutt

Hardware recommendation on product site

Hi !

I'm using the 777 on my 5 Year old pc and it works good without a maxed out fsx. Now i'm thinking about a new pc and i wonder about the recommendation on the product site. It says newest graphic card gtx 7 series with 2gb+. A while ago i read in an forum that fsx doesnt profit from new graphic cars and that a 8800gts card would be enough.

Does fsx and the 777 profit from new graphic card? Does it even profit from using 4gb of vram instead of 2gb? I thought about buyinga 660gtx with 2gb. Did somebody switch from a 6series card to a  7series card and experienced an performance inprovement?

I also wonder about the ram recommentation, it says 8gb+. I thought that fsx can only use 4gb and thereby 8gb would be enough.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

I think latest video cards help with the texture loading time lag when switching views.

Having said that I'm rather content with my older 1GB VRAM. It's worked for the NGX (compare those PMDG recommended specs), so it works for the T7, as well.

And I agree with recommended 8GB RAM, if FSX is your most demanding application. Never had physical RAM utilization over 7 GB (and even that is rare - expect some 6 GB under normal conditions).

Hi Chris,

FSX will infact make use of a high end graphics card, as long as you set up the FSX.cfg file (See the Avsim HW & SW guide for tweaks) and also by setting up Nvidia inspector correctly (also explained in the Avsim guide). That being said, you still have to have a powerful enough processor as FSX is very cpu intensive. An i5 or i7 (K series, so you can overclock  ^_^ ) in the 2nd (SandyBridge), 3rd (IvyBridge) or 4th (Haswell) generation.

Personally I have a GTX660Ti paired with a i7 3370k @4.5Ghz and I find performance very good. I'm running Nvidia inspector with AA at 4xS and 2x SGSS (these acronyms are in explained in the guide).

As for RAM, if it is going to be a FSX PC and you won't be doing video editing, 8GB is plenty! It is recommend to get high rated ram speed but I am running with 1600MHz RAM and find performance fine.

Hope this helps!

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

Oliver and james thanks for your reply!

Yes i'm planning to get an 2600k and overclock it to around 4.5 ghz. I think i will take an 660 gtx card with 2gb of ram cause i don't think that using 4gb will iprove that much.

One question regarding the ram. What Clock should i use for my overclocking plan. Is 1600 mhz enough? i thought about buying 2000mhz ram. How about the CL. I see that it's higher (cl9) than on my current ddr2 ram (5).

Thanks Guys!

Chris

No problem Chris, that was the setup I was using until I killed my 2600k  :lol: . Just remember to screw the heatsink down properly lol.

For memory as high as you can afford, with I would say 2400MHz being about the limit the overclock will handle. 2000MHz - 2400MHz should be fine. CL number = as low as you can get it. I would also check with your motherboard manufacturer the QVL which will show what memory has been tested with the board. What board are you using?

FYI - this is the memory I am currently looking at http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by-product-family/dominator-platinum-ddr3-memory/dominator-platinum-with-corsair-link-connector-1-65v-8-gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmd8gx3m2b2133c9.html Bit on the pricey side, but I bought cheap memory a little while ago and nothing but problems since.

EDIT - I see you pointed out the CL number of your old memory. I wouldn't worry about a higher CL number on newer memory. I don't know the technical inns and outs of memory and memory timings, I just know the more expensive the more probably the better!

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

Hi Jaime!

Oh thanks for the warning! I plan to get a maximus z68 from asus which has a good cooling performance. I saw in tomshardware site that they put the 2600k to 4,7 ghz. The ram looks nice, will check the price. I think with the grapics i will have the 660gtx cause i don't think the performance will worth the money i have to pay for a 7 series card.

will let you know.

greetz

chris

Over the past couple of years I've upgraded from a 5870 to a GTX580 and now a GTX680. There has been no improvement in FPS with FSX (though there has been a significant increase with other games such as IL2 CoD).

The best hardware upgrade for FSX has been the installation of SSDs. FSX now has its own dedicated 512GB SSD (I have a lot of VFR scenery!). This has made no difference to FPS but has reduced load times enormously and made inflight scenery transitions very smooth.