Sign in to follow this  
DMullert

Heading knob functionality needs tweaking

Howdy Folks!

The heading knob logic (or other knobs for that matter) needs to be improved.  Because this aircraft only offers a virtual cockpit, once the aircraft is airborne the cockpit moves around a little bit to simulate virtual movement.  If you happen to be turning the knobs while this movement is going on, all kinds of other things happen except what you're trying to do.  In my case, immediately after takeoff, while trying to change my heading the cockpit movement caused the knob movement to switch over to bank angle mode instead of heading mode.  At times it changes the direction the knob is supposed to gyrate because the location where the cursor is pointing moves around with the movement, etc....you folks get my drift here.  Anyone else experiencing this annoying thing?

Thanks!  Dennis

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

It is very annoying but it is FSX that is causing the movement problem. I can't imagine how PMDG could work around this. I preset my heading before takeoff then hand fly until I want the heading change then switch to A/P.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi all,

It also happens on descend when ATC tells you to change your heading.

I noticed that during cruise (cockpit is hardly/not moving) the knob sometimes doesn't seem to respond.

(The AP is flying the plane and I want to keep the heading on course)

Minor bug though. Love the plane!

In the introduction manual for the 777, PMDG recommends turning off the head bobbing option in the FSX options for this reason.

Two issues at play here, neither of which can really be remedied:

1. Even with the head movement option turned off, FSX will move your head position slightly (and the severity of this even varies in different parts of the world).  This makes things difficult, but honestly, none too difficult once you work with it enough.  To be honest, this is only compounded with the miniscule zoom factors people are using.
  2. The head movement may move you back into the head rest (especially if you have a camera add-on and you haven't set it up properly).  When your viewpoint moves into the headrest, the geometry that's now in front of you (that will not actually show up in front of you) prevents you from clicking on things.

Again, neither are really bugs of the 777, and are more issues of the platform.

Kyle Rodgers

Imo, learn to cope with things, no 2d no more..

Just a guess but maybe some of the people complaining are coming from "2D panelworld" and now have to accommodate themselves to use vc and thats the hard part.

Youl'l get used to it eventually and finally you discover that its not so hard after all to use mcp or other controls with that "annoying head movement" :smile: And as said before there are ways to minimize this effect so...

Mikael Leinonen

You can disable the head motion by editing the FSX.cfg file and setting all the parameters to ZERO.

When MS introduced the round world, they failed to fix the coordinate system used by everything else (you ca see this screw-up best in the clouds near the Poles). This error in positioning affects the head position in the VC for the same reason, so in certain parts of the world (particularly near the IDL and at either Pole) you will get a significantly offset head position.

It is also heading-based, so if you slew the aircraft and spin it, you will see the head position move with the change of heading. This is unfixable.

Best regards,

Robin.

If you use your mouse wheel then it will not move the bank angle by accident. I find that the idea that the mouse wheel will not move this switch is an example of the thought that PMDG put into there products. Lots of little things that make a big difference. As for the other things....well these are the limits we live with I am afraid.

Regards

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

If you use your mouse wheel then it will not move the bank angle by accident. I find that the idea that the mouse wheel will not move this switch is an example of the thought that PMDG put into there products. Lots of little things that make a big difference. As for the other things....well these are the limits we live with I am afraid.

Regards

Well put, James.

...and you're right.  I forgot to mention that mouse wheel thing.  Good point!

Kyle Rodgers

You could just use a higher zoom.

The way that I normmaly do it (even in violent turbulence) is spacebar and mouse move to center the control I want to manipulate, spacebar and scroll wheel to zoom on it, release space bar and use mouse to manipulate it, spacebar and scroll wheel to zoom back out to normal view and finally, spacebar and mouse to re-center view on next point of interest. Once you are familiar with it, the whole thing takes a lot less time to do then to say.  

It is actually a very good analoge for the process of looking, focusing and manipulating that pilots do in real life and a little effort invested in getting comfortable with it pays back dividends.

It is actually a very good analoge for the process of looking, focusing and manipulating that pilots do in real life and a little effort invested in getting comfortable with it pays back dividends.

Yep.  Heck, and even in the real plane, it's a pain in the [rear] to adjust things at times...

Normally, I just poke at the flip switch to flip the standby to active with my index finger.  Here, you can see I'm bracing my whole right hand on the radio to hit the flip with my thumb because we were getting rocked pretty hard (bonus points for anyone who can figure out what I was doing based on the information on the radio):

DSC_8666.jpg

Kyle Rodgers

bonus points for anyone who can figure out what I was doing based on the information on the radio

Switching over to UNICOM to announce your arrival intentions to the Leesburg Executive Airport traffic?