Sign in to follow this  
IAF747

Thai A330 runs off end of runway at VTBS BKK and TG quickly paints out the logo......

I was left dumbfounded that they couldn't spot the difference between our usual livery and the white tail, but there you go, not every member of the public can recognise airlines without the logo.

Incredible! Go figure!

Looks like truck beam failure at this stage....by all accounts, it was a soft landing, the truck beam must have given way after brakes were applied. I bet it was a massive shock to the pilots (not to mention the passengers!)

attachicon.gifrunway_damage.jpg

Bangkok VTBS doesn't have grooved runways......

Bangkok VTBS doesn't have grooved runways......

That's a major gouge caused by the landing gear, not grooves in the runway.

Hey, Ro,(apols, I can't get your accented) on a totally different topic, are you taking part in that fly-past this week-end featuring the B-17 to A380 that I've heard your RTE banging on about getting there early, using public transport, etc?

Air Canada did the same thing when one of their CRJ's went off the runway in Halifax (I think that is correct airport).  They claimed that after the accident they transfer ownership of the hull back to the leasing company and technically do not own the plane anymore so need to remove their logo.

This makes the most sense. The leasing company owns the aircraft, the airline owns the branding. There is an agreement to paint a livery on an aircraft that must be removed at the end or termination of the lease agreement.

A Hull Loss would be a lease termination therefore the livery must be removed.

With an accident the Media is on scene right away and photographs are distributed globally within an hour. So removing a livery 2 or 3 days later is hardly a 'cover-up'. I see it as removing the livery as per the lease termination agreement.

Matthew Kane

Hey, Ro,(apols, I can't get your accented) on a totally different topic, are you taking part in that fly-past this week-end featuring the B-17 to A380 that I've heard your RTE banging on about getting there early, using public transport, etc?

Aer Lingus will be providing an A330 and our Retro Livery A320 for the event, but I won't be at the controls of either. Unfortunately I've been snowed under with work for the past month and as such was not available to take part in the training session for the aerobatic manouvers in the sim, and as such can't act as a pilot for the event. Hoping to get a jumpseat though, should be some view from the flightdeck...  ^_^

Last airshow I did was Bray last year which was great fun but haven't had a chance since to do anything like that...  :rolleyes:

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Thanks for that Capt. How about posting video from your vantage point in the jump seat? That name, Bray..............aah, what sweet nostalgia of wet winters on that sea-front. Wonder if that band-stand is still there?

Thanks for that Capt. How about posting video from your vantage point in the jump seat? That name, Bray..............aah, what sweet nostalgia of wet winters on that sea-front. Wonder if that band-stand is still there?

The band stand is indeed still there, or at least it was a few months ago anyways, haven't been there recently.

Unfortunately there'll be no videos from the flight deck, we're forbidden from making videos, taking photo's or recording audio from our flight decks as part of our social media policy. Don't ask me why, I've not a notion but it's been that way for years now...   :( Have to get approval to film from the marketing department, get them to suprivise the filming, get them to approve the film shot and only then can it be released to the public domain. That's why you can't find pictures of our flight decks on the internet if you Google them...  :mellow:

*And people think painting over logo's is bad... :ph34r:  *

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Boy, when I was courting a Dublin lass, we used to shelter in that band-stand from the elements, and that was way back in '68. Am gob-smacked to hear that it was still there in this century!

That's a major gouge caused by the landing gear, not grooves in the runway.

Thanks Alex, I can see that without you telling me.

I think you missed what I was saying.

Grooves are horizontal and are not caused by aircraft. They are engineered.

I thought Thailand's main International airport had grooves. Well that was my understanding after the Qantas 747-400 ran off the end of the runway years ago after a huge downpour during a CB thunderstorm..... Or that was at the old airport?

Thanks Alex, I can see that without you telling me.

Grooves are horizontal and are not caused by aircraft. They are engineered.

I thought Thailand's main International airport had grooves. Well that was my understanding after the Qantas 747-400 ran off the end of the runway years ago after a huge downpour during a CB thunderstorm..... Or that was at the old airport?

That was at the old Don Muang airport. I flew to VTBS a couple of years ago and could have sworn it was grooved. The photo certainly shows otherwise.

Sent from my Mobile thing

Yea when you linked the other photo and made that comment I was a bit confused.