Sign in to follow this  
Emilio_G

Dual concentric rotary encoders in the US?

Hi,

I am looking for a distributor of Dual Concentric Rotary Encoders (with pushbutton) based in the USA. I am needing one of those devices -apparently manufactured by ELMA- but so far all the suppliers seem to be in Europe.

I contacted one in the UK but he never bothered to respond my my queries. The other has a fine product but it costs nearly $100 for a single device, that is way over my budget.

I plan to use it for a NAV/COM radio. Also,can anybody suggest me what to look for in an encoder for this application? and what to avoid? I will be writing my own software.

I am in the same boat.  I want to build controls for a Garmin 430.  What I have found so far:

Elma 37.  This looks like a high quality model and is pictured with a threaded shaft that looks good for mounting on a faceplate.  Their website (elma dot com) has a link on who to contact in the US.  I contacted the rep in my area (SW US) a couple of days ago (11 Mar 14).  He said "we don't sell through distribution, so you buy all parts through us/me directly"  i.e. they do not have an "outlet" i.e. distributor.  He said "the Elma 37 is a very common flight sim part; specifically, E37-VT6330-1 is the most common call out with 16 detents in the outer and inner shafts and with a push button function in the inner shaft that steps."  He quoted me $35.46 ea with the soft-touch feel knobs.  I don't think shipping is included (via UPS).  I emailed the rep today about a possible quantity discount.  He'll probably respond tomorrow.

Alps EC11E.   I think the right model is EC11EBB24C03.  OnlineComponents dot com has this for $7.32.  But for the life of me I can't figure out how to get knobs for this thing yet.  I think DesktopAviator is selling this model here with knobs. It's 2 for $45 plus shipping ($6.25 w/ orders over $70).  Not too bad I guess.  Also it doesn't look like it's threaded for board mount so I don't know what to do there.

Notes:  

1) Notice the difference in the life cycles of the two models.  The Elma seems much better here with 300,000 cycles.  Don't think I'll wear that out.  It also has gold plated contacts. 

2) I have not researched the detents/pulses per revolution issue yet. If you notice on the spec sheet the Elma can be ordered with different ones of these to suit.   

3) I haven't figured out which board to get for a Garmin 430 panel build.

Any recommendations from folks would be appreciated.  This has taken me a LOT more time than I ever expected.

The distributor for the Elma encoder got back to me.  Quantity discount would only be $2.30 per switch.  So not really worth it to try to get a bulk order together.  I think any savings would be eaten up in shipping to anyone going in on the deal.  I think i will just get the Elma 37.  It's threaded, the knobs come with and it seems to be a better encoder.

Opinions?

propwashsim dot com (USA) has the dual encoders.  They with have the dual encoders with switch within about a month.  Each encoder comes with either black or gray knobs and a pcb board

WELCOME! klarson - 1st post.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

propwashsim dot com (USA) has the dual encoders. They with have the dual encoders with switch within about a month. Each encoder comes with either black or gray knobs and a pcb board

A bit tricky to find.  I know nothing about doing anything with electronics and flight sim but I can see how this would be handy.

https://www.tindie.com/products/propwashsim/dual-concentric-encoders/

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

There is a US source for Elma E37 dual concentric encoders at SimWareKits.com  .  Chuck is in Wisconsin and gets them bulk for his G530 Sim hardware.  It may not be on his website but he sells them at a considerable discount to the Elma direct price if you ask.  They are super high quality and have nice rubberized soft touch knobs. Leo Bodnar them in Europe but the price is much higher and they have to be shipped from overseas.