Sign in to follow this  
steve inwood

How The Sound Has Been Done For The T7

The T7 is far more advanced in regards to the sound .cfg

It is channelled left and right with sounds where as the NGX was just mono.

so like this engine 1&2 where in mono on the NGX

T7 the sounds are in left & right channel to get a better blend of sounds on flight deck which works very well!!!!

So there is no sound issues at all with this Plane .

If you experience sound issues update your soundcard or even buy a soundcard if you don't have one. If you do try setting up your sounds as the manuals states.

The FSX sound engine is not the best but Armen and the guys did a grand job on the sounds . I have had over a 58 Hours in this bird now and I have no issues with the sound.

ohh thx for that Steve,

i think that, what you think is a feature... it isnt, it seams to be a bug... engine sounds in FSX should be 3D sounds not only 2 channel stereo but 4, 5 or more channels. the problem here is, a 3D sound have to be mono !

...seams, if we convert the engine sounds back to mono, the broken surround sound is repaired then (aft channels). :P

JG

PMDG-DC-6-banner.jpg

...just checked some interrior engine sounds,

the samples have 2 channels stereo, where one channel is silent, means there is only 1 channel hearable from that samples, but they are stil stereo samples. that is, from what i know a no go in a 3D sound enviroment.

JG

PMDG-DC-6-banner.jpg

JG ? (please use your real name)

The current 777 soundset uses different techniques in order to improve the engine sound experience compared to previous PMDG aircraft - it is fair to say that countless numbers of customers have already noticed this big improvement in the cockpit engine sounds.

The reality is the FSX surround sound functionality is complete rubbish - they have "half" programmed it and forgot to implement the most important element of surround sound, which is delaying the signal of the mono sound files to each speaker to create the necessary sound space and depth that makes surround sound actually "surround". Sending files to multiple speakers alone doesnt create a surround sound experience - it is the way you intentionally delay various sounds to each speaker - this is the fundamental point.  You know how your brain can tell which direction a sound comes from - it is from the slight delay of the same sound arriving to your left and right ears - without the delay your brain cannot establish anything about the sound.

Since FSX did not implement these important delays, effectively you are actually experiencing mono sound on all the speakers. FSX is essentially delivering the same mono sound to all the speakers without significant delays -  It does not matter if you have 2 / 4 / 5 or even 500 speakers - the lack of delay programming by FSX means the reality is that you are experiencing a mono sound on all your speakers - which quite frankly is rubbish.  Some one on another post said it well - the sounds in FSX sound "canned" - which is an accurate observation - because it is all mono - there is no width, no depth, space, immersion, directional information generated by the sounds no matter how many speakers you are using,

A few months back Steve suggested (thank you Steve!) I try the method used in FS9 - ie using stereo files instead of mono, but with one side of the file silent - why ?  Well this gives me total control to deliver the timing delays in each sound per engine file between the left and right speakers.  The results are instantly noticable to the trained ear on a good sound system. This is why the 777 sound set sounds so deep, spacious, immersive and wide and has an incredible 3 dimensional depth - and so many people have noticed the same observations on this forum already. This massive improvement in sound experience is a direct consequence of dropping the mono FSX sound functionality from the cockpit and reverting to the stereo file feature set of FS9. There is no doubt that this was the correct decision to make - I have lost count of all the positive feedback relating to the new sound design methods used.  

Inevitably, we have a small handful of people not happy of this change because as a result their engine sounds dont come out of the rear speakers any more.  We at PMDG dont like to disappoint our customers -  so if you prefer the vastly inferior mono sound version of sounds so that they come out of the rear speakers instead of the immensely immersive audio experience you get with the 777, then we will provide you with the mono files so you can get back to what you are used to.  Its a shame that some people prefer an inferior sound set just so they hear them from the back speakers - but if thats what you prefer then thats your choice.

At this time, I have no information as to when the files will be available to you right now - more information as soon as I know it.

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

I noticed it as well and thought it odd, but then I used to be a 2d panel only kinda guy, now I've changed obviously and want nothing to do with 2d panels. Thanks for explaining what's going on with the sounds, I just need to know now how to configure the sound settings on my speaker, should I switch the sound from 5.1 to stereo?

Its a shame that some people prefer an inferior sound set just so they hear them from the back speakers - but if thats what you prefer then thats your choice.

Absolutely- this is imperative (having sounds come from the rear) for those building a full size flight deck, and for obvious reasons. However, how well would simply moving the "front" speakers behind you work?

I noticed it as well and thought it odd, but then I used to be a 2d panel only kinda guy, now I've changed obviously and want nothing to do with 2d panels. Thanks for explaining what's going on with the sounds, I just need to know now how to configure the sound settings on my speaker, should I switch the sound from 5.1 to stereo?

Yes - definately - You will get by far the best 777 audio experience setting your soundcard to 2.1 (stereo) and using two speakers for playback.

Absolutely- this is imperative (having sounds come from the rear) for those building a full size flight deck, and for obvious reasons. However, how well would simply moving the "front" speakers behind you work?

This is an interesting idea - maybe with this method you can have the current 777 high quality stereo sounds in the back speakers while having the cockpit panel sounds infront ? Some one please try this:

1 - Set the sound card to stereo (2.1)  - Not  sure about this ... but maybe even is stereo mode you can use the outputs of the rear speaker are a pair of sterer speaker outputs that are not in surround mode?

2 - If part 1 is possible - assign the FSX sound to the rear speakers - so the engines play the 777 current engines via the rear speakers in Stereo.

3 - Assign the PMDG cockpit panel sounds to the front two speakers via the FMC sound options.

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Hi Armen,

many thx for explaining your approach with the T7`s sound system, i didnt say that it is bad or something, it simply wasnt clear for me why we lost the back speaker`s engine sounds. The sound delays youre talking about regard to the noises and sounds generated directly inside the flight deck, which of course need a delay to simulate its reflections from the back wall of the flight deck ? on the other hand you audible mount the engines of the plane to the front of the plane for ppl that are used to hear the engine sounds comming from the back speakers, what i know is, that i dont need a delay for engine sounds which are physicaly comming from the back, they get their reflections naturly from the front walls of my cockpit, but tickle the hairs in my neck. :lol:

...ohh and btw. i realy appreciate that we have the possibility for this nice direct communication to the dev`s and kindly ask if you could have a look at this little request also: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/419680-req-pmdg-777-sounds-continue-playing-if-fsx-is-not-in-focus/#entry2784980

JG

ps: i wonder if this guy make use of his ears to know from where the sounds are comming ?

phil_spector.jpg

PMDG-DC-6-banner.jpg

I just use headphones -- you hear all the finer details and the soundstage is a lot clearer that way, too.  Far more immersive, IMHO.

I've been playing some replays of my landing at OMDB via FSRecorder, and I could swear I'm hearing the air conditioning packs in the cabin go off and on during takeoff and landing from my vantage point in the cabin wing view. That is one of the most memorable sounds I hear on my real flights, and I had thought they cannot be played in the cabin.  It's a distinct "whish" sound, and they noticeably drop out on the start of the takeoff run and at a point when the flaps are extended during short finals.  Are packs sounds modeled? 

Also, thanks for going to such efforts to create such a realistic soundset, with the new stereo effect.   I can't help but wonder what FSX would be like if the Micrsoft developers made the effort to put some care into their code like the team at PMDG did on this and other PMDG products.   Thanks to developers like PMDG and others who are releasing so many "game changers" right now and in the near future.

This is an interesting idea - maybe with this method you can have the current 777 high quality stereo sounds in the back speakers while having the cockpit panel sounds infront ? Some one please try this:

1 - Set the sound card to stereo (2.1)  - Not  sure about this ... but maybe even is stereo mode you can use the outputs of the rear speaker are a pair of sterer speaker outputs that are not in surround mode?

2 - If part 1 is possible - assign the FSX sound to the rear speakers - so the engines play the 777 current engines via the rear speakers in Stereo.

3 - Assign the PMDG cockpit panel sounds to the front two speakers via the FMC sound options.

yep, that sounds very good, seams a perfect solution using a second sound card, i will test that as soon my sound equipment is compl. back online. B)

JG

PMDG-DC-6-banner.jpg

How do we go about getting the NGX-style sounds that will be created for customers who prefer the "rubbish" method of FSX sound, as per post #5.  I fly a lot of planes and I'm not looking forward to having to rearrange my entire sound output system to accomodate just this one, and then have to switch it back to fly nearly everything else, especially as my computer frequently doubles as a sort of entertainment center for movies and music.  Will these other sounds be available as a download on the PMDG website, be included as a selectable option on a future version of the 777, or is it best to open up a support ticket?   Still too much to explore with the NGX, so I haven't got the 777 yet, but I'm just trying to get a handle on what will be required to set things up with consistency, when I do.  King.