Sign in to follow this  
Maniac59

Reverse Thrust

One reason to use manual throttle because you go to idle 10-15 seconds before touchdown then as you you touch you can go straight to reverse!

What do you mean with "manual throttle"? Of course I don't use A/T and I pull the throttle back to idle already about 10-15 seconds before touch down, but the reverse engages only after the idle goes to ground idle and this happens only some seconds after touch down.

Is the nose wheel still in the air when you attempt to engage T/R?

No, it is on the ground.

James Goggi

What do you mean with "manual throttle"? Of course I don't use A/T and I pull the throttle back to idle already about 10-15 seconds before touch down, but the reverse engages only after the idle goes to ground idle and this happens only some seconds after touch down.

I don't see this at all. I can operate reverse thrust immediately after touchdown. It is independent of the flight/ground idle transition.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Use the Saitek control panel to create a small null zone at the idle end of the throttle travel. Based on your description I'd say chances are the throttle is sending a slight signal at the idle position and that is cancelling the reverse thrust. I have a Saitek X52 with a null zone at the idle point and I have not encountered this issue.

Cheers

Hello Mark

Could you be more more specific please? I have a problem and looks like with your suggestion I can solve it

When I try to apply the reverse when the airplane is in the ground I can't, I don't know why but when I'm in taxi to the gates I apply the reverse and works perfect

My configuration is : ( I have the x52 Saitek)

IN FSX i have assigend 0 to Reverse Quickly and my x52 profile the botton that I have in reverse (button D in the Throttle) I have a Advance command named "Reverse" and in that actions i have in PRESS section, number 0 with 15 seconds when the button is released, same configuration as PRESS in REPEAT and finally in RELEASE section I have F1 (F1 is assigned in "Throttle out" in my FSX)  (The action release in the advance command is for back the Throttle to the end possition when botton D in the throttle is released)

But is I said is not working that all just in Taxi when everything is slow but in landings is not working :(

May be you can be more specefic in your description :D

Please help :(

Thanks a lot

Hello Guys

I'm using X52 and is very simple use reverse Throtte without FSUIPC

Go to Profile editor for X52 and select the button that you want for reverse

- Right click on the button and select New Advance Command

- Select a Name for that command for example Reverse or name wathever you want

- In Press Section push and relsease F2 (Be careful F2 should be assigned in FSX Buttons and Keys as Throttle Decrease NOT Decrease quicky)

- In Repeat same thing push and release F2

- in Release section Select F1 (In FSX Buttons/Keys F1 should be assigned as Throttle cut)

Translating the command to words :D 

When you push button assigned in the X52 the FSX will take as you are pressing the F2 key if you still pressing the button the Repeat section will interpret that u are still pressing the F2 and when you release the botton the FSX will interpret that u are pressing F1 (Throttle cut)

Simple

Other thing I saw in some forums that some guys are asking for move the spoilers gradually because in FSX config we just have ARM and activate (don't remember the name) So if you want to move the spoilers gradually you should use the Precision Slide and to configure this in FSX just go to Control Axes and select Spoilers Axis and when u are in the box move the Precision Slide and that's it :D

Hope this helps

(sorry for my horrible english structure lol)

Grettings

I experience the same thing as OP. ILS autoland. So the throttles already go to idle in the flare 15-20 feet above ground.

It doesn't seem to want to go to REV immediately. I have to hold down F2 for a second or two before the amber REV is annunciated on the EICAS. No FSUIPC.

Remember the 777's N1 rotation speed. If you pay attention to the EICAS on roll-out you'll see the engines are still moving to idle even on the ground, hence the delay. Reverse thrust will only activate once the engines are at idle, which does take a few seconds to occur. So no mistake from PMDG.

Remember the 777's N1 rotation speed. If you pay attention to the EICAS on roll-out you'll see the engines are still moving to idle even on the ground, hence the delay. Reverse thrust will only activate once the engines are at idle, which does take a few seconds to occur. So no mistake from PMDG.

FSX does not wait for N1 to go to idle before enabling reverse. You can check this by setting take off thrust then holding F2. The reversers deploy well before N1 gets to idle.

There is no mistake by PMDG. Any problem relates to how users calibrate their throttle hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ki9cAAb.jpg

Yeah I've had the reverses actually go to REV straight after touchdown, maybe once.... normally have to keep spamming my shortcut to get them out shortly after touchdown (pressing F2 has no different effect). Rather annoying - even with AT disconnected throughout the approach to landing phase! 

Hi there,

just did a touchdown. Manual flying but with engaged autothrottle in spd sel (147kts). Thrust got to idle about 20-30ft above runway and I was able to hit F2 to go to reverse. I'm also using X52 but I managed to follow pmdg suggestions to NOT calibrate or assign buttons in fsuipc or another tool.

Yeah I've had the reverses actually go to REV straight after touchdown, maybe once.... normally have to keep spamming my shortcut to get them out shortly after touchdown (pressing F2 has no different effect). Rather annoying - even with AT disconnected throughout the approach to landing phase!

I always get reverse straight after touchdown. We both run FSX with PMDG addons. So neither can be the cause of any difference. If our results are different the only explanation can be how we set up and calibrate our throttle hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ki9cAAb.jpg

I had that before when I first started playing with the 777. My solution was to press F1 first to force the engines to idle then press F2, the REV will deploy. I used the Saitek throttle for the thrust and what happened to me was the thrust wasnt actually at idle when I reduce the throttle physically at idle, for some reason there's a mismatch which I don't bother to fix it. So give it a try, press F1 then F2 it should work.

It should always work in A/T because it make sure the thrust lever position in the virtual cockpit and the thrust is reduced to idle regardless of what the throttle postiom of my throttle quadrant is by the time the airplanes touch down. Hence Rev will deploy by pressing F2.

Rev will deploy once th main gears are on the ground and thrust at forward idle. In real life if you watch some of the YouTube video you can see it is already out before the nose wheels touch down. And once deploys it generates quite a noticeable nose down pitching moment especially when selecting full reverse. So pilots need to "catch the nose" or it will slam on the ground.

Hope it helps.

Rev will deploy once th main gears are on the ground and thrust at forward idle.

I agree with the rest of your post but this sentence isn't quite right. The FSX thrust reverse simulation doesn't care what the thrust is. The important thing is that main wheels are on ground and thrust lever in the reverse range. This is why your method of hitting F1 then F2 generally works. F1 puts the levers at idle and F2 moves them into the reverse range.

The thing is PMDG seem to be modifying the FSX thrust lever position to achieve approach idle. If this conflicts in some way with the user's hardware calibration method chosen then it will cause problems, because approach idle remains set for a few seconds after touchdown. I assume this is why PMDG recommend avoiding calibration with FSUIPC.

ki9cAAb.jpg

For the pilot of the real 777 to be able to raise the Reverser Levers, the forward Thrust levers must be all the way back.

This unlocks a mechanism below the TLs (that you cant see) so that you can raise the Reverser Levers.

N1 has nothing to do with it, it is a "simple" mechanical lock.

Approach idle is a higher N1 setting at the SAME (all the way back) idle thrust lever position (on the real 777).

The EEC takes care of this (two different N1 values at the same TL position) for you :-)

So approach idle should have nothing to do with it because as long as the TLs of the real 777 are physically at idle you can raise the reverser levers.

I dont think PMDG simulated approach idle wrong, as in moving the TLs fwd to reach a higher approach N1. But I cant check right now.

On a side note, after you have raised the Reverser Levers the reverser doors will open.

This will takes a second or two and during that time you can not move the reverser levers aft. You are stuck at reverse idle. It is called the interlock position.

After the reverser doors fully open the interlock disengages and you can then pull the reversers aft to increase N1.

So be patient :-)

Rob Robson

N1 has nothing to do with it, it is a "simple" mechanical lock.

REMOVED BOEING COPYRIGHTED IMAGERY - please do not post again.

Dugald Walker

Yes that picture shows it all....I am afraid it will not be there for all too long :-(

Rob Robson