Sign in to follow this  
moss1

What tweak to stop heavy turning tendency in all props?

Hi everyone,

I want to use Xplane 10 in the worst way, but every add on I have turns way beyond normal, and the amount of adjustments needed are way beyond what I can see as normal. I see this on the dash8, MU2, C208 carenado etc...

Is there a tweak that I could apply to put this to bed once and for all, even if it's not realistic. This is the one and only thing that prevents me from getting any enjoyment from xplane. I have my hardware calibrated. Thanks in advance to any solution. :-)

Best, Jeff

Thanks for the link. :-)

Just curious....If the plane doesn't use the SASL plugin, is there a tweak that can be applied in plane maker that fixes this?

Best, Jeff

Even if an aircraft doesn't come with SASL plugins, you simply drag & drop the SASL folder on the aircraft folder and the torque fix sasl script :-) As simple as that :-)

I had all of my default X-plane aircraft SASL'ed for the torque tweak :-)

In plane maker you can do many different things, but the only one really effective, even if it also compromises other flight dynamics aspects, is to use the Stability Augmentation System.

I used it to overcome not only the torque bug but also the overdone effects of crosswind on taxi and takeoff while your wheels are still in contact with the ground ...

See here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/396062-fine-tuning-the-default-aircraft-in-xp10/#entry2562856

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/398847-of-course-your-guess-was-right/#entry2587953

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hi there J.C.,

First, thanks so much for the tips. I did try to fix the issue in two AC so far. The Carenado C208 Caravan and the FlyJSim Dash 8. For some reason, it is still just as bad as before. All I did was add the torque tweak code into the Carenado avionics.lua file as instructed and it remains the same. The Dash 8 I added the the SASL plugin and torque fix, but now the avionics do not work. I am sure in the Dash8 it is because I am not doing it correctly and have to be careful with that product, but the Carenado I am very surprised it did not work at all. Is there a guide anywhere that is available? For example, I watched a video yesterday of X-Aviation's J32 which I do have, and it took off straight as an arrow. I am usually pretty good with working with cfg files and codes, but this has me stumped. I just want to be able to get this issue taken care of so I can use Xplane as much as i do FSX. I must be missing something. Any insight you can give is appreciated beyond words. 

Best, Jeff

Make a backup copy of the DASH8, open in Planemaker and let one engine rotate left and one right. Enjoy your smooth rides.

The MU2 also takes off straight... - It automatically add's aileron trim when you set the aircraft in the rw ready for takeoff ;-)

If you watch a video of a twin / single prop, you can't tell if the pilot dialled in any aileron trim, or if he's moving the yoke / control wheel ...

Also, since in X-plane ( just like in MSFS ) setting trim on a mechanical control surface will not make it move when the airflow starts building over it, you will also see no movement starting to happen on the controls in the cockpit :-/

Can you send me the lines you added to the Carenado, with that torque fix?

Beware that for a twin you need two different variables, one for the left and other for the right props.... and... you have to check if t is CW or CCW. For CCW props the values of the variable have to be negative!

P.S.: On what I still consider the best flight dynamics model ever built for a flight simulator, DCS World and for instance it's P51d, correctly shows the effects of seting trim as soon as speed builds up. Even stopped on the floor, if you add significative winds from 12 o'clock, you'll be able to see the control surface starting to move because of the force exerted on it by the trim tab :-)

P.P.S: Ralf's suggestion is also very good!  :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Thanks guys. :-)

jcomm, I can't thank you enough for all of the insight you take the time to give the community members here. I am at the office right now  :-(  Rainy Monday too....

In any event, I will try this evening to get it to you on here. Thanks again as always!

Best, Jeff

Jeff, I'm always glad to be able to help :-)

In this "torque fix" all of the credit goes to Brett Stumpter and Dan Klaue ( x-plane.org / Carenado ), who introduced it to the community.

You can read more, for instance here:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=69706&page=2#entry757374

;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

I'll add something of interest.....perhaps..

I recently got back into R/C (radio control). So....why not check for "torque"? Afterall, a lot of R/C models actually have higher thrust to weight ratios, than most full size airplanes. Here is what I've tested so far. Hold the planes vertical, with throttle at full, and the fusealage easily wants to rotate opposite of the props direction. That's just as I thought it would.

Rotate off the ground early, and see the left wing dip. Correct with aileron. That's what I'd expect too! For the next test, I trimmed for straight and level flight at half throttle. Then I jammed the throttle full forward, without touching the aileron stick. There was no dip of the wing. No tendency to require aileron correction, and especially aileron trim. That's what I expected too, and have been saying all along. One model actually yawed a bit to the right, because it has some pretty good right offset in the motor mount. All models have some right engine cant. I didn't try the roll on it's back at just above stall speed, because I've done that with models in the past. Some of my smaller models, don't even have ailerons. Just some extra diheadral in the wings, and they turn with rudder. Point is, the lift from the wings, and whatever the spiral slipstream effect is having on the wings and tail surfaces, is enough to easily overcome the effects of motor/propeller torque. What it comes down too, is that I just didn't have to mess with aileron trims at all.........for any power changes. Just like the real planes I've flown.

P.S. I have a big B-25 bomber twin, with an 80" wingspan. Someday, I'll try that one....for torque effects, when I finish it.

I had all of my default X-plane aircraft SASL'ed for the torque tweak :-)

Even the MU-2? Does it work for this plane Jcomm? Cheers Kris P.

Nope !  It interferes somehow with it's complex Gizmo plugin. I tried but the results were unexpected... :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Edit the Mu in Planemaker, see above. Works great for me.

Yes, for twins, "Ralf's method" :-) is probably the most efficient one...

For singles.... you can add an invisible prop rotating opposite the main one, but that would be rather ... unrealistic :-/

... the rest, never mind... :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Thanks JComm and Ralf .. much appreciated! :) .. Yes, I've done the plane-maker tweak.