Sign in to follow this  
19AB67

777 with 1 or 3 aux tanks: Which airlines purchased it?

Hi folks, 

which airlines purchased the 777-200LR with 1, which with 3 aux tanks? 

After having flown CYVR-ACA33-YSSY and back YSSY-ACA34-CYVR I haven't had the impression that it is needed at all. Ok winds were not that strong on both legs, but even the centre tanks was not really full. 

Thanx in advance! 

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

Captain Randazzo wrote on the topic (thread: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/402556-15mar13-let-the-previews-begin/)

'You will notice that this particular LR is equipped with the AUX fuel tank, as evidenced by the switch layout of the fuel control panel in the lower center of the image.

We have provided a range of aircraft options to match those offered by Boeing, so you will be able to select whether your LR carries no aux fuel, one aux fuel tank, or three.  The entire fuel system is managed properly according to Boeing's specs, and even adjusts the operation of normal fuel flow and jettison to protect the airplane CG from exiting the CG envelope.  (More on this in a future update!)'

Andreas Berg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

Hi,

I believe the 777F does not have aux tanks.

Although in the options menu you can still choose aux tanks in the 777F.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Greg

Greg Marshall

Windows 10 x64 | i7-6700K Skylake 4.2 GHz | 16GB DDR4 2133MHz | 750W PSU | GTX 970 4GB | Asus Z170 PRO Gaming Motherboard | H80i V2 CPU Cooler | Cooler Master Silencio 652S Case | Asus 23" Frameless Full HD Monitor | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for OS & 2TB Seagate HDD for FSX            

Excellent question.  I'm flying the Delta LR from Atlanta to Dubai, about 13 hours 40 minutes, and the aux tanks were never used at all.   Seem like this will be hard to obtain information, but perhaps a search on airliners.net may yield results if they show the overhead panel. 

It would be neat if someone could create a wiki page that details some of this hard to find inside data by airline for the 777, such as commonly used cost index, descent policy speed, takeoff flaps setting, and of course, if aux tanks are installed.   It would be a waste not to find out and share this data as PMDG put so much effort into building such an accurate simulation!

I believe the 777F does not have aux tanks.

Yup, have read this, too. 

Andreas Berg

Yup, have read this, too. 

Is this a fault in the FMC allowing it then?

Greg

Greg Marshall

Windows 10 x64 | i7-6700K Skylake 4.2 GHz | 16GB DDR4 2133MHz | 750W PSU | GTX 970 4GB | Asus Z170 PRO Gaming Motherboard | H80i V2 CPU Cooler | Cooler Master Silencio 652S Case | Asus 23" Frameless Full HD Monitor | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for OS & 2TB Seagate HDD for FSX            

No airline has ordered the LR with any aux tanks. There is a tradeoff between taking off with excess fuel weight and scheduling an intermediate stop. Both burn fuel and landing obviously generates expenses, but at a certain point somewhere around 12-15 hours it becomes more economical to plan a stop because of the additional revenue payload which can be carried. Additionally, the aux tanks themselves must be counted in the gross weight, removing more revenue-earning payload. Obviously the passengers would rather fly nonstop, but even they are not willing to pay a premium, such as Singapore Airlines was charging on the Newark to Singapore route in an A340 that can only carry 100 people. Everyone pays business class prices. That is why the flight is being discontinued in a month.

Ben

Is this a fault in the FMC allowing it then?

Is it a fault in the FMC for allowing auto cruise when real planes can't alter time?

Kyle Rodgers

Is it a fault in the FMC for allowing auto cruise when real planes can't alter time?

Ha... you know some people on this forum are going to answer in the affirmative... 

Obviously the passengers would rather fly nonstop,

Not really. At these flight times, more people would consider a stop, especially in Y. Even in J and F, while it is better, it is still hell of a lot of time to be closed in an airplane.

Auto cruise is a good feature if you dont have the time to do long haul.

Im just saying that the 777F does not have aux tanks so why can this be selected.

It should only be available in the 777LR.

Greg

Greg Marshall

Auto cruise is a good feature if you dont have the time to do long haul.

I wasn't questioning that...

Im just saying that the 777F does not have aux tanks so why can this be selected.

The real 777F doesn't have a one-point-twenty-one Gigawatt flux capacitor - why can auto cruise be selected?

While I'm just busting your chops, keep in mind that the FS ACTIONS menu itself isn't a real function of the FMS.  I understand part of your concern (it leads people to believe that it's an option on the F), but really, it isn't like someone miscoded a function of an actual system or anything.  Just like the Auto Cruise feature, or the Unlimited Fuel feature in the sim, if you don't want to use it, don't.

Still, I'll pass it along to the team.

Kyle Rodgers

I would just like to ask... is the option really not available? Or is it just not outwardly advertised...

I mean - if I walked in to Boeing, and told them "Here is my unlimited credit card. Now, I want a 777 freighter, and put three aux tanks in it.", will they go "No can do" or will they go "Sure, let me get the price list"?

I wasn't questioning that...

The real 777F doesn't have a one-point-twenty-one Gigawatt flux capacitor - why can auto cruise be selected?

While I'm just busting your chops, keep in mind that the FS ACTIONS menu itself isn't a real function of the FMS.  I understand part of your concern (it leads people to believe that it's an option on the F), but really, it isn't like someone miscoded a function of an actual system or anything.  Just like the Auto Cruise feature, or the Unlimited Fuel feature in the sim, if you don't want to use it, don't.

Still, I'll pass it along to the team.

I agree with all your points and if I had not read the manual I would never had known that the 777F did not have the option of aux tanks, and also for example ADF's.

I was just worried incase it was a problem with my PMDG 777 letting me pick the option.

Thanks

Greg

Greg Marshall