Sign in to follow this  
19AB67

777 with 1 or 3 aux tanks: Which airlines purchased it?

I would just like to ask... is the option really not available? Or is it just not outwardly advertised...

I mean - if I walked in to Boeing, and told them "Here is my unlimited credit card. Now, I want a 777 freighter, and put three aux tanks in it.", will they go "No can do" or will they go "Sure, let me get the price list"?

I guess they would demand you pay up front because if you run your cargo airline like that you would soon be bankrupt! I presume in cargo ops carrying a lot more cargo is preferable to extended range. I also guess that there must be room for aux tanks in the freighter and if not I wonder why. 

Having thought a little more I would think that the freighter is only certified to fly with normal tanks and the passenger LR probably had more airframes available for certification and could therefore the different tank combinations could be tested. 

Edit: The aux tanks go in the rear lower cargo hold so for extra range in the freighter you would permanently lose that cargo space. 

Hi folks, 

which airlines purchased the 777-200LR with 1, which with 3 aux tanks? 

After having flown CYVR-ACA33-YSSY and back YSSY-ACA34-CYVR I haven't had the impression that it is needed at all. Ok winds were not that strong on both legs, but even the centre tanks was not really full. 

Thanx in advance! 

Yep - Would agree in that even for a route of that length, you probably would not need the auxiliary.

e.g., zfw 185 (so payload of 40 tons), fuel around 132 means a tow of around 317. so in theory i could take another 13 tons of fuel without needing the additional capacity provided by the auxiliary tanks. Forecast is for 9 tons remaining (forecast winds not too strong)

I think I'll leave this route though for another day  :smile:

Hi folks, 

which airlines purchased the 777-200LR with 1, which with 3 aux tanks? 

After having flown CYVR-ACA33-YSSY and back YSSY-ACA34-CYVR I haven't had the impression that it is needed at all. Ok winds were not that strong on both legs, but even the centre tanks was not really full. 

Thanx in advance! 

QUANTAS is the only airline that played with the idea of the AUX option for a non-stop LHR-SYD had they bought the -LR, understanding winds would require a stop on SYD-LHR. Singapore might have also evaluated the idea for a SIN-NYC flight.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I guess they would demand you pay up front because if you run your cargo airline like that you would soon be bankrupt! I presume in cargo ops carrying a lot more cargo is preferable to extended range. I also guess that there must be room for aux tanks in the freighter and if not I wonder why. 

I would have made a ridonkulous amount of money creating an actual functioning weather radar for FSX. And I mean Bill Gates Looks Poor Next To Me kind of money. I want the 777F to carry around my Skoda. I will ferry myself around in a 747 two flight levels up.

Having thought a little more I would think that the freighter is only certified to fly with normal tanks and the passenger LR probably had more airframes available for certification and could therefore the different tank combinations could be tested. 

That actually makes sense, sorta. I doubt number of frames available would factor into this, but I guess it could be "F" model could be not certified. Not until I whip my credit card that is.

I know for fact that Air Canada's 77Ls do have the 3 aux tanks in the belly, both from pilots I've talked to (who claim that it was planning for the future, because the CYVR YSSY doesn't use them, and that is currently ACA's longest route), and if you check their website, they list the fuel capacity of their 77L as 202,287 L (which is some 70L shy of what the FCOMs say the 3 Aux fuel tanks bring the capacity up to). Compare that to the listed ~181,000L of fuel their 77Ws can hold, ACAs six 77Ls could be the only 6 with them! But they're indeed there, albeit in a hereto unused state.

The 777 is technically offered as a BBJ too.  Presumably BBJ operators would order the 3 aux tanks.  If I had zillions of dollars, I would go to Boeing and ask them to turn it into a Combi BBJ... B)   Kind of like a giant PC-12 lol.

QUANTAS

Queensland

And

Northern

Territory

Aerial

Services

which gives QANTAS (minus the U)... B)

....Oh if I had a dollar for everytime someone spelt it wrong. :Money Eyes: :Money Eyes:

I would just like to ask... is the option really not available? Or is it just not outwardly advertised...

I mean - if I walked in to Boeing, and told them "Here is my unlimited credit card. Now, I want a 777 freighter, and put three aux tanks in it.", will they go "No can do" or will they go "Sure, let me get the price list"?

Since it's not a certified and tested config for the 77F, even if they sold it to you, I'm not sure the FAA would let it fly...

Emirates had 1 AUX tanks upon delivery on their first 4  -200LR's. Tails EWA/B/C/D.

They were removed from the first 4 and none of their 10 -200LR's are currently flying around with them.

More space for cargo and either way the -200LR is a easy 18 hour aircraft. 

For Emirates:

777-200LR MTOW: 343,369kg 

777-200LRF MTOW:347,451kg

I know for fact that Air Canada's 77Ls do have the 3 aux tanks in the belly, both from pilots I've talked to

Emirates had 1 AUX tanks upon delivery on their first 4  -200LR's. Tails EWA/B/C/D.

They were removed from the first 4 and none of their 10 -200LR's are currently flying around with them.

Cool, thanx. 

8^(Currently I have access to my sim...)

Does setting 1 or 3 AUX tanks change the dry weight of the aircraft in the simulation? 

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

While I'm just busting your chops, keep in mind that the FS ACTIONS menu itself isn't a real function of the FMS. I understand part of your concern (it leads people to believe that it's an option on the F), but really, it isn't like someone miscoded a function of an actual system or anything. Just like the Auto Cruise feature, or the Unlimited Fuel feature in the sim, if you don't want to use it, don't.

Still, I'll pass it along to the team.

Kyle, the FS ACTIONS menu gives us helpful SIMULATOR related options. The aux fuel tanks is a RW option on the 777 that isn't available on the F and given PMDG's "If it's not available on the real aircraft it won't be available in our sim" stance, I think it's a fair question to ask which is in no way similar to FS ACTIONS that PMDG provide.

I don't think there is a problem with having an Aux tank option for the LRF, as long as it is an option that can be turned off, who cares.  No one is forcing anyone to fly it a certain way. 

Besides, who is to say that 10 years from now that some freight operator wouldn't order an LRF with aux tanks?  The LRF is a relatively new airframe so it stands to reason there are options that might be considered by RW operators in the future.  LOL some rich 777-BBJ operator probably even ordered airstairs via cargo deck ala Air Force One....I would B)

Is it a fault in the FMC for allowing auto cruise when real planes can't alter time?

Allowing the AUX tanks on the F version almost contradicts the whole winglets on the 737-600.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4

Jared Listinsky

Besides, who is to say that 10 years from now that some freight operator wouldn't order an LRF with aux tanks?  The LRF is a relatively new airframe so it stands to reason there are options that might be considered by RW operators in the future.

I would think that with a freighter, you'd max out on weight before you even filled the fuel tanks, so I don't see what having auxiliary fuel tanks on the freighter would do. With a maximum take-off weight of 766,800 pounds, empty weight of 318,300, and maximum fuel capacity of 47,890 gallons, or 319,426 pounds, you could only carry 129,074 pounds of cargo. With a maximum structural payload of 228,700 pounds of cargo, you're carrying only about 56% of what the aircraft is capable of carrying in terms of weight. If you max out the payload, you could only carry 219,800 pounds of fuel, so you haven't even filled the fuel tanks if you do that.

With three auxiliary tanks, you can carry 53,515 gallons of fuel, which is 356,945 pounds of fuel. If you fill those tanks, you would only be able to carry 91,555 pounds of cargo. Now you're only carrying 40% of what the plane is capable of carrying in terms of weight. Do you see the issue? Sure, with FedEx, you would quite likely max out on volume before you max out on weight, but I don't know of any flight they fly that is so long they would require the auxiliary fuel tanks. All these numbers came from the Boeing website and the Boeing aircraft documentation found on their site.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.