Sign in to follow this  
ajpongress

Recommendations for complete chart solution?

I need a solution for complete worldwide charts, including terminal parking (an important feature for me).

So far I've either used or researched these various freeware/payware options, software, and web based solutions:

Freeware web based

• charts.aero - missing major countries (Canada, China), missing terminal parking
  • aircharts.org - same as above
  • skyvector - same as above
  • chartfinder.vatsim - many charts are outdated by as much as 7 years
  • airnav - us charts only
  • etc.

Aivlasoft EFB

- It's nice, but it draws it's data from navigraph AIRAC cycles, which sometimes don't include complete information on the charts (altitude crossing restrictions) which forces me to look at actual charts anyway

FSCommander

- same problem

Simplates IFR

- outdated charts after a while

So far the only option I've really found is the newly released Navigraph Charts Cloud that requires an annual fee, but has all charts updated every 3 months, plus it covers worldwide destinations including major airports in Canada, China, and even Iran.

Is there anything else out there that is a bit cheaper but still gives me what I'm looking for?

Any input appreciated!

I posted something wrong. Haven't done my research before posting.

Edited by Lundby

I think Navigraph is the way to go for you, I use it for flying more or less all over the globe. Very rarely stumbling over airports that are not covered.

And, they have navdata for PMDG + EFB + PFPX so it all matches nicely.

23.png

I use simplates Ultra on my tablet, most plates date from 2010 to late 2012 which is good enough for me as any updated airports i buy tend to have the plates as well so they will sit on me tablet as well. I spend less time finding plates and more time flying which is better imo :)

I will buy PFPX soon for all my flight planning needs for the NGX and A320 :)

-Paul-

Navigraph also has a chart subscription service. Which allows you to use all their charts or an annual fee. I believe it's around $ 60 per year.

I use it myself and think it's a great service.

Navigraph also has a chart subscription service. Which allows you to use all their charts or an annual fee. I believe it's around $ 60 per year.

I use it myself and think it's a great service.

Do you mean Charts Cloud?

I wrote that I already found that, but was looking for other options.

Or did you mean their Charts Desktop?

If you get either Aivlasoft EFB or FS Command and then purchase NavData from Aerosoft to update your cycles either quarterly or every cycle.  It also updates Wilco, PMDG, Aerosoft Airbus X, FSBuild, Captain Sim, and more....its worth the money.

Also for the freeware, there is Flightaware.com which is great for USA. There is ww4.fltplan.com which is good as well.....just get registered and then go to the left tabs under "Navigation" and then "digital charts",  this is for North America.

I was just looking at the electronic flight bag from Aivlasoft again.  Seems to not only have all the charts, but shows one's aircraft position on them.  Sort of two birds for one stone.  Hopefully not two stones for one bird!

Warning however, I installed their software for a 30 day free trial, and when I went to uninstall it did something to my system that was pretty unpleasant.  I wish I could remember what it was, but I don't.

Anyway, I'm giving it another look.

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

If you get either Aivlasoft EFB or FS Command and then purchase NavData from Aerosoft to update your cycles either quarterly or every cycle.  It also updates Wilco, PMDG, Aerosoft Airbus X, FSBuild, Captain Sim, and more....its worth the money.

Also for the freeware, there is Flightaware.com which is great for USA. There is ww4.fltplan.com which is good as well.....just get registered and then go to the left tabs under "Navigation" and then "digital charts",  this is for North America.

Did you even read my first post?

Did you even read my first post?

I have to apologize too, I was in a little bit of a hurry (I'm over 50, with an overfull family life so I'm often doing double duty when I'm reading posts).

Your statements appear to all be correct - how I wish that Navigraph would get a new data provider to correct all their issues. I want to support the guy because I know his long history of providing information to the flightsim community, but I'm finding more and more missing information - including approaches (I don't recall that happening until a year or so ago). I've written to him, and he replies that he'll look into it and I never hear back.  I hope he hasn't lost his enthusiasm for what he does and/or just no longer cares. Changing data providers would seem logical given the rather staggering number of errors I've been seeing lately. Like i said, a lot more than just missing crossing restrictions.

Thanks for letting me sound off.  Guess it will remain freeware charts for me. I have all of Europe (EADs is GREAT) and the US covered, so that's 90% or better of what I fly.

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I have to apologize too, I was in a little bit of a hurry (I'm over 50, with an overfull family life so I'm often doing double duty when I'm reading posts).

Your statements appear to all be correct - how I wish that Navigraph would get a new data provider to correct all their issues. I want to support the guy because I know his long history of providing information to the flightsim community, but I'm finding more and more missing information - including approaches (I don't recall that happening until a year or so ago). I've written to him, and he replies that he'll look into it and I never hear back.  I hope he hasn't lost his enthusiasm for what he does and/or just no longer cares. Changing data providers would seem logical given the rather staggering number of errors I've been seeing lately. Like i said, a lot more than just missing crossing restrictions.

Thanks for letting me sound off.  Guess it will remain freeware charts for me. I have all of Europe (EADs is GREAT) and the US covered, so that's 90% or better of what I fly.

Dave

Yeah I know that Europe has lots of options right now if you go freeware, but if you want to do long haul routes internationally you're going to need places like Singapore, Shanghai, Beijing, Vancouver, and various other places that have no free charts available for them.

I reaaaaally don't want to shell out another $70 but since it's annual it might be the best option and a little less painful if I slap it on a CC and tell myself I'm really paying around $6 per month for it. :P

I reaaaaally don't want to shell out another $70 but since it's annual it might be the best option and a little less painful if I slap it on a CC and tell myself I'm really paying around $6 per month for it.

Man, do I hear you there!  That price is what prevented me from buying it - especially since what I was really looking for was something that showed these tired old eyes where the aircraft was for taxi.  I really loved that feature.

Though I am blessed that I'm able to afford the product, I simply can't justify the price - especially in light of the persistent if not increasing errors from Navigraph.  In fairness, I don't know if the developer has to pay a royalty to another company for the charts and what not, but if that's true then the price he's charging is probably justified. Otherwise i'd recommend he reduce the price to increase sales - a win/win!

Very nice talking with you, and thanks for starting this topic, I found it really helpful and excellent timing (for me anyway). Would you stay in touch with me via PM and let me know what you find and settle on? I'd really appreciate that.

Dave

Dave Hodges

Man, do I hear you there!  That price is what prevented me from buying it - especially since what I was really looking for was something that showed these tired old eyes where the aircraft was for taxi.  I really loved that feature.

Though I am blessed that I'm able to afford the product, I simply can't justify the price - especially in light of the persistent if not increasing errors from Navigraph.  In fairness, I don't know if the developer has to pay a royalty to another company for the charts and what not, but if that's true then the price he's charging is probably justified. Otherwise i'd recommend he reduce the price to increase sales - a win/win!

Very nice talking with you, and thanks for starting this topic, I found it really helpful and excellent timing (for me anyway). Would you stay in touch with me via PM and let me know what you find and settle on? I'd really appreciate that.

Dave

- especially since what I was really looking for was something that showed these tired old eyes where the aircraft was for taxi.  I really loved that feature.

If you fly vatsim, that amazing EFB feature is worth 70 bucks alone  :lol: 

ZORAN

f you fly vatsim, that amazing EFB feature is worth 70 bucks alone

Another VATSIM Pilot, excellent!  100% of my flights are on VATSIM (see signature line below) and all of the flights are all streamed in HD along with VATSIM ATC. In fact, we dual streams which can be viewed at the same time on our website. We hope to have four streams running in the near future.It's really neat when we are flying the MD-82/88 in shared cockpit, and most especially during a VATSIM event! Stop by and check it out sometime!  We'd enjoy having you visit! Here's the link to the Stream Page.

Certainly an excellent product, bur Worth, like price, really is relative. But a great product to be sure!

Take care.

Dave

Dave Hodges

I think the Navigraph option would be best to suit your needs. I only use their charts for countries that don't have theirs published publicly, but I've thought about eventually throwing in the cash just for the convenience of having everything in one place and in one format.