Sign in to follow this  
Kuragiman

FIX -D3D11.DLL and STACKHASH CTDs

A little tip I picked up from my VA Chief that worked like a charm for me.   I suddenly started getting CTD and FATAL ERRORS after 2 weeks of flying fine all over the US but suddenly I was FATAL ERRORING while trying to depart Tampa to head back home to Texas.   I could not get off the ground.   Going through start up checks.. CRASH... Taxing CRASH.   Thinking about a steak dinner, CRASH.

This is something you should do frequently, say after every 3 or so long flights.   This is considered Basic FSX Maintenance to keep your sim happy and relatively crash free on this type of crash problem.

1.  Navigate to your %appdata% folder and go into LOCAL (Not ROAMING).  Find your Microsoft folder and your shader folder.   Go into the shader folder.   Delete the Shader10 and Shader folder if you have them.   Be sure you don't PERMANENTLY delete them.  Just delete them to your recycle bin.   If something screws up you want to be able to restore the files.

2.  Navigate to your C: drive to the ProgramData folder.   Navigate to your Microsoft and then FSX folder inside the ProgramData folder.    Delete the Facilities and SceneIndexes folders.   Do not touch any files outside these folders or the SceneryCache folder.   Once again, do not permanently delete these files.   Leave them in your recycle bin encase you need to restore them.    

3.  Start FSX and let it rebuild your Facilities, Scene Indexes and Shader folders.    Fly!  PROFIT.

This little maintenance tip got rid of my CTDs and I was able to come home to Dallas Love in Texas.   Hope it helps anyone out that is experiences this type of sudden crashing after your FSX was working fine for days.   This type of CTD commonly shows up as D3D11.DLL or StackHash type crashes in Event Viewer/AppCrashViewer.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Could you be more explicit for the step 2

On your C: drive, FSX will make a folder in the root of the drive called ProgramData.   This should not be confused with Programs(x86) and Programs (for 64 bit systems).   Inside this folder you will have a Microsoft directory.  Go into it.  Inside this folder you will have an FSX folder.  Go into it.    Inside this folder you will see numberous files and 3 folders; Facilities, ScenryCache and SceneIndexes.

Delete the Facilities and SceneIndexes folders to your Recycle Bin.  DO NOT permanently delete them until you confirm your CTD has gone away.    Once you have cleaned out your shaders and these two folders start up FSX and let it rebuild all the files and folders you just deleted.   Take a flight.  See if you are crash free.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

THANK YOU,

Now I cannot get PMDG 777-200 LR to load, FSX crashes, before anything else is loaded

THANK YOU,

Now I cannot get PMDG 777-200 LR to load, FSX crashes, before anything else is loaded

Is that a Thank You, your maintenance suggestion screwed up my FSX or Thank you, PMDG 777 wouldn't load until you did this procedure?

100454.png

Brian Navy

Thank you for the tip

Next I have a CTD when changing airplaine to PMDG 777-200 LR, is crashes when I get to load that airplane, any advice

Thank you for the tip

Next I have a CTD when changing airplaine to PMDG 777-200 LR, is crashes when I get to load that airplane, any advice

Only crashing with the new T7 and no other aircraft?

100454.png

Brian Navy

Nothing?   Impossible.    It has to mention something.    Is it going directly to Desktop with no error message or giving you the usual STOP RESPONDING AND WILL NOW CLOSE spiel or is it FATAL ERROR?

100454.png

Brian Navy

I tried 2 times and APPCRASHVIEW didn't say nothing, only a (sppuinotify.dll) failed in EVEN VIEWER

I tried 2 times and APPCRASHVIEW didn't say nothing, only a (sppuinotify.dll) failed in EVEN VIEWER

You got me there.    That DLL is associated with the Windows Activation system.   I have no idea why that is in your Event Log as a failure.    Try uninstalling PMDG T7.    Do the above procedure.   Run FSX to re-index.   Close out of FSX.   Reinstall T7.   Floss and Fly that Mofo all up in that %&*@&!  So deep it be cry'n!  You thought it was Rain!   At least here's hoping!  *fingers crossed*

100454.png

Brian Navy

You got me there. That DLL is associated with the Windows Activation system. I have no idea why that is in your Event Log as a failure. Try uninstalling PMDG T7. Do the above procedure. Run FSX to re-index. Close out of FSX. Reinstall T7. Floss and Fly that Mofo all up in that %&*@&! So deep it be cry'n! You thought it was Rain! At least here's hoping! *fingers crossed*

Made some research myself too, and read the same thing

Will try to uninstall and let you know

I was always under the impression that only the contents of the Shader Cache folders should be deleted to rebuild but not to delete the actual folder themselves as a new folder might not be regenerated. When you deleted the whole Shader Cache folder did it regenerate a whole folder?

However I know its safe to delete the Sceneries and Indexes folders as those whole folders will be regenerated.

I always rebuild my shaders after installing new drivers and run the sim once and make sure to fly over water.

It's also not a bad idea to rebuild the scenery and indexes folder if you ever notice that your a/c is not tracking an ILS localizer correctly when you know the localizer is in the correct position. I found that out once when flying the LDS 767 years ago into O'Hare and the localizer was bringing me down about 20 feet left of the runway where a few flights before that on the same runway it was bringing me down on the center.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator