Sign in to follow this  
Brenchen

FSX Crash on Reverse Thurst

Hi all,

I've only recently noticed a CTD on the 777 touching down and the reverse thrust is applied.  Although this seemed like an FSX related thread, but I noticed this on the PMDG 777; though not try to particularly imply anything, but thought this might be better suited.  If indeed this does not belong here, mods, please move it.

Symptoms

When it crashes the screen freezes temporarily (in the range of seconds) and simply goes into reload mode where the sim is refired up after some dialog boxes telling you that was what will happen.  When it reloaded and I checked the event viewer, module failing was unknown.  Before this took place, there was a failure on the g2d.dll file.  But after playing around with the scenery (A_A VTBS 2013), that g2d error seems to not appear now.

After the reload, I try to exit the sim, again another crash taking me to a "debug" screen where I can choose "Debug" or "Close".  Again in the event viewer there was no indication on which module was failing.

Changes

Basically the two major changes made to the sim before noticing this behaviour was the addition of the new scenery (VTBS) and installing Squawkbox and FSInn (for VATSIM use).  But since I've only gotten the VTBS scenery, I am not sure whether it was scenery based and given the search returns I got, it indicates it might be something else as there wasn't many reports of this.

Actions Taken

After researching into what could have caused this and how to fix it, I tried arranging the scenery priorities, uninstalling/reinstalling, delete the fsx.cfg and let FSX regenerate one, checked the dll.xml file according to PMDG's suggestions on the support website, reapplying FSGlobal's texture settings under administrator mode, and even updated my graphics driver.  None of these helped directly.

Current Dilema

After trying everything named above, it MAY have solved the g2d.dll crash, but now I have no idea which module is failing due to the unknown status.  So I would hope to get some ideas or suggestions here as to what can I do to first identify the problem, and second rectify it?

If anyone else also experienced something similar, I'd also like to hear about it very much, and what did you do to rectify the problem.

Thanks you in advance,

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

you must come out one day and checkout my FSX setup on a projector since you too are also in brisbane

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

you must come out one day and checkout my FSX setup on a projector since you too are also in brisbane

You'll just make me jealous :P  Where in Brissie are you?  Do you have a resolution or some light to my problem?

Brendan Chen

Are you using FSUIPC calibrated throttles. If so try disabling that and see if it goes away.

I am, I'll try that when I get home tonight.  But with all previous usage, I had no problems... Landed (and used reverse thrust) at EHAM, YBBN, ZGGG, WSSS (from memory) so far, only VTBS had the issue?

Brendan Chen

sorry do not have a solution to your problem as i do not own or fly the PMDG 777

I am on the southside of brissy near the sunnybank area :P

or put it this way under the glidepath of the ILS 01 approach for jets coming from syd/melb/NZ

I'm well aware of Sunnybank, being Asian, it's pretty much my 2nd home ;)

Brendan Chen

LOL yes good multicultural melting pot there, loved the food at Little Singapore there at Sunnybank.

Are you using FSUIPC calibrated throttles. If so try disabling that and see if it goes away.

Tested.  Same problem occurs when I use the keyboard.  If no reverse thrust applied, no crash...

However (it could be a scenery problem), I tried reverse thrust on taxiway.  No error.

Reverse thrust after re-entering runway after turnoff.  No error.

Rolled back to the beginning of the runway and applied reverse thrust... Bingo! Crash!

So if Ryan or any of the tech team can confirm that this means it's got nothing to do with the T7, I'll start to look elsewhere (and possibly move this thread to general FSX CTD area).

Brendan Chen

Solved my own problem (I hope, partially).

Basically I redownloaded everything, used an activation credit which I hoped to avoid by keeping a copy of the installed product elsewhere, so I can reuse it rather than using my activation credit.

So reinstalled a few times without doing it (ie using the extracted copy which I kept as a backup before windows reinstall).  But now I tried again installing it from the original package (ie. used a credit) and it all seemed fine!

Did some testing around it, saved the prelanding state so tests can be repeated.  So 3 times I tested and it seemed all to work!  Now I can finally finish off my 11 hour flight "properly"!

HOWEVER:  FSX still decides to crash on exit, again with unknown failure module detected in event viewer.  This is for future perusal and investigation.

Thanks everyone for reading and moral of the story, don't be slack :P

Brendan Chen

Solved my own problem (I hope, partially).

Basically I redownloaded everything, used an activation credit which I hoped to avoid by keeping a copy of the installed product elsewhere, so I can reuse it rather than using my activation credit.

So reinstalled a few times without doing it (ie using the extracted copy which I kept as a backup before windows reinstall).  But now I tried again installing it from the original package (ie. used a credit) and it all seemed fine!

Did some testing around it, saved the prelanding state so tests can be repeated.  So 3 times I tested and it seemed all to work!  Now I can finally finish off my 11 hour flight "properly"!

HOWEVER:  FSX still decides to crash on exit, again with unknown failure module detected in event viewer.  This is for future perusal and investigation.

Thanks everyone for reading and moral of the story, don't be slack :P

If you by any chance use FSINN try disabling the Tuner in Addons -> FSCopilot -> Settings.

The tuner causes FSX to crash on exit regardless of whether its running or not. Remember this only applies to you if you use FSINN for vatsim.

If you by any chance use FSINN try disabling the Tuner in Addons -> FSCopilot -> Settings.

The tuner causes FSX to crash on exit regardless of whether its running or not. Remember this only applies to you if you use FSINN for vatsim.

I do by very good chance use FSInn.  A new user of FSInn as well hoping that the aircraft's transponder will control FSInn's (well hoped that would work for squawkbox too), but still have to activate sqk C manually :(

I'll try that and report back a few attempts later...  Thanks for the advice though!

Brendan Chen

I've got ecaxtly the same issue when I applied full reverse on A_A VTBS 2013 Fsx is crashing (g2d.dll is the fault file)

I can reproduce the issue.

Yep, so did you see the moral of my story?  How did you install VTBS?

Brendan Chen

Hi, 

I'm the maker of Suvarnabhumi Airport_2013.

I don't know either what cause that.  I don't have PMDG 777 to test that.

Would you mind taking some suspicious files out and see if it help?

The files are: VTBS_ADEX_TIC_OBJ.BGL  and Entrance.BGL.

Move one file out at a time and see if crash still be the problem.

Or you can use "divide and conquer" technique.  Make new folder in Scenery and move half of the files there.

If the CTD went away, that's mean the problem is in that group of files.  Then move half of them out of these files and do the same thing.  Finally you will find what cause that.

Please let me know if you found what cause CTD.  I can make a fix if I know which file cause that.

Regards,

Tic