Sign in to follow this  
rvk52

Black screen on selecting Opus.

Hi,

I'm starting up FSX then linda kicks in. Once I've got my aircraft on screen and ready I'm alt tab to OPUS and running the FSserver.

When I go back to FSX all I have is a black screen. Every thing seems to be OK, If I run the throttles I can hear them rev up, select a radio, again hear the voices.

If I escape out and get the free flight menu I can then see that but hitting enter gives me the black screen again. 

Sometimes its kicked and all works OK but I've not figured out what does it, so can anyone tell me whats happening or where I'm going wrong.

Thanks Ron

ps If I start Opus first and then run FSX I get the same thing. Also happens on a manual start on a start of Opus or via FSUIPC.

Don't know anything about Linda but sounds like you have an FSX problem with the Alt-Tab function. You could run FSX in windowed mode and just maximise the display when ready, that is after preparing your weather. I would advise windowed mode in non-maximised state, access the FSXSERVER program to specify your flight plan, destination, cruise altitude etc., generate the weather and see it loaded, check the various weather reports etc.. Then when ready minimise FSXSERVER to the taskbar and select Full Screen mode for FSX.

If you have a laptop or second computer you might want to consider creating a 'No Connection TO The Similator' type of client. You can control your weather and do most things from the client then. I would still advise starting FSX in windowed mode and switching to Full Screen when ready to fly, but at least the client will allow you to access the LW Assistant, weather maps, weather related reports etc.. Please read the Getting Started Guide for Networked PCs if you plan to do this.

I can't recall what the cure is for FSX systems black screening when alt-tab switching or whether there was a general fix for this. Nothing really to do with OpusFSX though, the program has no control over that sort of thing and it is a common FSX problem that I believe has been around since its launch.

Stephen

I seem to recall having this problem myself even before developing OpusFSX. I always flew full screen, but ended up saving my flights with FSX in windowed mode and switching to full screen when about to fly. Nowadays I just use windowed mode and maximise FSX because I am usually checking all sorts of things during the flight.

I don't recall seeing any fix for this problem. I know there is a fault in FSX which stops software commanding FSX to do the same in order to display a dialog. The fault produces the same effect as you see, a black screen. This is a known fault in FSX which stops Addons from using that facility in SimConnect and forcing people to resort to windowed mode in order to see and use other program's dialogs. This Is most likely the same as the Alt+Tab fault in FSX, in which case I wouldn't waiste too much time looking for a cure.

Stephen

The windowed mode cures the problem and its no hassle putting it back to full screen as and when needed.

Thanks for the tip, that saved me pulling my hair out.

Alt Tab is buggy in fsx. Try and avoid using it

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Yes, it seems its the same bug that stops developers using the SimConnect Dialog Mode option, you just end up with a black screen. Best stick with windowed mode and switch from there.

Stephen :-)