Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

fsx.exe won´t shutdown when I close FSX

Guest Mik75

One thing I haven´t mentioned yet: When looking at the Task Manager after closing FSX, fsx.exe first has a memory usage of around 250.000K. It stays there for a few seconds and then drops down to around 35.000K. There it stays for 5-7 minutes until ist finally gone and FSX can be started again...

Download and run Process Explorer from Microsoft. See what's running. While you're at it - download the rest of the Sysinternals utilities - they're a great set of tools to have when troubleshooting issues like this. Also don't discount malware or a/v.

But I think here is your likely culprit:-

the new network I had to set up when I got a different router/modem from the new provider.

From that moment on, it takes that long to end FSX. And, when I want to print something on the networked printer, it takes 7-9 minutes until the printer finally starts printing. 

Something seems to be messed up with the network settings. Could that be? 

:lol:   um - yes. If you have the wrong gateway, duplex setting, or your nic didn't take the perhaps (almost certainly!!!) different dhcp settings from the new router - darned right! That's a new network - and if there's issues with settings, she can sit there for an hour wondering "Hello world - anyone??" ... and don't forget the printer and any other network device that's now sharing that new router....

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

One of your addon's is not shutting down properly.  Disable all addon scenery.  Run FSX and see if the problem continues.  If not, it's one of those sceneries that is hanging.  Enable 2-3 at a time until the problem reappears.  If that doesn't fix the problem, then it is one of your utilities in the dll.xml that is not shutting down.  First thing to check is for corruption (you can see it if there is any).  I would then change the second line of each entry from disabled FALSE disabled to disabled TRUE disabled.  Do that to all of them except the top two entries.  See if that fixes the problem.  If so, it is one of those utilities.  Enable them one by one until you find the culprit.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Guest Mik75

One of your addon's is not shutting down properly. Disable all addon scenery. Run FSX and see if the problem continues. If not, it's one of those sceneries that is hanging. Enable 2-3 at a time until the problem reappears. If that doesn't fix the problem, then it is one of your utilities in the dll.xml that is not shutting down. First thing to check is for corruption (you can see it if there is any). I would then change the second line of each entry from disabled FALSE disabled to disabled TRUE disabled. Do that to all of them except the top two entries. See if that fixes the problem. If so, it is one of those utilities. Enable them one by one until you find the culprit.

Best regards,

Hi Jim!

Even with everything "turned off" in the dll.xml and exe.xml, the phenomenon still persists.

I'll try do disable all addon scenery later today and see if that brings the solution, but I haven't installed any addon scenery for a longer time.

I'll report back here...

Do you have FSX .exe running as administrator.?......it needs to be........if that does not fix it ..It is deffinately one of your addons causing your problems........ 

Guest Mik75

I always run FSX as administrator. And even with every single addon scenery deactivated, the FSX.exe stays in the task manager after I close FSX for several minutes. Oh my...

And today after the tests and reactivating all my scenery, I had a FSX app crash, due to the MSVCR80.dll, never had that before.

And today after the tests and reactivating all my scenery, I had a FSX app crash, due to the MSVCR80.dll, never had that before.

This dll is association with Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 which was used by FSX developers to make sure FSX was installed properly and in the way intended. You need to make sure this Microsoft Visual is kept up-to-date. Up in the CTD Forum, there's a pinned topic for the AVSIM CTD Guide. It provides links to the latest versions of 2005, 2008, and 2010 (all of which must be installed). Microsoft.net packages are also needed and installed by developers if the version is not found on your system. Dotnet packages are used by developers to make sure their products run properly in the way they intended. In the CTD Guide you can find information to make sure you have the latest versions and they are up-to-date. A lot of people will screw up by moving an FSX installation from an old computer to a new one and that means that Microsoft Visuals or Dotnet packages required to properly run FSX are not installed. So, if you move stuff from an old installation to a new installation, make sure you install this software. A registry repair of fsx will not be sufficient.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I recommend closing down all applications that interface with FSX before you shut down the sim itself. That means close your weather application, EZDok windows etc, then close the sim. It usually works for me

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Guest Mik75

Unfortunately, that doesn't make any difference for me. No matter which addons are running in and with FSX, when I close the sim, the FSX.exe stays active in the task manager for several minutes.

For what it's worth, I'm now having the same problem with FSX:SE after upgrading to Windows 10 this weekend.  No problems at all before the upgrade, and no changes to add-ons, but will still have a thread or process running it seems, even after the main FSX window closes.  Can't seem to pinpoint which addon or activity may be causing this.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Most likely you are getting the ai_player.dll or ntdll.dll like I get when I try to shutdown P3D sometimes.  Just think something did not shutdown properly when I quit.  For me, it is mostly gone and seems to have fixed itself.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM