o you think I should go with G.Skill TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX or G.Skill TridentX F3-2400C10D-8GTX? The first one is 2x8GB CL9 and the second one is 2x4GB CL10...

Both these modules are CL10.

G.Skill TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX  is 2x8GB modules and is the RAM I'm using. I've had no trouble overclocking to 4.5Ghz.

The recomendation is to go with 2 modules as opposed to filling up all 4 slots when overclocking.

If you can pick up the F3-2400C9D-8GTXD you originally mentions I would grab these as they are CL9 and should yield slightly better performance in FSX. The CL10's would do just fine though.

Both these modules are CL10.

G.Skill TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX  is 2x8GB modules and is the RAM I'm using. I've had no trouble overclocking to 4.5Ghz.

The recomendation is to go with 2 modules as opposed to filling up all 4 slots when overclocking.

If you can pick up the F3-2400C9D-8GTXD you originally mentions I would grab these as they are CL9 and should yield slightly better performance in FSX. The CL10's would do just fine though.

Well, I managed to "swallow" the D. It was the F3-2400C9D-8GTXD I meant in my previous post. So it is better to go with F3-2400C9D-8GTXD than with F3-2400C10D-16GTX? Should i go with 2x F3-2400C9D-8GTXD (16 GB with four sticks) or just two?

Going with F3-2400C9D-8GTXD will give you slightly better performance in FSX compared to F3-2400C10D-16GTX.

If you go with 2 x F3-2400C9D-8GTXD, the only issue there is they won't be a matched kit so there is potential you could run into problems but it should be fine.

Also, it's usually recommended to just use 2 RAM modules when overclocking as opposed to filling up all the dimms. This is because it can place more stress on the IMC potentially limiting your overclock.

For FSX you don't really need any more than 8GB. Is there anything else you would need 16GB for?

Both the F3-2400C9D-8GTXD and F3-2400C10D-16GTX will give you great performance in FSX, but the CL9 kit will be slightly better. In my situation F3-2400C9D-8GTXD wasn't available so that's why I went F3-2400C10D-16GTX.

I guess you nust need to decide what you want more, slightly better FSX performance with 8GB CL9 (talking average FPS maybe 2-3FPS), or do you want 16GB of RAM for other things/future proofing like you mentioned.

Otherwise you could also try overclocking the RAM also.

Going with F3-2400C9D-8GTXD will give you slightly better performance in FSX compared to F3-2400C10D-16GTX.

If you go with 2 x F3-2400C9D-8GTXD, the only issue there is they won't be a matched kit so there is potential you could run into problems but it should be fine.

Also, it's usually recommended to just use 2 RAM modules when overclocking as opposed to filling up all the dimms. This is because it can place more stress on the IMC potentially limiting your overclock.

For FSX you don't really need any more than 8GB. Is there anything else you would need 16GB for?

Both the F3-2400C9D-8GTXD and F3-2400C10D-16GTX will give you great performance in FSX, but the CL9 kit will be slightly better. In my situation F3-2400C9D-8GTXD wasn't available so that's why I went F3-2400C10D-16GTX.

I guess you nust need to decide what you want more, slightly better FSX performance with 8GB CL9 (talking average FPS maybe 2-3FPS), or do you want 16GB of RAM for other things/future proofing like you mentioned.

Otherwise you could also try overclocking the RAM also.

Ok, waiting for all the parts now :)

Let us know how it all goes!  :biggrin:

I will. Should get all the parts tomorrow :)

I have one question, I see that you are running 2xGTX780 card. Do you run FSX in SLI or do you disable it? I've heard that SLI is not good for FSX so I'm wondering.

I disable SLI. I actually get worse performance when running SLI in FSX.

Other games ofcourse are a different story.

Have fun building!

I disable SLI. I actually get worse performance when running SLI in FSX.

Other games ofcourse are a different story.

Have fun building!

I've recieved all the stuff now but sadly I think I've got a bad CPU example for overclocking. :( Tried to OC it to 4.4 but it needed too much voltage and the temps in OCCT Linpack test was to high (90 C) and it wasn't even stable then so I quit. Now I'm trying to OC it to 4.2... we will see how it goes. .. :wacko:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Make sure you're overclocking manually and not on auto. Auto will over compensate on the voltage.

Also, make sure you first only overclock Core speed, get that stable, then move on to cache/uncore and then memory.

As a start try setting vcore manually to 1.2v, Core to 46x and just see if you can boot into windows. This will give you an indication of your chips potential. They talk about this in the first link I posted below.

Read these:

http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell

http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

There are lots of guides on the web but I found the gigabyte one the best.

Also 90C will be fine for a stress test, you just don't want to have it there for lengthy periods, but you're never going to see that sort of temp in real world use.

When I was stressing I think max temp I had was about 88C @ 4.5Ghz HT on, so not far from where you are, but max temp I see in FSX is 60C. Other games I've played are lower than that by atleast a couple degrees.

Make sure you're overclocking manually and not on auto. Auto will over compensate on the voltage.

Also, make sure you first only overclock Core speed, get that stable, then move on to cache/uncore and then memory.

As a start try setting vcore manually to 1.2v, Core to 46x and just see if you can boot into windows. This will give you an indication of your chips potential. They talk about this in the first link I posted below.

Read these:

http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell

http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

There are lots of guides on the web but I found the gigabyte one the best.

Also 90C will be fine for a stress test, you just don't want to have it there for lengthy periods, but you're never going to see that sort of temp in real world use.

When I was stressing I think max temp I had was about 88C @ 4.5Ghz HT on, so not far from where you are, but max temp I see in FSX is 60C. Other games I've played are lower than that by atleast a couple degrees.

Well,

I'm done with the final stability/load tests and everything seems to run very well. I followed this guide:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/haswell-48ghz-on-air-building-a-haswell-system_topic46180.html

I managed to OC my CPU to 4.2 with Vcore at 1.19, idle temps at 32C and load temps (CCCT AVX Linpack) at 79C.

To be honest I'm tired of overclocking now so I will keep those settings and maybe try to OC in the future. FSX should run ok I think (?)

Fair enough. I was a bit like that too. Got 4.5Ghz stable tried pushing for 4.6Ghz for a little but then just decided to stick on 4.5 for a while.

4.2 will run well but 4.5Ghz is the sweet spot if you ask me. You seem to have reached stability pretty quick (which I wouldn't think is hard for 4.2Ghz), but what stability tests have you run and for how long?

Just checking because I found I was able to pass certain stability tests with ease but then others would crash fairly quickly. I'm probably more pedantic than a lot of others with how long I run stress tests before I declare it stable though (i.e. running Prime95 for 24 hrs with no crashes). lol

4.2 will run well but 4.5Ghz is the sweet spot if you ask me.

The 'sweet spot' is just that--what it is for you. I say this because currently everyone has to compromise something.  4.5 is 7% more horsepower than 4.2.   The other stark reality is that to get that last few % improvement you're ramping up watts and temps quite dramatically.  Moral to the story:  make peace w/ the compromises you will be making--it's unavoidable, and often a minor change in how you have your simulator setup, that would in a double-blinded experiment would likely evade the even the most discriminating of users, is likely to get you the same 7% without the undo system stress.   

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Fair enough. I was a bit like that too. Got 4.5Ghz stable tried pushing for 4.6Ghz for a little but then just decided to stick on 4.5 for a while.

4.2 will run well but 4.5Ghz is the sweet spot if you ask me. You seem to have reached stability pretty quick (which I wouldn't think is hard for 4.2Ghz), but what stability tests have you run and for how long?

Just checking because I found I was able to pass certain stability tests with ease but then others would crash fairly quickly. I'm probably more pedantic than a lot of others with how long I run stress tests before I declare it stable though (i.e. running Prime95 for 24 hrs with no crashes). lol

Yeah, I know that faster is better but I was a little bit afraid of the high temperature I've got when pushing my cpu to 4.4...

When I overclocked I run the OCCT Linpack (with AVX checked) and OCCT CPU test for an hour each untill averything got stable. Then I tweaked the memory and run OCCT CPU test again for one hour and I run memtest. I ended everything running OCCT linpack test for six hours and then aida64 complete test for six hours. I think that should do it. :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

often a minor change in how you have your simulator setup, that would in a double-blinded experiment would likely evade the even the most discriminating of users, is likely to get you the same 7% without the undo system stress.

Sorry Noel but I'll have to disagree with you on that one. I don't think a tweak to the sim is going to net the same results as a 300Mhz increase in clock speed.

We all obviously have to compromise on something, but what I'm trying to say is that if he is willing to put the time in tweaking his overclock/fan configurations etc he may well be able to reach 4.4-4.5Ghz with reasonable voltage/temps. Then again maybe his chip can't do it.

As for system stress, voltage wise he is well within safe limits, temperature wise, his 4770K at stock settings on the stock cooler will likely hit 90C+ running the same stress tests so the system isn't really under "high" stress.

I respect your opinon, but each to their own on what they are comfortable with. At the end of the day we all just want the best performance we can get.

Yeah, I know that faster is better but I was a little bit afraid of the high temperature I've got when pushing my cpu to 4.4...

When I overclocked I run the OCCT Linpack (with AVX checked) and OCCT CPU test for an hour each untill averything got stable. Then I tweaked the memory and run OCCT CPU test again for one hour and I run memtest. I ended everything running OCCT linpack test for six hours and then aida64 complete test for six hours. I think that should do it. :)

90C while stress testing is fine with Haswell and is pretty normal unless your delidded.

What is your uncore/cache multiplier at?

Is your RAM running at 2400Mhz?

Stability wise, I would put the system under pressure for longer than that myself, but so long as you're stable in all the programs/games you use day to day you should be fine.

Enjoy the new rig!

Sorry Noel but I'll have to disagree with you on that one. I don't think a tweak to the sim is going to net the same results as a 300Mhz increase in clock speed.

We all obviously have to compromise on something, but what I'm trying to say is that if he is willing to put the time in tweaking his overclock/fan configurations etc he may well be able to reach 4.4-4.5Ghz with reasonable voltage/temps. Then again maybe his chip can't do it.

As for system stress, voltage wise he is well within safe limits, temperature wise, his 4770K at stock settings on the stock cooler will likely hit 90C+ running the same stress tests so the system isn't really under "high" stress.

I respect your opinon, but each to their own on what they are comfortable with. At the end of the day we all just want the best performance we can get.

90C while stress testing is fine with Haswell and is pretty normal unless your delidded.

What is your uncore/cache multiplier at?

Is your RAM running at 2400Mhz?

Stability wise, I would put the system under pressure for longer than that myself, but so long as you're stable in all the programs/games you use day to day you should be fine.

Enjoy the new rig!

Maybe I will put my CPU under pressure for a longer time then... what stress test do you think I should use?

As of my multiplier it is set to 42 and I run the memory att its stock 24000MHz.