Sign in to follow this  
bill1970

Auto Anti-Ice

Anyway back on topic.......

So how about that Auto Anti-Ice system?!

Well apparently....

"Does ASN simulate icing?

Yes.  We actively depict appropriate icing conditions in cloud layers appropriately.  It is up to FSX/P3D and/or the aircraft being used to depict such icing effects.  In default FSX icing effects, the pitot tube is effected quickly (requiring use of pitot heat) and airframe/prop icing are also simulated at a slower effective rate, but they do reduce lift performance after some time in icing."

I haven't noticed it yet though. Might go and do some testing in antarctica!  B) brb

Well, I couldn't work it out. Antarctica was too cold and dry lol. I've got ASN set to historical and there was a storm at EGJJ so I went there and got some icing in the default Cessna, then swapped to the 77W (mid air at 70kias lol) and at first the speed gauge read zero but 2 secs later I was in a rapid descent with a climbing TAT and then below freezing level. I flew around for about 30 mins after that through the clouds using the just completely incredible weather radar (all planes need this!) with all the anti icing off, then with the bleeds off, and didn't notice anything major other than the turbulence, tried climbing and descending, flying slow (and with flaps) but yeah if its happening I didn't notice it.

Can any of the PMDG staff clarify whether the 777 will pick up on ActiveSky/FSX icing "zones"?