Sign in to follow this  
FishermanIvan

Kai Tak IGS 13 approach?

You can just use the new VHHH as default destination, insert the CH VOR after TH and fly the IGS approach using HDG SEL and manually tune the KL IGS on FMC as 111.9/089 the SL NDB is still in FSX so you can manually tune 268.

Francis

Wow! Old topic.  I dont have PFPX but are you sure?  I have EFB and ProATC-X and can modify the data for VHHX

Good idea Francis. I've also thought about loading VHHH and then near TOD, activate VHHX as an alternate and load the IGS13 approach. Which (shamefully) reminds me I need to bone up on the Alternate feature in the FCOM.  

And yeah Phil, no VHHX. However, I could be mistaken. Which would be a good thing, as I'd love PFPX to include VHHX. But, last time I checked that forum, I read that VHHX could not be used directly through PFPX.

And yeah Phil, no VHHX. However, I could be mistaken. Which would be a good thing, as I'd love PFPX to include VHHX. But, last time I checked that forum, I read that VHHX could not be used directly through PFPX.

I'm betting the nav data is just as easy to alter is it would be in the PMDG nav data.  The aircraft performance data is all clear text, stored in TXT files, and my guess is the nav data would be the same.  Creating the aircraft data was pretty simple (the hard part is getting the data to put in there), so altering the file to include the airport should be pretty simple.

Kyle Rodgers

"777simmer, on 19 Jan 2014 - 03:07 AM, said:

Just want to point out that performing an autoland on a Cat I or II approach in actual Cat III weather, is not allowed!

Just for clarity (for the others, mostly):

Yes and no.

[FAA-specific mumbojumbo]

If I was flying into IAD on a severe clear day, I could certainly request the approach from ATC for currency, and they'd likely accommodate it. We don't usually have enough CAT III days in the States in general to maintain crew/aircraft currency, so you have to do it on clear days sometimes.

You're definitely right that you shouldn't do it on an installation that doesn't have a CAT III approach certified at the location (lack of OFZ protection to a CAT III level, and so on), though. There is a certain amount of error allowed in CAT I certification that isn't allowed for CAT III for obvious reasons, which means you aren't guaranteed a reliable signal to the ground which is important for an autoland.

Additionally, it's important to let ATC know because, if you haven't noticed already, there are ILS HOLD SHORT and regular HOLD SHORT lines. ATC uses the regular lines at all times ILS approaches are not in use (less than 800' ceiling and 2SM vis), and will instruct pilots to "hold short of the [Runway Name] ILS Critical Area" at any time that area needs protection (at any time someone requires the protection of a CAT III approach). So, as long as ATC has been notified and you've been cleared on the approach, the weather isn't really what matters: it's the fact that the installation is capable of CAT III certification, and that the ILS critical area is being protected from incursions (by aircraft and ground vehicles).

[/FAA-specific mumbojumbo]

TL;DR:

The plane will follow the signal from a CAT I, II, or III ILS installation without knowing to what level it's certified. The issue is that the installation isn't being interfered with by terrain and ground objects."

Some really good info here! Just to point out it's only the Americans (non standard not following ICAO regulations) that follow the 800 & 2 mile vis rule in every other country around the globe ATC will inform you to hold at the CATII/III hold point or they will announce on the ATIS that LVP/LVO is in effect.

I have often done auto lands (for real) to airports that don't have CATII/III Sydney is the most prominent example I can think of at the moment! LVP is a very complicated and involved process it doesn't only involve Aircraft/Crew Certification but also airfield certification in regard to equipment (often people can't understand why an airport that has an ils can't always permit cat 3B operations, well it's because they don't have all the required extras! Such as ILS standby transmitter, outer and middle markers correct approach lighting system etc..

Hello everyone, trying to get the IGS 13 arrival/departure procedures in my PMDG 777, installed the pmdg VHHX 2.0 file mentioned earlier and now it registers on the FMC but doesn't show up in the dep/arr section, also getting the RWY 13 doesnt exist message. New to flight sim here so please be patient! :)

Hello everyone, trying to get the IGS 13 arrival/departure procedures in my PMDG 777, installed the pmdg VHHX 2.0 file mentioned earlier and now it registers on the FMC but doesn't show up in the dep/arr section, also getting the RWY 13 doesnt exist message. New to flight sim here so please be patient! :)

Hi, westoverfd55,

Most likely your AIRAC (file set of navigation data) is too new.  The auto installer doesn't work from AIRAC 1312 or newer.  The AIRAC number shows on the opening CDU (FMC  screen) page.  You need to go to

http://www.vapap.com/kai-tak-airport

and download the manual installation zip file.  Follow the instructions there.  Be especially careful to back up the files as the instructions explain. You also need to check in your PMDG SID/STAR folder and see if there is a file called VHHX.txt.  This file is necessary for Kai Tak arrivals and departures to be available.  Note that the navigation files are in a subfolder of ... Flight Simulator X/PMDG.  Not at my FS computer right now, so I can't give the exact folder names.

Also, the moderators of all PMDG forums require you to sign your full name when posting in them.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Some really good info here! Just to point out it's only the Americans (non standard not following ICAO regulations) that follow the 800 & 2 mile vis rule in every other country around the globe ATC will inform you to hold at the CATII/III hold point or they will announce on the ATIS that LVP/LVO is in effect.

Thanks.

I'm not sure where the difference is, though.  That post wasn't to say that ATC expects pilots to automatically pay attention to the 800/2 situations.  As I immediately followed that next point up: ATC will inform pilots to hold short at the relevant times (though I didn't refer to the ATIS, that would also contain the information when mentioning approaches in use).

Kyle Rodgers

You also need to check in your PMDG SID/STAR folder and see if there is a file called VHHX.txt. This file is necessary for Kai Tak arrivals and departures to be available.

Does anyone have a bead on where to grab this single file? The installer can't be used anymore due to changes in AIRAC formats after 1312. There is a Manual install file on vapap, but it doesn't contain the SID/STAR file. Looked all over the vapap.com and Navigraph sites and elsewhere without luck. Thanks.

Nevermind ... after some more searching I found the file here.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Does anyone have a bead on where to grab this single file? The installer can't be used anymore due to changes in AIRAC formats after 1312. There is a Manual install file on vapap, but it doesn't contain the SID/STAR file. Looked all over the vapap.com and Navigraph sites and elsewhere without luck. Thanks.

Hi, Jev,

If you run the auto installer it also creates the SID/STAR file in the sidstars folder of PMDG.  You would want to back up all the nav data files as running the auto installer may mess them up (due to its incompatibility w/ recent Airacs).    Once the SID/STAR file (vhhx.txt) is created I don't think it will be overwritten by a new Airac installation, but you might want to back it up too just to be on the safe side.    Of course you do need to manually reinstall the other nav data each time you install a new Airac.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

f you run the auto installer

I was reluctant to run the installer, and the manual insertions couldn't be simpler. So I really just needed the terminal procedures file and managed to find it.

Thanks, Mike.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

I was reluctant to run the installer, and the manual insertions couldn't be simpler. So I really just needed the terminal procedures file and managed to find it.

The file you found has more procedures in it.  Thanks for finding it!  I am anxious to compare it w/ the one generated by the auto installer and the VHHX charts, but won't be able to for a few days.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thanks for the info MIKE777, looked at the page you recommended. I am a little nervous about changing the text entries, I don't want to screw anything up. Have you done changes to yours, what should I be looking for, like I said I am very new to flight sim and not too hip on changing the text files. I Thank You for your patience and your help, I really look forward to getting this up and running so I can use Kai Tak with the upcoming 300ER!  Thanks Again, Ken.

Thanks for the info MIKE777, looked at the page you recommended. I am a little nervous about changing the text entries, I don't want to screw anything up. Have you done changes to yours, what should I be looking for, like I said I am very new to flight sim and not too hip on changing the text files. I Thank You for your patience and your help, I really look forward to getting this up and running so I can use Kai Tak with the upcoming 300ER!

Hi, Ken,

If you are reasonably careful you should not cause any damage that can't be fixed, and most likely everything will work just fine!  Two files need to be modified and one needs to be added.  Before anything else go to ... Flight Simulator X/PMDG/Navdata .  Find the following two files: airports.dat and wpNavAPT.txt.  Copy them both to a folder outside of the folder in which they are found.  Now they are safely backed up; if you mess up the original files just take the copies and put them back in the ... Navdata folder, overwriting the messed up versions.

I was going to give detailed installation instructions but I ran into a  problem with the SID/STAR file, located in Flight Simulator X/PMDG/SIDSTARS called "vhhx.txt".  So please tell me whether you have this file in that folder. If you do please open it and let me know who is the author and the date.  Also please tell me whether you have scenery for VHHX (Kai Tak) installed.

Nevermind ... after some more searching I found the file here.

Jev, is the vhhx.txt file you downloaded working OK for you?  I get an error message about Fix CC missing and I get no runways, SIDs or STARS.

Thanks,

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Folks

I am sensing some frustrations here that at least in part, is due to my incomplete manual instructions to install VHHX, as published at VAPAP.  Apologies.

I will amend the instructions by the end of the week.  In the meantime, if you need the VHHX.txt file (the one missing in my instructions) email me via VAPAP and I will send you the file.

Ken

In addtion to what Mike said re messing the two files to be amended for VHHX, the other back-up is to simply re-run your latest version of the Airac.  That also will restore the files.

Cheers

Jock McIntyre