Sign in to follow this  
FishermanIvan

Kai Tak IGS 13 approach?

I am sensing some frustrations here that at least in part, is due to my incomplete manual instructions to install VHHX, as published at VAPAP. Apologies.

I will amend the instructions by the end of the week. In the meantime, if you need the VHHX.txt file (the one missing in my instructions) email me via VAPAP and I will send you the file.

Jock,

Thanks very much for being on top of this!  Making your version of vhhx.txt available w/out running the installer will help out many Kai Tak admirers.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thanks Jock, I am just installing my Kai Tak right now. Should I wait to install the change until the end of the week? 

Ken 

Thanks Jock, I am just installing my Kai Tak right now. Should I wait to install the change until the end of the week?

Hi, Ken,

If you run Jock's autoi installer it will install the vhhx.txt you need in the SIDSTARS directory.  Then reinstall the current airac (this is because Jock's installer program might mess up the airac files).  Then modify the two files airports.dat and wpNavAPT.txt with the vhhx airport and runway data and you should be good to go!  Or else just e-mail him for the vhhx.txt file, then add the airport and runway data.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Sorry to sound clueless but like I said very new here, is that the 2.0 File?

That should do it.  BEFORE you run that program make a complete copy of FSX/PMDG/Navdata.  AFTER you run Jock's program just paste everything in the copied folder back into the ... /Navdata file.  Then add the needed info into airports.dat and wpNavAPT.txt.  Load up the PMDG 777 as usual, select VHHX as departure airport under Route, see if that works, then look in the ARR/DEP window of the FMC and see if you have runways 13 and 31 and a bunch of departures.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

What program do I use to open the airport.dat file, I have nothing that will open it?  Is there a way you can copy your changes an email them to me?

Ken

What program do I use to open the airport.dat file, I have nothing that will open it? Is there a way you can copy your changes an email them to me?
J

Just use notepad - right click on the file and choose "Open with", then notepad.  It's just a text file.  Same for WpNavApt (which will open automatically as it ends in .txt). 

Here is the entry for airport.dat:

VHHX 22.316959 114.202621

Search VHHH and put it right below the VHHH (new Hong Kong) entry.

Should look like this:

VHHH 22.308889 113.914722
VHHX 22.316959 114.202621

Here are the entries for WpNavApt.txt:

HONG KONG-OLD           VHHX13 10930136 22.324850 114.193176111.9008800015
HONG KONG-OLD           VHHX31 10930316 22.304401 114.216064109.9031600015

Again, search VHHH and put these two lines immediately below them, no blank spaces.  Note there is one line for each runway.  Should look like this:

HONG KONG INTL          VHHH07L12467073 22.310917 113.897964111.1007300022
HONG KONG INTL          VHHH07R12467073 22.296675 113.899442109.3007300027
HONG KONG INTL          VHHH25L12467253 22.307431 113.932820108.9025300027
HONG KONG INTL          VHHH25R12467253 22.321122 113.929636110.9025300022
HONG KONG-OLD           VHHX13 10930136 22.324850 114.193176111.9008800015
HONG KONG-OLD           VHHX31 10930316 22.304401 114.216064109.9031600015

Check that vhhx.txt is in FSXPMDG/SIDSTARS.  Be sure to run Jock's auto installer (to get vhhx.txt) before you modify airports.dat and WpNavApts.txt, and add the VHHX stuff to these two files after you have run Jock's program and replaced the Navdata folder with the version you backed up.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

It is even showing that VHHH Doesn't exist. I have a pretty good feeling about the editing due to your amazing instructions, I just need to figure out the order and what to install ( what installer you are talking about.) I am not sure what I have done wrong. I am using the Navigraph Airac.

I tried to open airport.dat with Notepad and I cant even read it, it looks like hieroglyphics. lol Thank You so Much for being patient with me, I am sure it is frustrating as heck!

Ken

If you are using 14/07 airac from Navigraph you need to download v2.

Then do your edits

Peter Schluter

So what is the proper order when installing the NAVIGRAPH Airac in the mix, when do you install it in the process?

Ken

Let's step back a minute.

I tried to open airport.dat with Notepad and I cant even read it, it looks like hieroglyphics.

Are you sure you are opening airports.dat (note S in airportS.dat) in Flight Simulator X/PMDG/Navdata with notepad?  Run a reinstall of the Airac first - maybe the Airports.dat file got corrupted somehow; this will reinstall a fresh copy.

Second, do you have a file in the folder Flight Simulator X/PMDG/SIDSTARS named vhhx.txt?  If so, please open it and let me know the author.  It should be Jock McIntyre.  If it isn't there or it has a different author please let me know and we can proceed from there.  (The only purpose for downloading and running Jock's PMDG Kai Tak installer version 2.0 is to get that file installed in the PMDG/SIDSTARS directory.)

So please let me know about being able to open airports.dat with notepad and whether you have vhhx.txt and we can go from there.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Don't ask me how but I got it to work, THANK YOU!!!! I ran the 2.0 installer, had the SID/STAR vhhx, it was Jock. Do you need to run the installer for future notice or a new install or is it included in the FT install? Can I make a copy of the file and save it to a thumb drive so I don't have to run the installer for future use? Also do I run the Airac first and then do all of the changes? lol not sure how I got there I want to make sure I know how to do it again if I ever had to. Thank You, SO much Mike for your patience! 

Ken 

Don't ask me how but I got it to work, THANK YOU!!!! I ran the 2.0 installer, had the SID/STAR vhhx, it was Jock. Do you need to run the installer for future notice or a new install or is it included in the FT install? Can I make a copy of the file and save it to a thumb drive so I don't have to run the installer for future use? Also do I run the Airac first and then do all of the changes? lol not sure how I got there I want to make sure I know how to do it again if I ever had to. Thank You, SO much Mike for your patience!

Congratulations!

Jock's installer no longer works properly with recent airacs.  But it has served its purpose of installing vhhx.txt.  You should copy it somewhere safe outside the PMDG folders, but it shouldn't be overwritten when you install the next airac.  (Each airport has its own SIDSTAR file in the SIDSTARS folder.  Since vhhx is no longer being updated, installation of a new airac should not overwrite that file, but you never know.)

However when you do install the next airac, you will need to put the same entries into the airports.dat file and the WpNavApt.txt file again.  Likewise if you reinstall the current airac -- it will overwrite these two files.  First install the new airac, then make the changes to these two files.  So keep those entries somewhere in a safe place outside of the PMDG/Navdata folder. 

Quite possibly when SP1 is installed it will also overwrite the Navdata files and possibly even the SIDSTARS folder, so keep the vhhx.txt somewhere safe away from the PMDG folders.

Now join the fun (??) waiting for SP1 and the -300ER!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2