Sign in to follow this  
AirborneZed

Bufferpools = 0 artifacts

Using the bufferpools = 0 tweak seems to increase the frames alright, problem is that I get flashing artifacts when I'm panning in spot view or whenever there is movement of the camera only around scenery. This does not occur up the the Flight levels as I am not near the autogen.

This is obviously an autogen artifact problem. Again, only happens when panning around the plane in spot view, and occasional in the VC. The flashes usually consist of autogen textures such as a building or tree, flashing across the screen for a split second. The only way I know of prevention is to re-enable bufferpools and add a poolsize number. Which I have no knowledge of what value to use.

I attached my fsx CFG

Is there any way to stop these autogen flashes?

Specs are in my profile thingemebob

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Is there any way to stop these autogen flashes?

Yes. Water must be at High 2X or higher. Locked FPS are recommended also with BF=0.

Here is a quote from one of the tweaking guides I rely on. I find it helpful. Lately I've been trying to bring the water back down to 2x low and just put up with the occasional flashes. I like the FPS there.

[bUFFERPOOLS]

Poolsize=0 / Usepools=0 (use either or, both do the same thing) – referenced as BP=0

This tweak bypasses the internal FSX bufferpool, and sends the data directly from the CPU to the GPU. Benefit: higher frames, Downside: possible artifacts. A very good balance with locked FPS is required!

Water Effects must be High 2.x or higher, otherwise you will get flashes.

Often seen in combination with other tweaks, especially with RejectThreshold:

In the Bufferpools section, if BP=0 is used, nothing else is required or should be in there.

If you get flashing and artifacts with BP=0 tweak, it would be a good idea to check what the GPU is doing – running a GPU at 100% is a source of artifacts, flashes, driver crashes and BSODs. As the CPU sends the data directly to the GPU, and GPU is not able to handle the incoming data, you will get flashing and artifacts, as already mentioned. The only way is to lower the settings, cloud resolutions, or anything basically that is going to give the GPU more headroom, including buying a faster GPU.

*this tweak can/should be used in P3D (I am using it). The benefits are very similar to those in FSX. Also since High 2.x doesn’t exist in P3D, the setting should be set accordingly to FSX. See the water reference section above.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

In order to not having flashing, you've got to have water set to High 2x (I think that's right - not at my FSX system now).

Obviously it's a tradeoff, as the BP 0 thing helps performance, but cranking the water setting up drops it.  For me it's been a net win, but you might find something different.

Scott

Edit:  Man, you guys are quick!  Several beat me to it.  :-)

I had it on low 2x...

Ok that seems to have worked!... but... those cloud reflection... ewwww. Anyway to eliminate cloud reflection only?

BetaTeamD.png

I had it on low 2x...

Ok that seems to have worked!... but... those cloud reflection... ewwww. Anyway to eliminate cloud reflection only?

No. The reason you're finding the cloud reflections horrible is probably because you're using a horrid wave texture or waterconstants file.

Fixed it using FSWC. Thanks for the awesome response time! Performance is about the same regarding the new water settings, so it's a keeper.

BetaTeamD.png

Well, I tried using other setting, even based on NickN's excellent guide, but I reverted back to BP=0 or PS=0.

No, I confess I was not aware of the "ALLOW_SHADER_30=1" suggested in one of the links above? Isn't this meant only for those using DX10?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

No, that's for Bojote's Shader 3.0 mod.

Ah! Ok, thx!!!

And also just learned, at another Forum, that it's meant for ATI cards only!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...