Sign in to follow this  
Nuno Pinto

Is anyone able to fly into London without OOM?

I'm afraid, you most surely did Alex. FSX alone is at about 1300mb mark, + 800mb T7, you are looking at 2gig+.

Yeah Olli, i have no issues with the 737 in any airport even when doing turnarounds (not THAT common i admit).

My solution is removal of the addon regions (England, Wales, etc).

I just flew into EGLL with the NGX and it took me the same low settings I mentioned with the T7 not to 'OOM'. VAS usage was influenced by switching between internal and external views and by switching between the 2D cockpit and the VC.

The irony was my final VAS usage on touchdown: 3,9xx,xxx KB (mind the "small" difference between 1 MB and 1.000 KB - about 2.4%!  :P )

So basically anything could tip the scales:

- "too much" view switching

- comparing 2D panels to a VC

- RAAS/FS2Crew equipped aircraft or not

- one single UK2000extreme airport installed on top of the others (Gary's Luton is fairly new)

- different weather with a different amount of clouds or cloud layers or a different cloud texture set

It could be the additional 150 - 400 MB of the T7 ... but it could be almost anything else ...

I'm afraid, you most surely did Alex. FSX alone is at about 1300mb mark, + 800mb T7, you are looking at 2gig+.

Not according to process explorer in fact I never ever had an OOM in my entire fs career.

Here's an idea for some software developer, what about a scenery configurator which allows the implementation of individual flight profiles. So for example, if the flight plan was injected into the scenery config editor it would automatically enable only the sceneries for that flight. I'm not a software guru by any stretch of the imagination, but I wouldn't have thought it was that difficult, considering some of the smart heads that are currently involved in FSX software development.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Memory leak in the scenery. Find any landclass fies and put them in their own scenery folder WITHOUT adding the texture folder!

Robin,

Could you expand on that?  Do you mean that you would have 2 scenery folders per addon folder?

\Robert Hamlich/

Robin,

Could you expand on that?  Do you mean that you would have 2 scenery folders per addon folder?

Yes.

Let's say you have: FSX\Addon Scenery\MyScenery

In the folder MyScenery, are two folders: scenery and texture.

If the scenery has landclass files (these define new shorelines, water bodies, etc..), and these are in the scenery folder, because THIS scenery folder has a texture folder next to it causes the landclass to leak memory! For reasons known only to ACES the texture folder is accessed (totally senseless as lanclass can't have textures), and the resources allocated to do this are never freed, so it leaks memory like a sieve (it tries something like 100 times per second to read the folder - very bizarre).

When you get close to the scenery in question, instant CTD.

The solution is this. Create another folder called:

FSX\Addon Scenery\MySceneryLC

In that folder create:

FSX\Addon Scenery\MyScenery\scenery

but do *NOT* create a texture folder!!

Hopefully the scenery developer put LC somewhere in the name of the files that handle the landclass, so they are easy to identify. MOVE them out of the original folder and into FSX\Addon Scenery\MySceneryLC\scenery

Next, start FSX and add this new scenery area. Make sure it appears below the scenery it belonged to. Create seperate folders for all the scenery you have. Note that not all landclass are easy to identify.

If you do this for all the landclass files you have installed, this will permanently fix this memory leak issue.

Best regards,

Robin.

I do find in my case that view switching and clicking too frequently or rapidly in the cockpit is the single most likely thing to cause a lockup. Regardless of scenery settings.

The T7 adds more then 400MB to Vas usage on my system with 1024Mb textures.

This has been confirmed by Ryan who will amend the Vas figures in the next iteration of the manual.

Btw people never seem to mention the effect screen resolution has on Vas. I run 1440p and when testing dropped to 1080p. I gained around 350MB. That's more then I could save by turning off AI, drop auto gen to spare and drop and disable all unused scenery.

Landing the Aerosoft Airbus Extended in EGLL I ended up with about 3.6 GB VAS usage. Any chance for transferring some VAS from the AAX to the T7?   :lol:

Not according to process explorer in fact I never ever had an OOM in my entire fs career.

Process explorer virtual size? Not having OOM is nice, yeah, means only that you have very little addons.

Thanks for the heads up on RAAS, and it's impact on VAS.  The airline I'm flying, Delta, doesn't use it, so it will only help matters if I disable it in the dll.xml.  I'm always looking for ways to prune unnecessary resource usage in FSX, and this is a very helpful tip!

Can anyone else (I believe you Simon but 100M is hard to discern the way things vary) confirm the 100 VAS saving when disabling RAAS in the dll.xml (changing Disabled to True - 3rd line see below). If you disable this addon and you load a 777 livery that has the RAAS option enabled, what happens?

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>RAASPRO</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Path>.\RAASPRO\RAASPRO.dll</Path>

<DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>

<DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>

</Launch.Addon>

Saving and reloading your flight during approach may help. This method sometimes helps me to release up to 2GB of memory, which has built up during the flight.

For me this works! I had always OOM when at the airport vicinity. These happened everytime flying to EFHK and OMDB, havent tried other addon airports I have yet. Anyway, saving the flight will help (at least for me it did). Just save the flight 50 NM or so before destination and it should work. You might have some problems using EZCA after loading, but not sure if this is the case for others (i had).

Also the tip disabling RAAS might be usefull, will need to give it a try!

As I said in my other post, this is the best addon ever, however, Im bit unhappy with the fact that we need to do some tricks in order to fly her to the destination... I did not had to do any tricks for the NGX..... Im sure we get some service pack for these issues at some stage.

Cheers

I solved my problem with the scenery and while doing it, i also found something that frees memory: ALT-ENTER to go from full screen to window and then again ALT-ENTER to go back to full screen. This usually frees 200MB of VAS.

Once again, thanks for all the tips, some really helped setup FSX with all the scenery and be able to fly the 777 freely everywhere :)

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I'm sorry if I am too much of a newbie here, but some of you seem to talk in jargon and code.   It's code that obviously means a lot to most of you, but some of your posts are totally meaningless to me, yet they seem to be about a subject I'm trying to understand.   It would be very helpful if you'd take a little more time to add a few more keystrokes to make your posts understandable to those not 'on the inside' here.    

For example, what do the following mean (All from this very thread):  

OOM

OOME/CTD

UTX

GEX

GSX

VAS

UT2

LoD

I'm not trying to be a smart-alec, but I struggle to understand some of what you guys are saying.   I'm not a total newbie - I've been flying online for quite a few years now, but I've never had to deal with problems like this 777 has brought me before, and I've never before had to look at delving into the inner workings of my FSX.    I'm poking my fingers into what is for me unknown territory.

Cheers

Mike Kear

Windsor, NSW, Australia.

OOM

OOME/CTD

UTX

GEX

GSX

VAS

UT2

LoD

OOM = Out Of Memory

CTD = Crash To Desktop

UTX = Ultimate Terrain Xtreme (product)

GEX = Ground Environment Xtreme (product)

GSX = Ground Services X (is this the name? also a product)

VAS = Virtual Address Space (the actual memory usage of an executable, limited to 4096Mbytes if such app is 32-bit)

UT2 = Ultimate Traffic 2 (product)

LoD = Level of Detail (the amount of detail, in FSX this usually means the LoD radius)

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11