Sign in to follow this  
matt79

B717 / MD95

Hi everyone,

My last post was quite rudely deleted for not using full name  :rolleyes: No notification no nothing,

So here I am, my name is Matt Harrisbusiness.

The main message of my last post was: why can't PMDG design something different. I'm bored of Boeing. Don'y get me wrong, I love the NGX and the 777. I just dream of doing short hops with an MD95 ship and it marvelous avionics but it could be something different: Fokker, Embrar

Anything with a PMDG stamp

If marketed properly (ie lots of videos showing how relatively simple it is to fly, and maybe a different set of clips for the enthusiast.

Just a thought. No offense but I'm not excited about the 744, it't another Boeing long haul ship with similar avionics as the 777 (and, inddeed, the NGX). How about a freh challenge?

Matt Harrisbusiness.

I think your thread was deleted because it was turning into a discussion about the rules and whether or not they are justified.

I wouldn't bet on PMDG making the 717. She wasn't a popular airplane and the majority of PMDG's customers may not buy it. Ask yourself, would you put money and effort into making a product that would never sell?.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

My last post was quite rudely deleted for not using full name  :rolleyes: No notification no nothing,

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules before posting here, not ours to seek you out and read them to you.

I find it funny that you want us to do a 717 because we have supposedly similar Boeing products when the 717 flight deck is a virtual copy of the MD-11 that we already sell as well.

I think it is highly unlikely we'll do a 717 given its limited use in the real world and our experience with the very similar MD-11, which did not sell well compared to the other products we've done. We can't afford to spend years working on a plane and then have hardly anyone buy it - unfortunate reality of the market for FS addons.

• Upvote 8

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules before posting here, not ours to seek you out and read them to you.

I find it funny that you want us to do a 717 because we have supposedly similar Boeing products when the 717 flight deck is a virtual copy of the MD-11 that we already sell as well.

I think it is highly unlikely we'll do a 717 given its limited use in the real world and our experience with the very similar MD-11, which did not sell well compared to the other products we've done. We can't afford to spend years working on a plane and then have hardly anyone buy it - unfortunate reality of the market for FS addons.

My last jumpseat ride in an airliner was in July 2001. It was on a 717-200 flown by Impulse Airlines from Sydney to Brisbane. Those were the days where, if you knew someone right, you could get bought up to the jumpseat. There wasn't such thing as an ASIC. Airside security was "Oh you're with that guy, carry on", and airport security was only interested in your carry on bag, not your shoes or what trace residue they could find by rubbing some thing all over your clothes.

Checked luggage was free up to 20+ kg, Ansett planes were flying around, and you could carry your water, shampoo and handwash in your carry on.

Those were the days...

Those 717's turned into Jetstar planes for a bit, and I remember attending a loading/unloading trial in one for a day when they were being certified for the new airline and seat layout. Bring a suitcase, check in, load up, then get out while the other group did the same. 3 turn arounds without leaving the ground!  :P At that time they were going to be the first Australian airline without assigned seats. That lasted a few months before Assigned seats came back.  

I wasn't able to do the evac one, but I heard it was a hoot from the guys that were there.

Now those 717's are with Qantaslink/Cobham doing Ayers Rock to Perth/Alice Springs runs, Perth to Mining sites, and the odd far north tropical out of Darwin and Cairns. Great airplanes.

The fact is though, they're not seen in many places. And as the MD11 showed, most buyers don't buy planes they don't see. And most places in the world don't see 717's.

It's really too bad that the 717 and MD-90 didn't fare better. I have always been a fan of a rear engine mounted T-tail plane. I doubt that design will be seen much if at all in future planes (not including the RJ's)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

It's really too bad that the 717 and MD-90 didn't fare better. I have always been a fan of a rear engine mounted T-tail plane. I doubt that design will be seen much if at all in future planes (not including the RJ's)

The RJs are moving away from it too - look at the EMB-17x/19x and the C-Series.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Yes true story. CRJ-700 and 900 will be the last and that makeshift sad. Especially growing up with the 727 being pretty much my favorite non DC-10 aircraft.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Yes true story. CRJ-700 and 900 will be the last and that makeshift sad. Especially growing up with the 727 being pretty much my favorite non DC-10 aircraft.

Since PMDG is starting a vintage line with the DC-6, a 727 would be nice. Limited autopilot and lots of hand flying required. I love the Leonardo SH Maddog but it's very dated. A PMDG quality MD-80 would be nice too. 

On a side note, I know PMDG doesn't want to step on any toes over at Level D, but I wish they would just buy the 757 project off of them or something and get it finished. It'll be a vintage aircraft by the time Level D releases it. 

Hey everybody, I apologize - you're right I should have read the  forum rules before posting. If you need my order number etc please let me know. I'm a very long-time PMDG customer.

I lopve the MD series,There´s a company that makes a very good product with the MDs for FSX,, it's probably the most immersive  plane our there. All those cranks and pulleys. Guarding her airspeed... Getting her to autoland is a challenge, 

I would love to see PMDG take on something like that.

The B717 "seems" less complex than say the MD83. Ryan I love to take my MD11 out on short hops, and always wish for an MD95. She's a true dream to fly.

I don't think that releasing an aircraft that has already been published by another company is bad practice.Especially since it was released a decade ago, like Level-D (but please, enough with the Boeings!)

And I think that if a product doesn't do well in the market, it's not necessarily the product itself that's faulty (the MD11 is flawless). It's all about marketing and target audience,.With the MD11 every review I read marveled at the systems,, the complexity, the FMC/CDU hybrid. And they devoted maybe two lines to the actual flying experience. It was marketed as a flying circus, a complex jigsaw puzzle.

A newbie would never buy something like that.

QW has it right (sortof). You need to appeal to all markets. The irony is, PMDG ALREADY caters for people with less experience with the "Load panel state" option and the step by step manuals (not the encyclopedias, but the quick start guides .

I'm not saying you should dumb down a plane for it to sell well, I'm saying that you should consider sending out the message -loud and clear- that anybody can fly it. WXXco does it all the time and their Embraers are NOT easy to fly.

And, well, I'm rallying for the MD95 because I Iove eveything about her :P  I'd love to see a PMDG DC-/-MD8X MD9X series. And the 717 is the perfect ship for people who have maybe 90 minutes a day to fly.She forgiving and basically -I think- probably very satisfying; I don't like to press 3 buttons and let the aircraft land itself, I'm after something   challenging yet fun.

Ok just my 0,2. Sorry again for the name thing

Matt Harrisbusiness

So the EMB 170/190 Series would be suitable for PMDG......   Is that your statement.... :P

I would love an Embraer done by PMDG!

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

If you are really craving for a 717, the closest you can get is it's older brother, the DC-9. Coolsky makes an excellent one, and has a aircraft configurator, which can not only load panel states, it can also teach you how to fly by the means of interactive arrows which point to switches and a dialogue that explains what to do. Rather than me explaining it, take a look:

http://www.coolsky.no/

HIGHLY underrated in my opinion.

Hi everyone,

I have flown on the 717 a few times from Kalgoorlie to Adelaide and it's a great plane, shame PMDG don't want to make one, but I also can see their point of view as well.

I am sure you are aware anyway but TFDi Designs are developing one at the moment which is interesting to see and may pave the way for other developers to look into it too.

I would love to see the 757 from level-d be finished also as someone else said in this topic.

Peter Graves

Kalgoorlie, WA

Crimtye, I own the aircraft you mentioned. It's good but kinda heavy. 

Chris, a PMDG Embraer would be amazing! The ones that are available now are well done (bit buggy) but they lack personality.Too sterile for my liking.

Peter, you're lucky to have flown the 717, it's probably the last 3-2 configged we'll see,And the rear mounted engines are so cool. It has had maybe 20 operators (Hawaiian, AirTran, QF, Mexicana, Olympic now Delta)

Aircraft these days are so boring. Long metal/CRFP tube with 2 engines. The Boeings all have the same philosophy, and Airbus planes are all identical. 

I think PMDG should consider developing a niche aircraft (Embraer, 717, CRJ, Fokker 100) and promote it heavily.

Matt Harrisbusiness

The MD-11 was your finest plane at the time and I find it hard to believe there is a sim enthusiast who doesn't own it. The only reason I'm not taking it out today for a spin is that you guys gave us more up to date products...

I would love a 717 for a break from all those heavies (after we get the 747v2 at some point)

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Mmartinov, same here.

After all the lovely heavies, I'd love to see a nimble yet powerful modern jetliner with unconventional avionics. Short haul, for island hopping in Hawaii, or doing a short  MIA-;MCO. Yeah the NGX can handle tihis, but nowhere as well as the 717-  Personally I'm tired of seeing Boeing's good old FMC and Airbus' cdu (or whatever they call it)

Give us a small plane! B717, Fokker 100, Embraer 170-195.. I hate to say this but only take the heavies our for a relaxed flight during the weekend  - maybe, fiora good long hay sopin. Otherwise drung the week I have time to spare sped it all setting up the fabulous NGX, (which I adre) but its' all too... Boring... familiar.

Now I am not putting down the NGX,m tge .and the 744, they are fantastic.

I'd love a smaller commercial jet now.

M. Harrisbusi9ness