Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Tips for flying in Europe

Hi guys,

I've been simming in the US for years and want to travel across the pond and do some flying in Europe.  Can you guys give me some tips...what's different...any good flights for someone making the move across the pond?  I typically use SkyVector.com and simroutes for my flight planning and approach plates so I'm also needing some tools and resources.  Any advice you can give would be welcome!

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Interesting approaches to try: Innsbruck, Gibraltar for starters :)

Smiley face is right.  i did the second NGX tutorial...took me three times.  I don't typically fly heavy metal. I do fly GA and airplanes capable of FL200-FL400.  My favorites are the Turbine Duke and Cessna Mustang.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Well, we use hPa instead of inHg for baro pressure, transition altitude and levels are different for almost each country. Usually SID and STARS are tied to runway, airway network is a big mess...

Biggest differences I can think of:

Lots of "one way" airways. This can get kind of annoying in enroute planning if you're used to US charts.

SIDS and stars are usually runway specific, and Stars will often tie you directly to the IAF, which is nice when that's the case. Unlike the US, it's not as common to see "expect vectors after waypoint" blah blah.

Using hPa rather than inHg.

Charts.aero is a good chart resource. I can't say I've flown into every European country, but I've always been able to find the charts I need there. Skyvector still has enroute charts for Europe, as you probably already know.

Good morning Gregg

Some time ago, I came across this quick-and-easy primer covering some of the differences between USA and European ATC procedures. It's very basic but I found it informative; hope it's of some use to you too.

http://www.vorstaedt.de/eurprimer.html

Regards

Brian Wilks

Good morning Gregg

Some time ago, I came across this quick-and-easy primer covering some of the differences between USA and European ATC procedures. It's very basic but I found it informative; hope it's of some use to you too.

http://www.vorstaedt.de/eurprimer.html

Regards

Brian Wilks

That's a great primer.  Thanks!

Biggest differences I can think of: Lots of "one way" airways.

I just looked on SkyVector and saw some.  Do the 'east-odd, west-even' rules apply on those or is every altitude used in the same direction?  Also, is there a lot of VFR flying in Europe and are there gotchas to it?

Gregg Seipp

Vfr flying in Europe is much more strictly controlled than in the US. In uncontrolled airspace you can do what you like provided you observe certain rules. However, in controlled airspace you must have a flight plan, instrument/night rating or at least PPR which will only be given in VMC. Outside of the UK in Europe you must also have a minimum level 4 ICAO english qualification to enter controlled airspace at all!

I just looked on SkyVector and saw some. Do the 'east-odd, west-even' rules apply on those or is every altitude used in the same direction? Also, is there a lot of VFR flying in Europe and are there gotchas to it?

Yep, the even-odd altitude thing still applies.