Sign in to follow this  
Vic1

powering up from cold and dark

Hi

How do you power her up from c&d when the fmc is not accessible because is also not powered. Obviously the options to request ground air and power is through the fmc but you cant use it until there is power. I have been resorting to turning on the apu blindly to get initial power then turning it of once I have ground power via the fmc but don't like this method.. any suggestions.?

tks

kav

Hi Vic1

States in the manual. Just for the purpose of powering up. When all is cd and dark click and hold the menu button on the right FMC. It will power up so you can connect ground power.

Hope that helps

thanks for the info find it quite hard to navigate through the entire manual so missed this

kav

Note that you don't need ground power to power up the aircraft. Under the Supplementary Procedures chapter of FCOM Volume 1, you will find the "Electrical Power Up" procedure, which explains how to power up the aircraft from cold and dark. Once you have electrical power, you can do all the normal things you do.

thanks will check it out.kav

`Ok so looked at the supplementary procedure for elec power up without ground power and it appears that its simply a matter of using the apu blindly to light things up. this surprises me because there is no visual way of monitoring the apu start up or any associated warning etc as no displays are on at that point..kav

Another  quick way to get  around the  manual is  using the  search option

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hi what Page is the electrical procedures start up in supp procedures please? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi what Page is the electrical procedures start up in supp procedures please? Thank you.

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

It's on page 6.2 of FCOM v1 ( 284 of the PDF file ).

There is also a very nice trick for you guys to use on the following page. If you really want to follow and check the APU start sequence from cold and dark ( no needed for that due to the aircraft system logic ) you can check on supp procedures ENGINE BATTERY START on step 6. It says to select the STANDBY POWER switch ( overhead maintenance panel ) to ON and release to AUTO. This procedure forces the system into an emergency power condition on the ground which is normally automatically selected in flight when you have a loss of all AC power. By doing that you're gonna have ( after the normal warming up time if you have selected this to be real ) the captains side displays and some other features ( including the captains MCDU ). Anyway you're going to be able to select the stats page on any working display and check for the APU start sequence.

Even though there is no need for that due to the system logic it's a more real way of solving this matter.

Hope that helps.

I was having the impression that after you apply battery power at least 1 FMC will light up (?) ... no?

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Intro manual to learn the FMC trick.

Tutorial 1 (at the very end) to learn the proper power procedures.

At max, you've burned through about 250 pages.

At the very least, you've learned a lot of cool stuff in the process.

Kyle Rodgers

Eh... I didn't care much anyway... After all I doubt there are many airlines who can afford to keep their T7s cold and dark ;)))

The pilots usually seat in the seats pre warmed by the previous guys farts.

Regards,

I was having the impression that after you apply battery power at least 1 FMC will light up (?) ... no?

...and no.  This is mentioned in the Intro Manual:

The 777 is a power hungry aircraft.  The battery powers very few, absolutely essential systems only.  The FMC and its associated CDUs are not part of that loop.

Kyle Rodgers

Ouch. I was proud of miself that I've gone through the essential manual pages. But at the end of the day that's why I hang around here. One can always pick up some missing bits and pieces.. Thanks.

Regards,

But at the end of the day that's why I hang around here. One can always pick up some missing bits and pieces.. Thanks.

Yep!

Kyle Rodgers