Sign in to follow this  
sbclark

Is The PMDG 777 Documentation Missing Important Panel Access Information

Yes. FSX puts them there. It's just a default functionality of the sim

Thanks for your response,

Can I assume these panels that are made available by FSX are 2D? Based on what I have been reading on this Forum for years, is that PMDG is only doing 3D panels with the 737 NGX and 777? So all the panels that pop up, are they 2D, or 3D, and if they are 2D, why were they created in the first place? I'm confused!

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

I use EZDOK on both the NGX and T7 in FSX and don't use any click spots or shift keypresses. I have 4 main views views mapped to the hat switch via a shift button on the joystick as well as a view cycle button on the joystick. Using EZDOK you can have all sorts of lovely tailored views such as a nice zoomed in FMC, a wide view of all the over head, a view out the left window etc etc, the choice is yours really and it isnt as difficult to set up as people make out as long as you follow the documentation. I also use TrackIR 5 with it.

One issue though is that it looks like its not been supported for awhile. I have no experience with OPUS but understand that can be a supported EZDOK replacement with added weather features.

Can I assume these panels that are made available by FSX are 2D?

Yes, but there's a distinct difference in the terminology: they're 2D pop-ups.  This is consistent with PMDG's stance, which is "No more 2D - just the relevant 2D pop-ups."

In order to create these, you create 2D panels.

So all the panels that pop up, are they 2D, or 3D, and if they are 2D, why were they created in the first place?

All pop-up panels are 2D panels.  This is because you have to play in FSX's sand box in order to get things to work.  FSX has only two options: 2D and 3D (VC).  If you're creating a pop-up for convenience, this is a flat bitmap with click spots for buttons/knobs/etc.  As such, you'd create this in the 2D realm.

FSX doesn't have a stand-alone function for pop-up items.  There's no need for it - you just create a 2D panel because it does the same thing.

As stated, PMDG's stance on 2D is in line with this practice.  They're not creating a full 2D set of panels covering every inch of the flight deck.  They're only creating limited pop-ups for certain items for convenience, like the CDU, nav displays and MCP.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

If you press the alt key in full screen mode it brings up a mini tool bar. Go to view in the drop down three's a one that says instrument panel, that branches out and gives you a nice list of items including the radio panel

All pop-up panels are 2D panels. This is because you have to play in FSX's sand box in order to get things to work. FSX has only two options: 2D and 3D (VC). If you're creating a pop-up for convenience, this is a flat bitmap with click spots for buttons/knobs/etc. As such, you'd create this in the 2D realm.

FSX doesn't have a stand-alone function for pop-up items. There's no need for it - you just create a 2D panel because it does the same thing.

As stated, PMDG's stance on 2D is in line with this practice. They're not creating a full 2D set of panels covering every inch of the flight deck. They're only creating limited pop-ups for certain items for convenience, like the CDU, nav displays and MCP.

Kyle, Thanks, ok,

Since these are a limited set of pop ups designed for specific purposes, does activating the 2D pop up care if it is brought up using a SHF+# command, or the click spot technique?

Please understand, I'm not trying to be a pain, but I would really like to use the following 2D popups using the Shift key:

Shift + 2 = Brings up the Captains Virtual CDU

Shift + 3 = Brings up the First Officers Virtual CDU

Shift + 4 = Brings up the Virtual Pedestal CDU

Shift + 5 = Brings up the Virtual Left Side EFIS + MCP + ECL (Captain’s Setup)

Shift + 6 = Brings up the Virtual MCP + ECL + Right Side EFIS (First Officers Setup)

Shift + 7 = Brings up the Virtual Radio Pad (Captain’s Side)

These are small panels, and I find it hard to believe whatever method is used to activate, that the Shift + # method would cause an issue. However, if there is evidence to the contrary............

Bill Clark

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

Kyle or Dennis, I'm seriously thinking of buying EZDOK, but first, would like to know of any possible hiccups with the T7 from current users and can it be used with all PMDG aircraft?

(a)Can I then dispense of using the 'A' key to cycle through the various views?

(b)How easy is it to set-up?

© What are the advantages buying this over the cycling with 'A' method? Is it an instantaneous change of views in the VC?

Thanks for any -ve or +ve feedback.

Rick,

First, I was having big problems with EZCA and the Trip7.  I then updated my FSUIPC to the latest version (4.92), and ALL the problems disappeared.  EZCA can be used with any aircraft, PMDG or otherwise.

The first thing in the EZCA instructions is to delete all A, SHIFT+A, S, and SHIFT+S instructions from the FSX control menu.  I use the hat switches on my yoke to shift to all the views I need inside the flight deck.  I have external views mapped to the hat switch on my joystick.  That's 24 possible views available with the flick of a finger.

It's easy to set up, the directions supplied are OK, but the developer is Asian and there are some Englishisms to overcome.  However, there are great videos on YT to help you if you need it.  I have yet to find anyone who can explain the use of "World Cams" to me.

As stated above, there has not been any development of EZCA for about 2 years.  The developer shows up at Simforums every once in a while, promising V2, but I've given up on it.  V1.17 works fine for me.  I really don't like using the keyboard to shift views, but I don't mind mapping switch and button functions to a keyboard.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Steve,

I didn't set these 2D panels to the Shift + X (X = 2 thru 9) keys. They were already defined. I don't know why PMDG put them there, or left them there, but they do exist.

And yes, the Shift 8 and Shift 9 keys are as you described.

Perhaps, you could explain a little more as to how the Camera Definition of assigning HotKeySelect=2 maps to F10?

Bill Clark

As I said in the first response, you have to make an edit to the aircraft config file. You can find this by opening your FSX folder (by default C:\program files(x86)\Microsoft\Flight Simulator X or something like that, mine is C:\FSX) then go to Sim Objects\Airplanes\PMDG 777-LR and find the file "aircraft.cfg" open it, then scroll down to, or search for (Control-F)

[CameraDefinition.3]
Title = "Overhead Lower Panel"

Add the following:

(note: do this when the sim is not running, and make sure you place this after the last line in that section, which should be "initial pbh = .... " and before the next section [CameraDefinition.4])

HotKeySelect=2

Once you do that, save the file (Control-S) and now the F10 key will switch to the overhead view, and F9 will return you to the captain's seat. It should look like this when you're done: nz5o.png

Then repeat this process in the PMDG 777F Folder, which is in the same location as the other one. 

Hope this helps

• Upvote 2

Steve Caffey

Since these are a limited set of pop ups designed for specific purposes, does activating the 2D pop up care if it is brought up using a SHF+# command, or the click spot technique?

It's not so much the panel itself as much as the gauge code that the panel then calls.  Ryan mentioned that it's better to bring it up via their click spots, so there must be something in the background that could cause issues.  That said, if it isn't causing you issues, then I'd say you're safe to ignore it until you start seeing issues.

For what it's worth, I use the shift commands with no ill effects.

These are small panels, and I find it hard to believe whatever method is used to activate, that the Shift + # method would cause an issue. However, if there is evidence to the contrary...

Code is code, and code has quirks.  When coding, hard to believe becomes a lot more anticipated.

"What?  Seriously???  Why would it...?  *sigh*  This variable passes this value to this variable...where's the...is it in the function?  I need more coffee..."

Coding only works 100% of the time when you play by the rules the code was given.  Ever get an "unhandled exception" error, or a CTD?  Something happened in the code that it wasn't programmed to expect...

BANG

divide3.jpg

In the case of the panels, I'm guessing there's a difference between how the code is called/handled in the shift key or the click spot.  Given the fact that PMDG uses custom click spot icons for those click spots, I'm guessing those click spots are sidestepping an FSX function (and calling/initializing the code in a different way).

Just my thoughts.

Like I said though - do what you prefer, but if you see issues you should probably use their recommended method.

Kyle Rodgers

For what it's worth, I use the shift commands with no ill effects.

Kyle,

Well, I really appreciate your support. I will probably continue with using the shift keys as I never had any issues with the NGX. But if I do, issues, then back to the click buttons or another method.

However, I will also look into Steve Caffey's suggestions. Apparently there is also another way using FSUIPC I will look at as well. There appears to be many ways to get at these different camera views.

Once again, thanks for your help,

Bill Clark

As I said in the first response, you have to make an edit to the aircraft config file. You can find this by opening your FSX folder (by default C:\program files(x86)\Microsoft\Flight Simulator X or something like that, mine is C:\FSX) then go to Sim Objects\Airplanes\PMDG 777-LR and find the file "aircraft.cfg" open it, then scroll down to, or search for (Control-F)

[CameraDefinition.3]
Title = "Overhead Lower Panel"

Add the following:

(note: do this when the sim is not running, and make sure you place this after the last line in that section, which should be "initial pbh = .... " and before the next section [CameraDefinition.4])

HotKeySelect=2

Once you do that, save the file (Control-S) and now the F10 key will switch to the overhead view, and F9 will return you to the captain's seat. It should look like this when you're done: nz5o.png

Then repeat this process in the PMDG 777F Folder, which is in the same location as the other one. 

Hope this helps

Steve,

Thanks for your detailed explanation........the one thing I don't understand is how HotKeySelect=2 is mapped to the F10 key press?

Is there a definition table that shows how each "HotKey" is mapped to a function, and how many HotKey combinations are available?

I always like to learn new ways of doing things!

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

Steve,

Thanks for your detailed explanation........the one thing I don't understand is how HotKeySelect=2 is mapped to the F10 key press?

Is there a definition table that shows how each "HotKey" is mapped to a function, and how many HotKey combinations are available?

I always like to learn new ways of doing things!

Bill Clark

I don't remember where I learned it, but as far as I know there's only 4 you can use:

F9=1

F10=2

F11=3

F12=4

Of course these all have default assignments in FSX, but setting them for something in an individual aircraft overrides the defaults, which are:

F9=VC

F10=2D cockpit (main panel, empty in the 777 which is why I used F10 for the overhead)

F11=locked spot view

F12=top down view

Glad to help!

Steve Caffey

I don't remember where I learned it, but as far as I know there's only 4 you can use:

F9=1

F10=2

F11=3

F12=4

Of course these all have default assignments in FSX, but setting them for something in an individual aircraft overrides the defaults, which are:

F9=VC

F10=2D cockpit (main panel, empty in the 777 which is why I used F10 for the overhead)

F11=locked spot view

F12=top down view

Glad to help!

Thanks Steve................that helps!

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

It's "missing" because that's not how we recommend that you change views/popups. Using the clickspots us the way it was coded and in some cases using Shift+Numbers can screw our products up. Try hitting Shift+1 in the NGX VC and watch what happens to the gauges. It isn't compatible with that method due to how the gauges work and communicate.

In NGX and 777, I use SHIFT + 1-9 all the time and never experienced any problem. I have mapped ~20 macro keys for that purpose - different profile for each aircraft and cannot imagine myself using clickspots.

Hello Steve,, Thanks for your reply.  I did all the processes you suggested to the letter in  the 777LR/Cargo and saved it but F10 does nothing.  It appears to me that some changes work in some PCs and not in others for whatever reasons.  This time, he who dares, -lost.  Richard Welsh.

Hello Steve,, Thanks for your reply.  I did all the processes you suggested to the letter in  the 777LR/Cargo and saved it but F10 does nothing.  It appears to me that some changes work in some PCs and not in others for whatever reasons.  This time, he who dares, -lost.  Richard Welsh.

Sounds like it's one of 3 possibilities:

1) F10 could be set to something else in FS, and overriding the selection (not likely unless you set it to something else, by default it's a shortcut to the 2D cockpit view) Actually, I think that the HotKeySelect= function overrides the setting within FS so that's not likely.

2) Most likely it's to do with Windows file permissions. It's very possible that you don't have permission to edit the file. Look and see if that line you added is still there after you put it in, save and close it, start FS and load a flight in the 777. If the line has disappeared, then that's the cause. Let us know here if it is and we'll get it sorted for you. (be sure to quote this post and I'll get an email, I haven't been checking here every day)

3) Verify FS was NOT running when you edited the file?

Steve Caffey