Sign in to follow this  
Ourgas2

Difficult to slow her down during descent !

Hi all,

Flies great but I have a problem slowing her down after passing T/D.

The 777 seems not to slow down enough and as a result I am at a much higher speed when reaching finals.

I know this a slippery plane. I use speed brakes, enter desired speeds into FMS but I just can't get it right.

Any others having the same problem?

Thanks,

Christos

Yes and yes!!!! Best thing I have found is to be configured, flaps down/gear down early - restricts the max speed.

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

That's totally normal behaviour. Actually the wing is so thin that the aicraft is hard to slow. Also the B777 has a lot of inertia, hence it is more difficult to slow down. That's why it's very important to well prepare your descent schedule and to make sure your on profile with this type of heavy airplanes.

For deceleration it's a bit like the NGX, which also has a thin wing section.

Good luck ! Use sound judgement and airmanship. To make sure you're on profile you can always x-check the VNAV with an easy formula with use on the big airliners : ALT to loose X 3 = distance required.

Or you will loose 1000 Ft in 3 NM.

You are simply not descending early enough. I've not had any issues so far decelerating.

Best regards,

Robin.

Good luck ! Use sound judgement and airmanship. To make sure you're on profile you can always x-check the VNAV with an easy formula with use on the big airliners : ALT to loose X 3 = distance required.

Or you will loose 1000 Ft in 3 NM.

I believe 777 pilots use a four times altitude rule of thumb to calculate distance to touchdown. This is because the 777 is exceptionally slippery. The rule of three doesn't work well for it.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Try sticking your leg out :blink: Works great in MotoGP :lol:

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I believe 777 pilots use a four times altitude rule of thumb to calculate distance to touchdown.

That's the rule a lot of the controllers use, too, specifically because it's an exaggeration of the pilot rule of thumb, giving them time before their T/D point.  I'll have to see if my ATC buddies handle the 777 a little differently to avoid what would then be a pretty consistent "hey, we're nearing the descent point..."

Kyle Rodgers

I believe 777 pilots use a four times altitude rule of thumb to calculate distance to touchdown. This is because the 777 is exceptionally slippery. The rule of three doesn't work well for it.

Possible. During the 737NG TR, we used the 3 thumb rule, but the aircraft is slighly smaller :P

It's important to do all of the above. Also pay attention to the deceleration circles. They will assist as well.

In my last flight to VHHH, I had to make a fast descend 114 NM away from destination. I had to bring myself down 18000 ft in quick time. I used speedbrakes at 50%, reduced target speed down to 305 knots. At one point I was about to overspeed so I had to fiddle with my vertical descent to help reduce speed. 

Bilal Asif Khan

No problems for me whatsoever slowing down.

Speed brake, flaps, gear... With huge drag inducing devices like that there shouldn't be an issue.

Speed intervention is key, you fly the aircraft, you're the pilot.

Possible. During the 737NG TR, we used the 3 thumb rule, but the aircraft is slighly smaller :P

It always amused me when people in the forum kept going on about how very slippery the 737NG is (well it is compared to the 737 Classic I suppose).  I thought if they think the NGX is slippery wait till they get to fly the 777X.  The rule of 3 is fine for most airliners but for very low drag aircraft like the 777 the rule of 4 is closer. No doubt the A350 and 787 are similar.

ki9cAAb.jpg