Sign in to follow this  
oscayala

777 ILS tuning

Hello friends:

With no doubt this new PMDG is the best simulation software so far.

Can you, please help me with this question: If I am doing a flight without using the FMC, How can I do a manually tuning for The ILS frecuency?

I know that selecting the arrival, the FMC automatically select the frecuency , but manually?

I will appreciate any help.

Regards to everyone,

Oscayala 

NAV RAD page of the CDU. Enter them manually there. Along with the course.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Does anybody know how to manually tune offset localizers? The ILS section of the NAV RAD page doesn't accept IGS information from me, and I'm a bit lost on LOC/DME approaches as well. As far as I can tell, everything needs to be done via the FMC and its pre-approved list of approaches. This is the only part that bugs me about the plane, I really miss just being able to tune a frequency and course into the radios/MCP and just fly it. If for some reason all the FMCs fail, are Boeing pilots s#*& out of luck? The lack of a traditional radio, and traditional tuning methods seems totally crazy to me. 

The risk of 3 FMC's failing is so nihil it won't happen. If it does there is more going on and you have other problems then tuning VOR's and stuff.

You tune VOR's, ILS and courses by the FMC's NAV/RAD page and thats all to it.

NAV RAD page of the CDU. Enter them manually there. Along with the course.

Actually I have been trying this, but the NAV RAD page does not accept ILS frecuencies, only VOR Frecs.

Try deleting the ILS already there , let it diplayed PARKED, then try your new valid ILS frequency.

To delete, click on the NAV/RAD page, then click DELETE on the FMS, then click the ILS key ( L4 ? ) it will then display PARKED.

Now enter in the ILS / CRS

Try deleting the ILS already there , let it diplayed PARKED, then try your new valid ILS frequency.

To delete, click on the NAV/RAD page, then click DELETE on the FMS, then click the ILS key ( L4 ? ) it will then display PARKED.

Now enter in the ILS / CRS

Thanks, but because I am not using the FMC for the flight, there is no ILS frequency displayed on the NAV/RAD page to be deleted, just the word PARKED; if I try to use the delete option in that field, appears like an error and does not allow to delete anything. This is completely different from the 767 (as an example) that has in the pedestal the possibility to input any ILS frecuency (and the course) independently if I am using FMC operation or not.

The risk of 3 FMC's failing is so nihil it won't happen. If it does there is more going on and you have other problems then tuning VOR's and stuff.

You tune VOR's, ILS and courses by the FMC's NAV/RAD page and thats all to it.

There is one FMS, two FMCs and three CDUs in the T7. The central (third) CDU is a backup wich will be used in case one or both of the front CDUs seize to work.

I am not sure if it is actually possible to do an ILS coupled approach without entering an ARR rwy. But when you choose an ARR rwy you can always tune the ILS manually via NAV RAD page.

23.png

Yes, you can.

Just try to type in the ILS frequency with two digits behind the dot and slash the localizer course.

e.g. 111.15/089    it works !!

You absolutely can tune any ILS with or without an arrival setup in the FMC. Just make sure that you type it in the correct format!

Simply read the manuals. All the methods and formats for manually tuning ILS or VOR freq.  are explained there.

The 777 is not a rugged 737 where everyrhing can still be operated old-fashioned and manually.

There is one FMS, two FMCs and three CDUs in the T7. The central (third) CDU is a backup wich will be used in case one or both of the front CDUs seize to work.

The center CDU has other functions too of course (PA, mantenance info). It's also a backup EICAS display selector.

As you say, the CDU and FMC on these aircraft are separate things. If you had a dual FMC failure you can still tune the radios and navigate using the CDUs with ADIRU position data.

I am not sure if it is actually possible to do an ILS coupled approach without entering an ARR rwy. But when you choose an ARR rwy you can always tune the ILS manually via NAV RAD page.

I'm sure it is possible, command bars certainly appear on the PFD. All the AP needs is a tuned ILS receiver and the inbound course. The manual ILS entry sets this up.

For some reason it's not possible to tune the ILS using the identifier letters. You can tune a VOR this way, but not the ILS. It's possible in an Airbus but not in a Boeing.

The 777 is not a rugged 737 where everyrhing can still be operated old-fashioned and manually.

Actually it is possible. See the FCOM vol 2, pages 11.50.1 onwards.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Actually it is possible. See the FCOM vol 2, pages 11.50.1 onwards.

I know. What I meant is that there are no old fashioned dials where you can tune-in frequencies or manually set v-speeds or derates. Everything is done digitally via the CDU.

I know. What I meant is that there are no old fashioned dials where you can tune-in frequencies or manually set v-speeds or derates. Everything is done digitally via the CDU.

That's true, but it's still manual input, not automated. The only reason the 737NG has controls like that is to maintain a commonality with older 737 versions. Nothing to do with ruggedness. Those 737NG controllers are still electronic devices, they happen to use rotary inputs and pushbuttons. Not particularly rugged. They aren't like old electro-mechanical NAV tuning heads in the 737-200.

ki9cAAb.jpg