Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Possible Solution: Windows 8 and 8.1 Joystick Solution for FSX and Prepar3d

OK, I renamed the thread title since it's pretty clear we don't have a universal solution to the problem here.

Regards

Thanks for renaming it.  I still hope this possible solution helps users on Windows 8.1 (For me Win 8.1 is much better than Win 8 with FSX and P3D 1.4 with freeware classic shell start button)

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I am afraid this didnt work for me either I just get a ctd which can occur at any moment. I had noticed a tardiness in 8.1 as if there is something using memory, it doesnt show on any of the performance graphs, but I had a similar problem a year or more ago when using ftx scenery with the pmdg ngx. back then the solution was to reduce the LOD radius to 4.5 and the problem stopped so I feel that this problem is somehow similar. we are either running out of VAS ofr there is a problem with a memory controller, i have been on the M.S. comapibilty site and reported the problem i suggest everyone do the same then maybe they will do something about it. currently there are 10 people who have reported 8.1 as compatible with FSX and 86 who say it isnt .

Nigel Porter

simhaven. group see: https://www.facebook.com/groups/493455508243014

I am afraid this didnt work for me either I just get a ctd which can occur at any moment.

After upgrading to Windows 8.1 I was getting these random "BEX Exception" CTD's left and right. I made the following changes to my setup that nipped that nonsense in the bud:

1. Disable UAC

2. Disable DEP (http://www.door2windows.com/how-to-disable-data-execution-prevention-dep-in-windows-7vista/)

3. Installed UIAutomationCore.dll 6.0.5840.16386 to FSX

4. Rolled my ATI drivers back from 13.9 to 13.4 (obviously not applicable if you don't have ATI)

I think #2 is key and is often overlooked especially if you run with a lot of add-ins.

You'll need to turn off "Enhanced Power Management" which is a feature in Windows 8 to save power (and cause a lot of problems). Registry editing is necessary to disable it. Here is the link to turn it off:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2013/11/08/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-device-doesn-t-charge-or-it-disconnects-and-reconnects-frequently.aspx

The only thing holding me back from using FSUIPC exclusively was the inability to map the POV HAT successfully. The refresh rate was just too low to provide a smooth pan (compared to when the POV HAT is mapped directly through FS). I managed to get around this problem using my own module to provide smooth panning support. Everything else, I delegate to FSUIPC. I seem to be off to the races - FS is free to do whatever the hell it wants (or doesn't want) with its controllers :) And I get to keep my $12.95.

Dal1850

Hi, any chance of sharing your module that provided smooth panning support as I am also frustrated by the slow panning speed in FSUIPC? I have read where some guys assigned everything to FSUIPC, but left the hat panning to FSX. I think that it was pre Windows 8 as this would only defeat the purpose.

Many thanks

John

Dal1850

Hi, any chance of sharing your module that provided smooth panning support as I am also frustrated by the slow panning speed in FSUIPC? I have read where some guys assigned everything to FSUIPC, but left the hat panning to FSX. I think that it was pre Windows 8 as this would only defeat the purpose.

Many thanks

John

It's possible to set FSUIPC up to send the pan view command with the hat switch, while having controllers disabled in FSX to solve the Windows 8 disconnecting problem.

To do:

1. In the Axis Assignment tab of FSUIPC, make sure to clear any active axis.

2. Push down on the hat switch and FSUIPC should capture it as an axis, if not keep pushing it in different directions until it is captured.

3. Choose "Send to FS as normal axis" or whatever it says (I'm at lunch at work, so no screen to guide me).

4. From the drop-down menu, choose "pan view" or "pan", as I'm not sure what it says exactly.

5. There is no need to have controllers enabled in FSX/P3D for this to function, as FSUIPC seems to send the commands irregardless and FSX/P3D accepts them.

Hope that helps!

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Many thanks, but I have the hat switch mapped in Fsuipc already by this method and it very choppy. Reading Dal1850's comment, he seems to have mapped the hat switch outside of Fsuipc via some module which made it smoother.

I wonder if you have mapped also the upper and lower corner positions, pan left up, pan left down, pan right up, pan right down, 8 positions in total with left, right up and down.

Without these the hat switch can appear to be very choppy, as you say.

Regards,

Nick.

Nick

Yes, I have mapped the 8 positions. The hat switch is just not as smooth as having the joystick enabled in Fsx, but of course if you are using Win8, that is out of the question.

John

Nick

Yes, I have mapped the 8 positions. The hat switch is just not as smooth as having the joystick enabled in Fsx, but of course if you are using Win8, that is out of the question.

John

John, the method that I mentioned does not require you to map all 8 movements, only the hat switch as an axis.

If you are setting up all 8 movements via the button setup, then yes you will endure some delay and choppiness. If it's setup as an axis it's like using the hat switch via the FSX Control setup.

EDIT: I just realized our experiences may be different due to the type of controllers used. The way I described of setting up the hat switch as an axis in FSUIPC works perfectly fine on my CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle and CH Eclipse Yoke using the drivers provided by CH Products that are installed via CH Control Manager. This method also proved to work perfectly with an Xbox 360 Controller for Windows.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I've been extensively reading and testing this issue in my PC, and I agree completely that this seems to be related to high load situations, most likely CPU. I'm not saying that there may not be a separate issue about power management, it could very well be the case, but after applying all the suggestions and registry modifications that I've been able to find and I am still experiencing the issue.

This worked littlebit. i had FSX in windowed mode and whenever i go to my other screen the yoke disconnect from flight sim so i have to enter full screen in fsx and go out of fullscreen, then the yoke work but the grapich get f*** up

Sorry been away for a while.  Got really busy with work and all.  I just read that P3D v2.1 has fixed the joystick bug?  I dunno when I will get time to check it out (maybe later this week)

Any of you tried P3D v2.1 on Windows 8.1? would love to hear your feedback

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)