Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Possible Solution: Windows 8 and 8.1 Joystick Solution for FSX and Prepar3d

still not working for me...damn i really need help we all need help from microsoft...please update with any possible fixes ...

I've tried everything here and I'm about to rip my hair out. Nothing seems to be working. Some flights I get no disconnects. Others, it happens before I even get off the ground. I've gone step by step and tried everything in these posts to no avail. The Alt Enter trick fixes it, but only for a short time. I guess I will just have to get FSXAssist.

I'm having the exact same problems as you do. 

I did try everything just like you did but Bought FSX Assist.

Oh yeah I get "joystick reset" messages but it still goes down. No change. Actually I even felt it a little worst with FSX Assist... £20 through the window. 

Although I'm flying for a VA, all my flights are tracked, I can't afford having stick disconnection on final. So I put away FSX for the moment, not to throw my stick, throttle quadrant and PC through the window along my £20 for FSX Assist. 

Hey don't forget about the refund policy for FSXAssist.  

Just email your refund request:  support@skypilot.biz

BTW FSXAssist works well for some users and not no much for others.  Here at SkyPilot, we would be dead in the water in a few seconds without FSXAssist.  At the same time we our investigating additional options via SIMMCONNECT.  There HAS to be a silver bullet somewhere.  

Regards

Jim Allen

SkyPilot Support

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Thanks for that Jim. I was a bit out of my mind I reckon. I don't intend to get a refund. You guys keep our favorite sim alive, I am more than happy that you have my money instead of Microsoft for buying Windows 7 to replace Windows 8.

How SIMMCONNECT should help ?

Do you think it a full clean reinstall of FSX might help fixing the problem as long as it has been istalled before the Win updates ? 

Cheers,

Phil

Did anyone ever consider what effect BIOS Energy Star and the C-State settings have on stick dropouts.  Best thing would be to unselect or disable all power saving options.  I do use C-States = 2 for OClking.

Also, do disconnects occur most for pilots with a lot of USB or power hungry devices.  My stick says it needs the standard 100ma MAX but it makes you wonder.  

Your power supply could be the problem if it doesn't provide enough current on the right rails.

But most probably low / unreliable power on the USB ports would be due to MotherBoards designed with low tolerance but I haven't seen (or was looking for) data that supports that statement. 

For our flight devices do we need one of these?

To answer Phil - Thanks for your support.  For SIMMCONNECT we want to find a call that will prevent FSX from dropping a stick no matter what the OS wants.  Basically it would be an OS override.

Regards

jja 

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

Did anyone ever consider what effect BIOS Energy Star and the C-State settings have on stick dropouts. Best thing would be to unselect or disable all power saving options. I do use C-States = 2 for OClking.

Excellent point and observation.  Yes, on my system - all the power saving options and C-state settings are disabled as I am overclocking my cpu.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Hi, what helped me to solve it was changing fsuipc.cfg JoystickTimeout=20 to 100. Joystick didn't get disconnect on the last couple of tries, maybe someone else also tried this as well? 

I apply the solution. But sometimes the joystick does not respond again. FSX control settings look of the joystick does not appear. The only solution is to go back to windows 7?

Apologies if in the wrong place. None of the suggested solutions worked for me (Win 8.1) and to my dismay its also happening in prepar3d v2. I thought that naively that V2 might have solved the problem.

I wonder how often this happens on the usb buss?

Suspend Current

Suspend mode is mandatory on all devices. During suspend, additional constraints come into force. The maximum suspend current is proportional to the unit load. For a 1 unit load device (default) the maximum suspend current is 500uA. This includes current from the pull up resistors on the bus. At the hub, both D- and D+ have pull down resistors of 15K ohms. For the purposes of power consumption, the pull down resistor at the device is in series with the 1.5K ohms pull up, making a total load of 16.5K ohms on a VTERM of typically 3.3v. Therefore this resistor sinks 200uA before we even start.

Another consideration for many devices is the 3.3V regulator. Many of the USB devices run on 3.3V. The PDIUSBD11 is one such example. Linear regulators are typically quite inefficient with average quiescent currents in the order of 600uA, therefore more efficient and thus expensive regulators are called for. In the majority of cases, you must also slow down or stop clocks on microcontrollers to fall within the 500uA limit.

Many developers ask in the USB Implementor's Forum, what are the complications of exceeding this limit? It is understood, that most hosts and hubs don’t have the ability to detect such an overload of this magnitude and thus if you drain maybe 5mA or even 10mA you should still be fine, bearing in mind that at the end of the day, your device violates the USB specification. However in normal operation, if you try to exceed the 100mA or your designated permissible load, then expect the hub or host to detect this and disconnect your device, in the interest of the integrity of the bus.

Of course these design issues can be avoided if you choose to design a self powered device. Suspend currents may not be a great concern for desktop computers but with the introduction of the On-The-Go Specification we will start seeing USB hosts built into mobile phones and mobile organizers. The power consumption pulled from these devices will adversely effect the 

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

Just a question, what's the System Language of PCs having this issue? I was just install the US English Pack on my PC. After switching from German to U.S. English, and try to fly i got a intresting result.

After 40 Minutes of Flighttime and 20 Minutes in front preparing the Mashine for Takeoff in FSX, i got no Disconnects at all. I was in Window Mode, use the Webbrowser and write this entry during the Flight. After switching back to FSX the Controlls still available and usable.

Programs i was run during the flight:

Flight Simulator X Gold Editio

FlightSim Commander 9.5

ActiveSky Next (Was want a reactivation after language switch)

Google Chrome

AIMP (Music Player)

Adobe Acrobat Reader X (With Flightplan loaded)

Mods i was use

Mega Airport Berlin Brandenburg (EDDB)

Airbus X Extended

REX 4

FSUIPC (Unregistred)

IvAp

AES

FSAirlines

personally i am from Germany, my Windows was use German as default language. Before i was change these, i was have several disconnects. Using these Setup. Most Time i got the disconnect also on the Ground by switching between FSX and Adobe to check the Flightplan Settings. But this time, i was most time outside of FSX and wasn't touch the Stick for arround 10 Minutes.

I will do some future Tests, the next Test i would make are my VA Flight from EDDB to LEPA with the PMDG 737NGX.

Edit

1:20h in Flight plus Preflight and Afterflight. No Disconnect was noticed by FSX.

Apologies if in the wrong place. None of the suggested solutions worked for me (Win 8.1) and to my dismay its also happening in prepar3d v2. I thought that naively that V2 might have solved the problem.

I use P3D v2 now and I am not having any problems, but one time I was having problems, and I figured out that it was a dll from a third party addon.  Can you give me a list of third party addons which use specific dlls.  They should be listed in the dll config file.

P3Dv2 works great with Windows 8.1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I have tested all the solutions  I could find but at last, nothing works.

The controller is mainly lost when fsx is in a window, the problem does not appear when fsx is in full screen which is not a good solution with FScommander...

I have updated FSUIPC, it works longer but at a moment, it is lost again.

SO i have THE solution for Windows 8 : Prepar 3D...

The most recent versions of P3d work okay in Windows 8.1. The joystick settings will disappear mid-flight in the P3d UI, but the joystick keeps working, at least. FSUIPC is still the only way to go in Win 8.