Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Possible Solution: Windows 8 and 8.1 Joystick Solution for FSX and Prepar3d

Sorry Skywolf but this did not work for me either. And I don't beleive it is related to the USB inactivity. My joystick only drops out when I use my mouse to select another window. If I fly continually within FSX in windowed mode and do not let the mouse outside of this then my joystick behaves correctly, regardless of scenery conmplexiity settings or UI aircraft settings. However, as soon as I select another window, say Flightsim Commander, then go back to FSX, then I can confirm 99.9% of the time that my joystcik will drop out.

I have a three monitor setp up with FSX in center, FSTramp on right and a mixture of FSX or EFB on the left. FSTramp does not pose a problem because it actually runs as a module within FSX. However, if I wander over to my left monitor and select either FSC or EFB then go back to FSX my joystick will stop working and disappear from the controllers menu. I can usually regain control by moving my FSX window onto the left monitor, click bsck into FSX or EFB then back for FSX then drag FSX bsck to the center position, or sometimes if I go to view Full screen in FSX and then back to window. So, this is why i cannot believe it is a USB problem.

Having run FSX on wndows 7 since W7 came out I never had a problem like this

Also, if this is all down to USB inactivity, then why does my mouse and keyboard continue to funtion throughout? I probably use my keyboard less then my mouse and my mouse less than the joystick.

Ken

Complete and utter insurrection

In addition to the steps on page 1, also change the "Turn off hard disk after" to Never in the Power Options setting (I think that the OS treats the joystick as a "hard disk". Also delete all the registries in that folder except (Default), EnumerationRetryCount and SymbolicName. Do this at your own risk (I'm using Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, the registry options may not work). 

Also uncheck ALL "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" options under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and "Human Interface Devices" (All, regardless of what it says)

It works for me if I come back to FSX and do some stuff using the joystick (turn the rudder, or whatever) every 5 mins.

I'm running test flight 2, will update after it is completed (Cape Town to Munich)

If doing overnight flights, leave window FSX window open abd close ALL other windows (except your virtual Airline Client)

Source: My old windows 7 computer where I copied the registry settings from

Hope this helps!

Just a suggestion if the power saving tweaks isn't helping on FSX, then best course of action is to route all the joystick commands via Licensed FSUIPC for FSX in Windows 8 (it is extremely easy to do).  I wonder if some new latest update in Windows 8.1 updates is causing some regression problems. 

I am not seeing any drops in P3Dv2.4 in Windows 8.1 at all (at times it disappears from the joystick configuration menu in P3Dv2.4, but joystick is always working).

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I too only seem to get disconnects if I click outside the window, mainly when using FS Commander. Is anyone using Flight Sim Commander or any other similar addon on another computer and using Wide FS to communicate with FSX. If so do you still get the controller drop out?

I ran the FSX in Full Screen mode and I don't have the issue. I followed all of the instructions about turning off power management for the USB ports but to no avail.

I changed the view to full screen under View menu in FSX. Then I went out and alt+tab to get to the www.simroutes.com page which usually causes the FSX to lose the controller when I am in Windowed mode.

I alt tabbed out about 3-5 times.

I wasn't having any issues now with the controller/yoke disappearing.

I have the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro joystick and have none of the issues people here are discussing. I've never had the joystick not work properly.

To everyone windows 10 has fixed this problem!!!!

I am using it for months now with fsx and no problems anymore!

So just update to the lastest windows 10 build and your problems are gone!

To everyone windows 10 has fixed this problem!!!!

I am using it for months now with fsx and no problems anymore!

So just update to the lastest windows 10 build and your problems are gone!

Oh this is excellent news, will test Windows 10 at official launch.  Lets hope nothing is broken all the way till final release.  Please keep on sharing your progress with Windows 10.

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

windows 10 pro preview and latest build and no USB joystick connections 

Which Version are you using - I believe FSX Steam Edition has this fixed.  I did test FSX SE on Windows 8.1 (didn't drop my connections) - but it wasn't a long test though.

Yes but in a still way to early technical preview.  It is looking like the best thing since windows 98 though.  You can play XBOX games on your PC!!

cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Confirming that joystick issues do exist in FSX SE with Windows 8.1. I too have tried all the power suggestions and nothing fixes. Rediculously frustrating having to save midflight, restart, and pickup where you left off, sometimes 3 or 4 times on one flight. .

Does FSUIPC really fix this? Epensive gamble.