Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Possible Solution: Windows 8 and 8.1 Joystick Solution for FSX and Prepar3d

Confirming that joystick issues do exist in FSX SE with Windows 8.1. I too have tried all the power suggestions and nothing fixes. Rediculously frustrating having to save midflight, restart, and pickup where you left off, sometimes 3 or 4 times on one flight. .

Does FSUIPC really fix this? Epensive gamble.

1. Now there's a shock.

2. FSUIPC fixes the problem for me in Win 8.1 and although some people report that it hasn't worked for them, I would say the overall consensus is that it is the only viable option.

since installing windows 10 pro in January I have have had no joystick disconnections whatsoever. Using FSX:SE

since installing windows 10 pro in January I have have had no joystick disconnections whatsoever. Using FSX:SE

You've said this before: Where can we get it? or try it?

2. FSUIPC fixes the problem for me in Win 8.1 and although some people report that it hasn't worked for them, I would say the overall consensus is that it is the only viable option.

Thank you Bruce. It was always a great utility to own in previous FS versions. I may have to purchase it again.

You've said this before: Where can we get it? or try it?

Thank you Bruce. It was always a great utility to own in previous FS versions. I may have to purchase it again.

I had 8.1 licencesed pre installed on a new MSI laptop gaming rig. you can download it from microsoft directly follow steps at link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/preview-iso

It will start things afresh so you will have to reintall FSX.  I also use FSUIPC as it has autosave function and monitors my VAs usage. If you want any mor einfo dont hesitate to ask.

I would recommend you try on computer that is a new generation rig and with any software new windows install it has its risks i havent had any issues. i think i reinstalled the graphics driver GTX860m nvidia inspector.

Well thank you and this is good to know. Especially as reinstalling FSX seems to be a necessity every now and then.

Well thank you and this is good to know. Especially as reinstalling FSX seems to be a necessity every now and then.

FSX:SE is smooth and good news dovetail update along the way so if you are using boxed maybe diffrent outcome. Ps i like Guiness (but not while flying)

Thank You everyone.  I personally believe this thread has served its purpose.  Windows 10 offers way better improvement to my FSX-SE and P3Dv2.5+ installs.  Besides I get zero joystick disconnects on it. 

If you are on Windows 8.1 Pro then these suggested usb power management tips and/or FSUIPC managing Joystick will work.  I will not be able to test on Windows 8.1 as I have officially moved to Windows 10 Pro and will be staying there for the forseeable future.

Have an excellent day

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I'm still having this problem with 8.1 after trying all the suggestions I think, and also I've seen people saying they still have the problem with windows 10. It does seem to happen with much more regularity with certain older payware models that are very CPU intensive.

As I said as the start, this is an OS level issue, and can only truly be solved by changing the OS to either 7 or 10.

The main cause was the new power management at kernel level of the OS, so the device manger options can only partially solve this issue.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Bringing up an old thread for a reason.  I've noticed a conflict between Xplane11 and P3D when it comes to joystick polling.  P3D allows for null zones, since no joystick can be held perfectly steady.  Same holds true for aircraft IRL, there is always a little bit of a null zone there on the yoke.  Xplane11 doesn't, it has stability augmentation which works to some degree, but no null zone setting.  I think it's very important for developers to add this feature into their products.  It's not their product's fault, some joysticks are just beasts when it comes to controlling activity on the computer.  I have a Thrustmaster right now and I am not happy with it at all, it's probably the worst joystick I have ever bought.  I think a lot of it has to do with the USB interface, the old serial joysticks worked much better in my hands.  I had a tiny little joystick for years and I could fly, as I was taught IRL, with just gentle pressure on the stick.  It was a dream to fly, finally had to retire it when USB took over.

John

• Upvote 1

When I worked in Gateway2000 (back in the last century), we used to say that USB stood for "UnSupported Bus".  I guess we weren't wrong.

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

16 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

When I worked in Gateway2000 (back in the last century), we used to say that USB stood for "UnSupported Bus".  I guess we weren't wrong.

I finally settled on a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  It works outstandingly well in both Xplane and P3D.  There is a built-in null zone on the joystick.  However I found a conflict between the default controller USB driver in Windows and Logitech's driver, so I removed the default driver in Windows.  The Thrustmaster site did not have any drivers available for download with their product.  It just was not a good product for $20.00.  The Logitech controller works very well.  Gateways did have a bad problem with USB.  My first Gateway fried as soon as I tried to use Xplane with USB.  I exchanged it for another Gateway at Best Buy, after all, they have a decent return policy.  That Gateway lasted forever.  It finally died after Windows update tried to install itself, it got stuck in a loop.  Had I had my Linux chip installed I probably could have recovered it, I still have it in case I need to do a rescue on my old hard drive.  For me Gateway and MSI were very good products.  So was my homebuilt system with an IWill motherboard, which still works some eighteen years after I built it.

John

I have/ had one of those joysticks myself, it's in a different country now, been meaning to bring it back here :)

I think the issue with USB was in the early days, the drivers just weren't there yet. A big mistake by Gateway, was to have a USB only PC with the bad combination of Windows ME, ughhhhh. 

It was fun trying to reinstall Windows ME (Mistake Edition) on a USB only machine, I can tell you. 

Jude Bradley