Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Possible Solution: Windows 8 and 8.1 Joystick Solution for FSX and Prepar3d

Awesome - thanks for the share.  Problem is solved finally.  Yeah!, Thanks LM

I'm sorry to report that there is now one post here and one on the P3d official forum where people say that the fix does not work.

Well i had the Same Problem with the disconnects. I use the Saitek 52 and After I changed all the energy possibles to high in win8.1 the problem was Not solved. Now I start in the yoke the time to Start too and could fly for hours with out a disconnect.

And the bug i still there in P3D 2.2!

Here it is a problem only in FSX/P3D.

All other games/sims are working without problems.

Haze.

Sweden.

Hotas Warthog. MFG Crosswind. MSFS. DCS. IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles.

I am having zero problems in P3D v2 on Windows 8.1 with the Update (whatever MS is calling it).

I have seen the joystick disappear in P3Dv2 -- Only in the Joystick Menu, but it is Fully operational in the Sim, and few minutes it shows up back on the Joystick Controller Settings page.  I believe it may have to be based on usb hub port or something.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Hey Op, Just like to say that i've been having all sorts of issues with windows 8.1 and my steering wheels and joysticks, I did pretty much as you did, and did a fresh install an d was still having problems.

Finally found this thread after much searching tearing my hair out, applied your fixes (just the power management ones) and so far, flying a pmdg 737 ngx over orbx scenery have had 0 drop outs.

So fingers crossed this fix works for me, and for others who give it a go.

EDIT: Well on my third or fourth test flight i had controls the entire flight (kept disconnecting then reconnecting the AP just to check) and just after touch down i lost all controls, including mouse and keyboard. A quick Alt + Enter and then Alt + Enter back in worked a treat though, so... who knows?

I hope windows gets there act together, i know the racing sim community is fuming (it appears to also disconnect racing wheels and pedals for some people.)

Very Frustrating though (i used to have hair)

Edited by LordDakson

I've tried everything here and I'm about to rip my hair out. Nothing seems to be working. Some flights I get no disconnects. Others, it happens before I even get off the ground. I've gone step by step and tried everything in these posts to no avail. The Alt Enter trick fixes it, but only for a short time. I guess I will just have to get FSXAssist.

I would love to try the FSAssist solution if I can get my Key emailed to me :mad:

Capt. Robert Rixx

Hey everyone,

I believe I have solved the joystick woes with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.  I have done 2 days of stress testing FSX and P3D with multiple installs of the program and OS, and I haven't had a disconnect yet.

Before I go further - I want to give my thanks to certain individuals who have helped me and inspired me to solve this joystick annoyance.

1) Word Not Allowed for having his awesome guides

2) AVSIM's staff/team for creating the amazing Hardware/Software Guide to FSX/P3D

3) Peter Dowson's FSUIPC utility (it got me through the periods when no joystick fix was avialable)

4) Orbx Team - Thank you Global and your Tips and Tricks Forum section

5) NickN's - FSX Computer System Guide

6) Ranak Jones of "Rogue's Guide to Acquisition: Principles of Final Frontier" for sending me a spare XFX 6970 for my system and pointing me to Windows 8 Registry to search for USB Device GUIDs potential errors

7) Microsoft MSDN for having Windows 8.1 Pro for testing/evaluation purposes only.

8) LM Prepar3d Developer Network

I know this is a HUGE bump, but I just want to express my thanks!  I just upgraded to a new computer with Windows 8.1 (for better or for worse) and was wondering what was going on with the joystick disconnects.  I had been forced to autoland twice and mouse yoke my way back to the gate (very frustrating).  Running as administrator has seemed to fix all the CTD issues I had originally, so perhaps I am set now.  Hooray! :)

EDIT: Or not...  Looks like I'm going to have to do another CAT III autoland and mouse yoke it back to the gate.  Ugh, this is awful.

EDIT #2: Well, ALT-ENTER worked, so thanks to those who suggested that.  Of course, I'd hate to use that as a permanent "solution", but as a workaround, it works and at least I don't lose control of my flight.

I do have (unregistered) FSUIPC downloaded for flying at the VA I fly for.  Do I need to register it for the supposed FSUIPC solution to work?

Using FSXAssist on Windows 8.1 here and the issue has for the most part gone away which seems to be OK since it is such a pain.  As long as you are not using a Client / Server configuration FSXAssist should keep you connected.  We plan to offer Client / Server support in the future.

Also - any FSXAssist users should install the latest 1.20 build as it has some important fixes for crash recovery, FSX shutdown detection and some noticeable performance increases in startup / shutdown, UI responsiveness and crash recovery..

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I do have (unregistered) FSUIPC downloaded for flying at the VA I fly for. Do I need to register it for the supposed FSUIPC solution to work?

Thanks for your nice response.  I believe you need FSUIPC registered if you wish to use it for your joystick assignment

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

So, here's a really odd thing. I experienced the problem where the joystick just stopped working in FSX but was accessible via Control Panel in Windows 8. Tried tons of stuff but one weird trick worked:

Hit [Ctrl][Alt][Del] and select Task Manager to view what's eating your cycles. It's probably FSX. Simply leave as-is and return to the game - joystick now works.

Bizarre but simple.