Sign in to follow this  
cnobleNYC01

1 Monitor - 2 Computers

Don't think some people are reading this topic completely. 

With all due respect his CPU is as powerful as yours, albeit 300hz just shy of yours, and his ram is running at the same speed.

I agree in part; however, I did some research and looked up his system on the Internet before I made my comments.  A CPU does not make a complete system and getting to 3.9GHz is questionable.  A PSU of only 245 watts is only asking for trouble.  It would have been better too with the unlocked "K" series.  PC Mag gave it raving reviews but stated "The Alienware X51 is an excellent portal to any fictional universe, and our latest Editors' Choice for entry-level gaming desktop PCs."

FSX requires a bit more than just an "entry-level" desktop.

I do appreciate your comments though as that is what these forums are all about.  We can use all the support and advice to help out those who are not computer experts and need assistance.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

A CPU does not make a complete system and getting to 3.9GHz is questionable.

What part is "questionable? It is standard turbo boost is 3.9ghz, it is a 4770 and they all do that and that system benchmarks as such @ 3.9 when under load.

That it has been labled "entry level" doesn't hide the fact that it IS the same CPU as yours which is more important to FSX (out topic) the Ram is the same and the video card is not too far behind either and is in fact about the only difference here.

Yes a K would have been nice, but to say that it is not a very powerful system is just flat wrong, a Haswell @ 3.9 is as powerful as an old I7-975 @ 5ghz. if you could even get it up there (doubtful).

Kind regards.

Yes a K would have been nice, but to say that it is not a very powerful system is just flat wrong, a Haswell @ 3.9 is as powerful as an old I7-975 @ 5ghz. if you could even get it up there (doubtful).

You win.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You win.

Best regards,

Jim

No I still must disagree, you win, not me! You have many more stars than me and are better with grammar.

Seriously, I only wanted to clarify the "power" aspect of that machine, you made all very good points (that PSU especially) and more importantly were honestly helping a fellow simmer.

It is so hard to tell what tone someone is replying with, I hope I was coming across in a polite but matter of fact way.

Have a great day Jim.

No problems!  You were polite.  And I agree it is hard to tell whether an individual is angry when he/she posts or not.  Ineffective communications is why we have so many issues with others around the world. 

In my post in post #6, I threw up a disclaimer by saying "IMHO" knowing that in my eyes, I was probably wrong to many.  I look at the total system.  I just don't think it's good to argue over little things like this as it's a tough chore already for me to moderate all of the forums.  I do hope though we are helping the OP resolve his issues and I think we have.

BTW, your system is very close to my system specs.  I have that Noctua cooler too and so far it is working great.  I plan on overclocking higher than my current 4.2GHz but NickN over at the other site said that was equal to a Sandy Bridge system overclocked at 4.5 or 4.6GHz and that's plenty for me (yours I think he said was equal to a SB 4.8GHz OC).  I just don't have the time right now to get focused on going higher and fsx is actually running very good.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I have that Noctua cooler too and so far it is working great.

Yeah that's a great cooler - Still!

My secret sauce...

I get to work with the folks at frozenCPU quite a bit, compare notes etc a few years ago when this beast came out I did very extensive testing with the aim of quiet but good cooling in medium size form factor.

Custom water cooling was compared as well, pump noise all the work involved I almost went there but the D14, set like this was hard to beat (balanced low noise vs effective cooling)

This is what works...for me -This is extremely quiet, no fuss no muss:

Three fans on the D14, two pushing and one pulling, open up the back so the flow is unencumbered, force the coolest air into it (both fans on top are intake) The front and bottom fans job is to supply cooling for the MB, and video card. The PSU has its own separate air. Keep the stock NV coolers exhausting the heat out, not mixing that air as do the many O/C GPU coolers do.

Here is the best part, the three fans on the D14 -using two new 150mm fans (about two hairs for clearance to the side panel) and one 140MM fan(to clear the ram) all running at -->>750 rpm - nothing to hear! No Noise.

And all the other fans are running at low speed via BIOS settings...I would like to go all SSD , but of course the Video card does ramp up and even that is not bad because NV did a great job there, the newer 7xx are even better so I may go with a 770/780 and drop the 670 into another box.

No delidding, low volts and 4.4 is no problem, HT IS  enabled to boot because I do 3D modeling, tons of PS work and occasional sound and video editing.

I pLan to see if I can squeeze another 200hz out of it, because 900 RPM is still less than what you can hear from the video card.

As it presently is (notice the back was "opened up" with the dremel - free airflow is a must.

Cheers.

BoFR.jpgN6KDr.jpg

IOXL1.jpg

Thanks all for the great posts / debate here!!! Very much opened my eyes to what is needed for FSX. The Alienware Aurora (water cooled) with the i7-4930K (6-core @4.1Ghz),16GB DD3 (1600Mhz), and NVIDIA GTX 760 (1.5GB GDDR5) seems to be the way to go (I'm trying to convince the boss to allow me to get the GTX780 3gb ... but it's an uphill battle there as I've already gone way over the budget I gave her (btw ... she's a lawyer, so imagine how often I win arguments.....)

I'll use my old system for AS2012 and some other SimConnect compatible apps and keep traffic lower (the 30% rule sounds good) than I have been.

Really guys - this exchange has been AWESOME from a learning perspective for me.

Cheers mates!

Don't know how much your budget is but you can do quite well just building it your self, plenty of guides, nothing to it if your even only half way decent with a screw driver.

The budget system shown above was bulit under $1200 using my pre-existing OS and hardrive, and at 4.4 with the 670 really hauls errr Flys! - Best bang for buck new system I've ever had.

Case $80 comes with decent fans, nice all business look and USB 3.0 ports http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345010

Motherboard Arock Xtreme 3 $127 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157372

CPU - 4770K $280 http://www.microcenter.com/product/413248/Core_i7_4770K_35GHz_Socket_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor

Ram 8 GB 1866 CL 9 $90 (but often 15% off) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231550

PSU 650w+ take your pick certified 80 Gold $100-$150

Video 670 GTX $300 or 770 GTX $400 take your pick best bang for the buck for FSX

High-end air or closed loop water $120

Add your OS and drives, atleast an SSD for OS and core FSX install outside of the OS, you can put your add-ons on an other mech drive if thats all you have or chose a 2nd SSD and just put FSX there (best).

You can do it, plenty of Youtube vids and online guides.

I upgrade the ram when I saw a deal, probably do it again for faster stuff and shove this over to another box as well along with the card, but thats only because it fits my budget (now).

Hope what ever you do you enjoy.

Cheers!

hi guys, question ? i want to get a new system to run FSX pretty smoothly.  i leave in canada and iam looking at this site and like this one : http://www.gamingpc.ca/best-desktops/thebeast.php?pcID=3#2

http://www.gamingpc.ca/products.php

the beast specifications

CPU Intel i7 4930k Six Core overclocked to 4.2 GHz Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1866 Primary Hard Drive Intel 520 Series 240GB 2.5IN SSD (Solid State Drive) Secondary Hard Drive Western Digital Hard Drive 2 Terabytes Black Video Card Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Audio Card Realtek ALC898 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio (On Board) Drives LG WH14NS40 14X Blu Ray Writer - 16x DVD Writer Secondary Drive I don't want one Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1300W Power Supply Case Corsair Obsidian 800D Cooling Custom Professional grade Water Cooling system Operating System Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit English Overclock Overclocked Speed 4.2 GHz Wireless Network Card I don't want one Warranty 1 Year Warranty                                                        

i never own a water cooled rig , any advice would be appreciate. since i leave in a remote town i do not have too many possibilities and choice up here.  i want also to get 2 monitors , thinking about 27 or even 30 inches... what do you think?

henry

Just to add to the discussion about spreading the load across a network.

Have a look at this FS9 setup.

On the right screen is a 5 year-old E8400 Intel processor PC running a 8800GTX 768Mb card with a full forward view. No panel or instruments are visible or required on this PC.

On the left screen is a WideFS connected 8 year-old Pentium 4 with a 128Mb graphics card. All it is running is Project Magenta's Boeing cockpit. Although it doesn't display it the PM display is updated 30fps with data being sent from FS9 at 20fps.

Trying to run PM on the same PC as FS9 (via 2 monitors) would result in greatly reduced performance in both FS9 and PM. But via WideFS the performance is excellent. FPS is locked at 30 on FS9.

I appreciate this isn't FSX but the principal remains the same. Any software that can be run on a second PC will help fluidity on the FSX one. If you're running a weather program, navigation program and ATC program all on the FS PC it will compromise the performance of all of them including FSX.

A WideFS PC can be low powered and will help enormously with 3rd party software. Just something to think about. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, great stuff!

I would even add there are some cool apps for your Ipad or Iphone that will display info, even working gauges synced to FSX etc (but I haven't seen anything as elaborate as what Ray is doing).

Thanks PigsInSpace. I should add that Project Magenta is designed for full blown cockpits but it can still be run on lesser systems. The two downsides are 1) Cost. It's around £400 and 2) you are limited to a 737-800 in FSX and perhaps the Posky models. It can't control the PMDG aircraft - any of them. :(

I agree that an iPad etc. would be ideal for a CDU application if it can successfully interface with FSX. The size is ideal and the power requirements minimal.

I'm ordering a new PC tomorrow so in a few weeks will be joining the FSX club. Configuring all this kit and software will be fun!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Wanted to follow up and give you a brief rundown of what I ended up with.

Dell / Alienware:  Don't waste your time and/or money.  The "award winning support" must refer to the award for incompetent service.  Long story ... but the Aurora has driver issues they couldn't fix.  And applying common sense to exchanges ... right.  So I looked at (and ordered) the "Black Pearl" from CyberpowerPC.  RUDDEST people I've ever dealt with and the "manager" actually lied to me about the order.

So I built one from scratch - first time in 12+ years.  Have to admit it was fun!

Corsair 650D Case

Corsair 860i PSU

Corsair H110 Liquid cooler (it works very well)

ASUS P9X79 Pro MB

Intel i7-4960x Extreem (currently have it OC'd at 4.5Ghz - peeked in the stress tests at a little over 4.8Ghz)

16gb GSkill RipJawz Z (2300Mhz)

NVidia GTX780 Dual FTW w/ACX Coler 3gb GDDR5

Bottom line:  Getting 30-60 FPS out of KJFK with heavy loads and addon scenery.  I'm reasonably happy now!

Thanks again for all the great input and guidance.

-Chris

Wanted to follow up and give you a brief rundown of what I ended up with.

Dell / Alienware:  Don't waste your time and/or money.  The "award winning support" must refer to the award for incompetent service.  Long story ... but the Aurora has driver issues they couldn't fix.  And applying common sense to exchanges ... right.  So I looked at (and ordered) the "Black Pearl" from CyberpowerPC.  RUDDEST people I've ever dealt with and the "manager" actually lied to me about the order.

So I built one from scratch - first time in 12+ years.  Have to admit it was fun!

Corsair 650D Case

Corsair 860i PSU

Corsair H110 Liquid cooler (it works very well)

ASUS P9X79 Pro MB

Intel i7-4960x Extreem (currently have it OC'd at 4.5Ghz - peeked in the stress tests at a little over 4.8Ghz)

16gb GSkill RipJawz Z (2300Mhz)

NVidia GTX780 Dual FTW w/ACX Coler 3gb GDDR5

Bottom line:  Getting 30-60 FPS out of KJFK with heavy loads and addon scenery.  I'm reasonably happy now!

Thanks again for all the great input and guidance.

-Chris

Chris- 

I'm looking for a gaming computer for my 13 y/o son that will run his FSX Deluxe Edition without any problems.  Just when I think I'm close to making a decision, I read something that steers me away from it.  I was considering an Alienware X51 (not sure of the specs at the moment, other than an i5 processor), then I saw your problems running FSX, etc.  I am SO not computer savvy (I have no idea what "overclocking" is or how do such a thing) and since this is to be a Christmas present, building a computer is not really an option.  But just curious, if I was to go that route...what would you say you wound up spending on the system you put together?  Thanks!

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.