Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

DX10 Fixer released!

This is just an observation, but what I am seeing a lot of, in terms of reports from users, is these descriptions of amazing performance, being able to use bloom etc etc,   - and then we see in the screenshots that they're often using frame rate friendly aircraft........ that wouldn't challenge FPS on my (pretty average) system under DX9 anyway.

Where are all the reports of NGX, 777, Airbus Extended, Coolsky DC-9 etc, with the fixer.     Despite some promising tests with some specific effects that are part of the PMDG NGX,  I am still seeing very patchy, somewhat disappointing results with DX10 'fixed' and complex aircraft.

As an example, I have now doing some tests at FlyTampa Vienna   ;-

These are with like-for-like, quite modest settings in FSX

PMDG NGX, FlyTampa Vienna, Scenery Complexity Dense, Autogen Normal, AI traffic 0%, 1920x1200, AA/AF generally at 4x, with Adaptive Multisampling

DX9 = Avg 29 FPS 

DX10 Fixed = Avg 20 FPS

It's quite a similar story with most complex aircraft that I have tried DX10 Fixer with.     With the Carenados and light GA aircraft, I am seeing the same as the other results;  high FPS, smoothness, and the ability to use increased visual settings.

But after my tests so far, DX10 Fixer is an absolute winner for GA and lighter resource add-on aircrafts, but would never be my choice for complex airliners;  I am definitively seeing lower frames and increased stutters with it in those cases.

I also still think we have a huge disparity where DX10 is concerned between nvidia and ATI.   (ATI potentially performing considerably less well than nVidia).

As with anything FSX related, nothing is straightforward; and there is caveat after caveat.  Yes I've had the amazing VC shadows on in the Cub and the A2A 172, but if frames drop from 28 to 20 FPS when I'm flying my NGX, 777, AXE, etc, then DX10 is not going to be on very often on my system.

Would be great to hear some more test results and anecdotes from people with ATI, using complex airliners with the DX10 Fixer.   Not so much the "oh my god I am in heaven everything is just perfect" posts, but actual anecdotes of what aircraft you are using, your system (ATI vs nVidia), your settings, and your findings.

I have terrible AA with this Fixer and Nvidia Inspector, the picture just doesn't look as good as my DX9 + SweetFX setup and my FPS are not any better esecpiually in the clouds! I've tried everything I can think off.

Good AA is very well possible with DX10, so I'm sure there is something you haven't tried. Did you set the two parameters under the [GRAPHICS] section in your FSX.CFG? (MultiSamplesPerPixel=X and MultiSampleQuality=X)

Try setting both at 4 first, and in NVidia Inspector try the 4 X Multisampling (<--- although I believe this setting isn't needed anymore with the fsx.CFG entries) in conjunction with the 4XSGSS setting. This should give you some good AA which you can later alter to test further.

And what are your specs, type of videocard etc? You can edit your profile here on AVSim so that it shows your specs under your username as you see on the left of this post under my username (My PC).

<------

Agreed with Q_Flyer. I also had dissapointing results with NGX in DX10. I would love to hear how DX10 uncompatible planes (NGX) perform.

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

As with anything FSX related, nothing is straightforward; and there is caveat after caveat.  Yes I've had the amazing VC shadows on in the Cub and the A2A 172, but if frames drop from 28 to 20 FPS when I'm flying my NGX, 777, AXE, etc, then DX10 is not going to be on very often on my system.

Just wondering because I'm thinking of trying this DX10 Fixer. Is this even after the post below, where you stated everything was good?

Thanks Steve - As suggested by an earlier poster (to whom I'm also thankful), I think we've nailed the individual effect that is responsible for the performance drop ;  fx_PMDG_NGX_engsmoke.bgl.fx

.......... I am discovering an amazingly more frame rate friendly NGX with this effect disabled!

So yes, DX with the fixer is now just hands down better with every add-on for me now... the future is so bright now, with this fixed up DX10 world.

Well done sir!

Because there's also been posts like this one when using the NGX

Just installed this after sitting on the fence and loaded up a night take off in my PMDG 737-700 at FlyTampa's Chicago Midway.   I turned on Bloom for the first time ever.   Fired up VoxATC and let it load in a lot of Ultimate Traffic 2 aircraft.   All lighting was fixed.  No grey textures.   Even MORE FPS than before and with aircraft every where.   I am going to fly this around for a little while and see what else I can make this bad boy do.   So far, worth the $35.

My report was regarding the 700NGX.   I didn't have a frame rate counter turned on during the flight as the one I like to use, FRAPS, interferes with SweetFX so I can't tell you what my FPS was but the human eye can see a difference in 'Smoothness'.   It was far smoother and with more options flicked on than ever before for me.   I am using 8x for DX10 as my AA and setting my Pixels at 4.0 in my CFG.    Looks sharp to me and the clouds don't destroy The Beast like they do with normal DX9 AA turned on.

The thing I use to benchmark smoothness is humorously not the aircraft... it's the Flight Marshaller that walks along side my plane when I am doing a GSX pushback sequence.   Before the fixer he was pretty smooth in his walk animations but I could see a little bit of drop on him.   Now when he walks he is smooth as glass.   That's how I benchmark while on the ground.  XD    If he's skipping along happy then I am happy.

But as always.. because FSX likes to play with my emotions, I have a new thing to fix.  I use the Shockwave 3D Lights on my planes and with Bloom flicked on, planes coming in for a landing with their floods on look like big balls of flashing light.   It's a little ridiculous on the bloom factor.  Hopefully I can adjust the bloom for aircraft lights.   I think I saw sliders to do that in the DX10 fixer GUI.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Thanks Steve - As suggested by an earlier poster (to whom I'm also thankful), I think we've nailed the individual effect that is responsible for the performance drop ;  fx_PMDG_NGX_engsmoke.bgl.fx

.......... I am discovering an amazingly more frame rate friendly NGX with this effect disabled!

So yes, DX with the fixer is now just hands down better with every add-on for me now... the future is so bright now, with this fixed up DX10 world.

Well done sir!

Dave et al., did you check the name of PMDG engine smoke effect file? I don't know how you can be discovering amazing fps increase with the file name you're using.

Thanks,

Dirk. 

So things are getting complicated here now  :smile: ... but to summarise my findings, concerning the NGX so far :-

• The NGX's "engine smoke" effect does indeed seem to swallow a lot of frames.... (yes I included a typo when referencing it's name in an earlier post  :wink:, it is called fx_PMDG_NGX_engsmoke.fx) .... and removing or renaming it, can give a FPS increase with the NGX (regardless of DX9 or 10).
  • With the NGX in DX10, using a variety of different settings and configurations, and using ATI hardware and drivers (inc. RadeonPro), I am seeing a frame rate drop of 25-30% in the PMDG NGX, with DX10 enabled, using the DX10 Fixer.

• With the NGX in DX10, using a variety of different settings and configurations, and using ATI hardware and drivers (inc. RadeonPro), I am seeing a frame rate drop of 25-30% in the PMDG NGX, with DX10 enabled, using the DX10 Fixer.

Lucky you, with nVidia it's not so pronounced. I'm having exactly the same frame to frame counter like it was under DX9+SweetFX and same overall smoothness (it was smoooth here with my fine tuning under DX9), but POV does not flicker anymore when changing views, it's a deal for me.

Dirk.

I also still think we have a huge disparity where DX10 is concerned between nvidia and ATI.   (ATI potentially performing considerably less well than nVidia).

Would be great to hear some more test results and anecdotes from people with ATI, using complex airliners with the DX10 Fixer.   Not so much the "oh my god I am in heaven everything is just perfect" posts, but actual anecdotes of what aircraft you are using, your system (ATI vs nVidia), your settings, and your findings.

Pretty sure there is NO huge disparity ATI to nVidia. But I am willing to test a flight with anyone that wants to.

I have an ATI 7970. Only "heavy" aircraft I have is the PMDG JS41. I have all the ORBX NA, NZ regions and AU Blue. I have the first 8 or so payware airports from ORBX and KSFF and one of the Alaska ones. Also I have the Dukes, A2A 172, and a smattering of Carenado and also Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended.

What test works for you? My 7970 should match a GTX680.

I find in general. CPU limited will always be CPU limited no matter what. DX10 will not fix EVERYTHING. And I have one or two planes that don't run as smooth in DX10 mode. Specifically the B200 from Carenado. It gets higher fps in DX9 I think.

Charles. 

At first I did suffer from a CTD that was ID'd as being a BEX (Buffer Overflow) error but I got around that by following the advice of a few threads;  Start the sim in Windowed mode.  Let it load in.  Let FS2Crew start up.  Let VoxATC start up.  Let whatever other add-ons start up, THEN you can go to full screen with ALT-ENTER.   Fly your flight.  When you land and disembark your passengers and are done, ALT-ENTER again to go back to window mode, shut down the sim, PROFIT.

Interesting.

Dirk.

I agree with Dave. Whilst framerates aren't bad in DX10 mode in my 737NGX, I am not seeing this "magical" framerate increase that others are reporting. To be fair (and possibly significantly), I haven't actually flown anything except the 737NGX since I installed Steve's DX10 Fixer, so maybe I need to do that?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

MarkW, on 22 Sept 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:snapback.png

Its getting out of control, we have Dexter, Walter White and now Charles from Mash.  What's next Mr. Cunningham ???

....and why not :wink: .... Some familiar faces brighten the place up. :smile:

You have a point Dave although after that horrible series ender you might want to consider using another photo.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Guys, could you check and confirm one thing in 737NGX (DX10):

In the left top corner under dx10 I can see a tiny white square, if you drag and undock it in windowed view you'll see the gauge name Light Sensor. 

Dirk.

This is just an observation, but what I am seeing a lot of, in terms of reports from users, is these descriptions of amazing performance, being able to use bloom etc etc, - and then we see in the screenshots that they're often using frame rate friendly aircraft........ that wouldn't challenge FPS on my (pretty average) system under DX9 anyway.

Where are all the reports of NGX, 777, Airbus Extended, Coolsky DC-9 etc, with the fixer. Despite some promising tests with some specific effects that are part of the PMDG NGX, I am still seeing very patchy, somewhat disappointing results with DX10 'fixed' and complex aircraft.

As an example, I have now doing some tests at FlyTampa Vienna ;-

These are with like-for-like, quite modest settings in FSX

PMDG NGX, FlyTampa Vienna, Scenery Complexity Dense, Autogen Normal, AI traffic 0%, 1920x1200, AA/AF generally at 4x, with Adaptive Multisampling

DX9 = Avg 29 FPS

DX10 Fixed = Avg 20 FPS

It's quite a similar story with most complex aircraft that I have tried DX10 Fixer with. With the Carenados and light GA aircraft, I am seeing the same as the other results; high FPS, smoothness, and the ability to use increased visual settings.

But after my tests so far, DX10 Fixer is an absolute winner for GA and lighter resource add-on aircrafts, but would never be my choice for complex airliners; I am definitively seeing lower frames and increased stutters with it in those cases.

I also still think we have a huge disparity where DX10 is concerned between nvidia and ATI. (ATI potentially performing considerably less well than nVidia).

As with anything FSX related, nothing is straightforward; and there is caveat after caveat. Yes I've had the amazing VC shadows on in the Cub and the A2A 172, but if frames drop from 28 to 20 FPS when I'm flying my NGX, 777, AXE, etc, then DX10 is not going to be on very often on my system.

Would be great to hear some more test results and anecdotes from people with ATI, using complex airliners with the DX10 Fixer. Not so much the "oh my god I am in heaven everything is just perfect" posts, but actual anecdotes of what aircraft you are using, your system (ATI vs nVidia), your settings, and your findings.

"Oh my gawd".....just kidding...lol...for myself, I run with the standard tubes and freeware downloads. All my payware is either twin turbo, mid size commercial, and downright private G.A aviation, from many different vendors other than Carenado. Since last night, running with Steve's fixed DX10, I have absolutely everything possible that you can enable, turned on within FSX. I have FSX internally locked down to 30 FPS, and have made sure that the nVidia set up includes the Vsync as Adaptive and 1/2. That is also very important, as nVidia Inspector only calls to DX9. You have to use the driver suite mask by right clicking on your desktop and access from there. I also use the Steve AA setting of 8CASS. I have all the sub mask SHADER fix tabs enabled. I am certainly one of the 'Oh Gawd' crowd, in that I have continuous 27-30 FPS, with Bloom as always on. I could never imagine what Bloom brought to the table, more, than last night as I set up a Dawn flight out of Bangor,Maine....headed for KBOS. As the sun broke and rose over the horizon, it filled the sky with reflective clouds, and a true never-seen-before morning haze and mist...which soon reflected the warm red fire of the rising sun. I have never...could never imagine how real world, and inspiring, this could be. No degradation of FPS performance...none whatsoever. I am a now, life-time convert to DX10, and DX9 has had its day. It does NOT leverage modern DX10 and even DX11 enabled graphic cards to almost the level of an technological 'insult'. I have seen what FSX coding as is, can achieve when driven by the DX10 API. If you have the system potential to leverage the sweetness and performance of the DX10 Preview mode, as now made usable by Steve's Fix option, you'd be slapping yourself down if you never opted to search this out by dropping the coin, and diving in. I am not lying by any means. This is an absolute stepping stone to what we as a community have always dreamed of...either FSX finally running as it should, or a transition to FSX 11 of which we all know is never coming. Folks, this one piece of software, set up in five minutes, will change your entire level of enjoyment and flight simming immersion. Think of setting Bloom once and for all, and then letting cob-webs form on the disable option....and what it does for atmospherics is like going from FS8 to FSX in one swoop. The sky gets...LIFE! To now have Bloom in no way impede the performance of FSX is alone, worth the entire asking price, regardless of what add on cost the marketing channel in this case affects...what you get for the five minute setup...is monumental.