Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

DX10 Fixer released!

You don't have to re-download it: you can simply reinstall the addon using the installer you have but make sure you install it into the default folder or any other dedicated folder that's not shared with another program.

Thanks.

What happened in the "terrible incident"? Did some guy at NASA wipe out the entire technical database whilst trying to get his REX wave animation to work?

The Fixer's uninstaller deleted the entire FSX folder of a user with LOTS of payware and freeware addons because he had installed the addon into the FSX folder: the uninstaller simply removes the entire folder it is installed into. This has been taken care of with a new version, however that version is not yet available. I am sure that for that person it was something terrible...

It is ok to install it in a seperate folder within the FSX folder, right? For example 'C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\DX10 Scenery Fixer\'

Or does it have to be in a seperate root folder 'C:\DX10 Scenery Fixer\'?

You can install it anywhere.

The problem only occurred if you typed in a pathname such as C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X (rather than using the file browser) such that no DX10SceneryFixer sub directory got created. The version now on the servers is fixed. That is not the reason its unavailable.

I am just taking a short pause to tidy up the other minor issues.

Glad to see that you have it sorted, Steve. Normal service can be resumed :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

This has been taken care of with a new version, however that version is not yet available.

The product has been (or was) pulled from the online store, but If you redownload it from the link supplied to you in your invoice, you should get a new uninstaller that isn't an FSX death trap.

The problem only occurred if you typed in a pathname such as C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X (rather than using the file browser) such that no DX10SceneryFixer sub directory got created.

Ah.  I guess I wasn't at risk after all - I had a DX10SceneryFixer subfolder inside my FSX main folder, it wasn't a "raw" install of files into the FSX main directory.  So I could have left it there after all -though doing a fresh install into C:\Program Files (X86) did help me sleep better the past couple of nights.  I suppose that's something...

Wanted to post this correction so others don't get unduly alarmed by my previous posts in this thread.

The default location that the installer uses is C:\Program Files\DX10SceneryFixer on 32bit machines, and C:\Program Files (x86)\DX10SceneryFixer on 64bit machines.

Perhaps I am wrong but should this be the other way round?

C:\Program Files\DX10SceneryFixer on a 64 bit machine

and

C:\Program Files (x86)\DX10SceneryFixer on a 32 bit machine

No, as the DX10 Scenery Fixer is a 32bit program, so it goes in the x86 folder on a 64bit machine.

C:\Program Files (x86)\DX10SceneryFixer on a 32 bit machine

Dave, "C:\Program Files (x86)\" doesn't even exist on a 32 bit machine - there's only Program FIles there.  As cbd80 points out, the (x86) folder is specifically for 32 bit apps running on 64 bit systems.

Hope that helps,

Scott

No, as the DX10 Scenery Fixer is a 32bit program, so it goes in the x86 folder on a 64bit machine.

I've often wondered about this. Does it make a difference (genuine question)?

Adam.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I've often wondered about this. Does it make a difference (genuine question)?

Adam.

Nope. It's only by convention. The OS could care one whit where you put it.