Sign in to follow this  
abax2000

Catalyst 13.9 not working and subsequent catastrophy

Well, I tested several suggestions in this topic, the best solution I found was to continue using 13.4..

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

So, if you get the DLL file (atiumdag.dll) from 13.5 or 13.4, which is working fine, and place it in FSX directory while using 13.9, will it fix it? Just like the UIAutomationCore.dll work around...

Because I would like to use the new AMD drivers and drivers that will come in the future and I am not sure if they will fix this issue.

Anyway, I will try this tomorrow if no one does.

If its not broke...

I know it's good to keep updated on new drivers but if you use your pc mainly for fsx then trust me when I say don't go above 13.4 until this is fixed by amd.

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Same problem with AMD catalyst 13.9!!!! FSX sarting page is completely wrong.( my parameter start wrong).  737 NGX PMDG is not starting, same for other additionnal part

Just return to catalyst 13.4 with restore point and then FSX is OK.

I would try the DX 10 senery fix but I ask if it's good??

Thank to reply

Jean

I'm using 13.9 so far without any errors and have been for a week or so. Fingers crossed and knocking on wood.

I'm still using DX9 and haven't jumped on the DX10 train yet. Not sure if that has anything to do with the issues you all are having or not.

I saw a post from someone else who was running dx10 fine with 13.9 drivers, so I installed them today, but I get the same crash many of you are describing. I have uninstalled them, and reinstalled 13.5 and it is working ok again. I have reported it to AMD/ATI, I hope everyone does so that they take notice and keep fsx running on latest drivers. It will be a sad day if ATI no longer support fsx. 

Ok, I installed 13.9 again and immediately started having problems in FSX. This time it didn't crash to desktop when clicking the menus, but when you try to change to another airplane or change the time/season, the screen goes black and you hear the airplane sound and the only thing you can do is go to the task manager and quit FSX.

So, I got the atiumdag.dll file from the old 13.5 BETA 2 drivers I had before and placed it inside the FSX folder and it works! No more errors, everything works as if it was 13.5 and I have the latest AMD drivers and, if they don't fix this issue, this should be a workaround for future AMD driver releases.

The dll version I'm using is: 9.14.10.0968

I have also reported the issue to AMD and hope they fix it in the next release.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

I had the same version 13.9 problem (FSX crash). It was resolved bij copying atiumdag.dll into the FSX main folder. But I found that there is a newer version. I installed that Catalyst version 13.10 beta and everything works fine now, even without copying that atiumdag.dll file...

regards,

Erwin

ATI Radeon HD 5800 series, W7 Ultimate 64, Catalyst version 13.10 beta

Did you remove atiumdag.dll from FSX when you installed 13.10? Because 13.10 didn't work for me...

I have installed 13.10 again, this time with atiumdag.dll in the fsx folder, and it works, yeehaa, (but not without that dll in there).

Thanks again for the fix :)

EDIT That's strange, just as a test I renamed atiumdag.dll in my fsx root folder to NOTatiumdag.dll, and fsx is now working under 13.10 beta.

Hmm, I think I will leave it in there just in case, but that is a mystery, it definitely locked up every time I loaded a flight to the gate the first time I installed 13.10.

Well, I am still not convinced. First flight under 13.10 beta it seemed ok, but I had a fatal fsx crash mid flight, which I have not had for a long time.

For now I have reinstalled 13., I am back in the air testing, and it seems to be back to its old stable self.

Same issues with 13.9.

I can suggest to stick with 13.4. It runs without any problem.

FSX is almost 8 years old without any updates, so I'm afraid things like this will happen in the future with newer drivers......

Same problem. I've just build new PC and installed lates driver 13.9. I tried FSX and it crashes. And obviously I thought that's something wrong with my fresh configuration. Then I found that I'm not the only one. I tried to installed 13.4, but my system went crazy ... BSOD, 3 restarts, system restore. :wacko: . Now I don't know how to get to 13.4 without crashing my PC. I report problem to ATI.

Restart Win in safe mode, do a "clean unistall of all the catalyst drivers. Reboot without the video drivers. Remove any folder or amd file remaining. Reboot.

Follow this guide, I found it because I had the same issue: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1656824/atikmdag-sys-error-bsod-startup.html

Use the 2nd metod. I hope this helps. It helped me and now I'm using again 13.4

I'll repost the metod. For re-installing 13.4 and avoid the BSOD on Win 7 startup.

Follow every step :
Step 1: Download and install the AMD Catalyst (13.4 in this case) graphic driver.AND DON'T TURN OFF OR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AFTER INSTALLATION

Step 2: Then go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and rename atikmdag.sys to atikmdag.sys.old.

Step 3: Go to AMD directory (usually in C:\AMD) and find the file atikmdag.sy_. The full path should be: 

C:\AMD\Support\134_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql\Packages\Drivers\Display\W86A_INF\B155215

Step 4: Copy the file to your Desktop directory.

Step 5: Open cmd.exe by going to Start -> type cmd in the search box and hit enter.

Step 6: Change the directory to Desktop by typing chdir Desktop.

Step 7: Then, type EXPAND.EXE atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys. Or,

expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys

Step 8: When the expansion is complete, copy the new atikmdag.sys from your Desktop to

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

Step 9: Restart your computer and the problem should be resolved.

Well, I am still not convinced. First flight under 13.10 beta it seemed ok, but I had a fatal fsx crash mid flight, which I have not had for a long time.

For now I have reinstalled 13., I am back in the air testing, and it seems to be back to its old stable self.

Sorry that should read, I have reinstalled 13.4 :)

Also... version 13.10 BETA works in DX10 but not 9 IIRC. So when people are saying it works or not, please specify if you are in DX10 or 9 mode in FSX.

C.