Sign in to follow this  
DannyH73

Prepar3d V2.0 entering beta

I was surprised to read this quote from them regarding MS flight which I thought wouldve been at the very least dx10. I guess reasons why they werent interested in the MS flight code either. 

The Microsoft flight grahics engine was still a Directx9 renderer. It did include some significant upgrades from FSX, but it was still the same renderer, not even based on the DX10 version that shipped with Acceleration. The programming language was exactly the same as FSX (C++). The graphics were not rendered by the CPU in FSX, or FS9, and probably well before that, but they were rendered in a way that prevented the GPU and cpu from being able to run efficiently because each spent time waiting for the other. The new rendering engine is significantly more modern than the engine from Flight. Hope that answers some questions.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Great news indeed. Lets hope they strike a deal with Santa and get it out before the end of the year! Also hope we can run 1.4 at the same time as 2.0.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

And all those poor souls over at FSX getting so excited about DX10.  Let them have their DX10.  I'll quietly wait for DX11!

"Build it... and they will come.  FSNext!"

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Have they said if 2.0 will be 64-bit compatible?

I can only wish with all five fingers crossed

The future of my flightsimming resides only there

From the LM website: 32-bit is a minimum requirement, 64-bit recommended. DX11 required (DX10 not supported).

Darn it all !!

That meabns it is 32-bit for certainty, as a min requirement of 32bit means it is 32 bit

A 64 bit operating system is what is recommended simply because the overall RAM usage will surpass 4G for the entire system in use + P3D

Its talking about windows 7 64 bit vs 32 bit windows 7 just in case you got that confused. 

Not sure if I read your posts correctly. But Prepard3d 64 bit is quite likely a long ways off still because of the difficulty it presents. They had no plans to make this 64 bit. But DX11 and squash bugs as well as better memory management, multi threading. 

True those things should help.

As in when I arrive at a higly customised airport, the load approaches 4G, but when I load FSX at that airport, same conditions, the load is 2.7G

So with better mem management this should increase our headroom Id think

allen

And all those poor souls over at FSX getting so excited about DX10.  Let them have their DX10.  I'll quietly wait for DX11!

"Build it... and they will come.  FSNext!"

I still use FSX because i love dx10 and because its the only platform for PMDG. Im not going to get into whether they work or not in P3D. And the awesome 777 blocks it anyhow. I can still enjoy benefits of dx10 in the meantime since p3d and dx9 was giving me a whole lot of OOMs whereas the same settings in fsx with dx10 had quite a different VAS number. That said, Im sure p3d v2 will have addressed alot of those issues and its really about better memory management internally, as well as dx11 allowing more gpu usage and VRAM. Cant wait for its arrival. 

CYVR LSZH 

So what does DX11 give us?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Will DX11 allow VRAM to be excluded from the 4G limit, essentially making the overall limit 4G + xG of VRAM ?

Will DX11 allow VRAM to be excluded from the 4G limit, essentially making the overall limit 4G + xG of VRAM ?

In short, yes!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

With you on that.  Tried the DX10 fixer, some very nice effects, extremely atmospheric... but on my system, performance problems related to antialiasing, bad jaggies and shimmers, and artifacts at third party airports.  I'm sure I could get it working better with a lot of effort, but my appetite for tweaking FSX (which I've already got nicely tuned for DX9) is minimal - especially with the prospect of P3D 2.0 around the corner . I haven't tried P3D yet but when 2.0 comes along, I expect to cross over.

So DX11 will eliminate the 4GB ram limit? Well...awesome. That's mainly why I was curious about an eventual 64-bit P3D.

There is a lot available for 3d programming with the dx11 api. I am must wondering if LM has announced what features they will implement in this next release.

Bob

DX11 only? That has me wondering. I just upgraded my laptop to a DX11 capable video card as Star Citizen is DX11 only and would not run on my previous laptop as it peaked at DX10. So I wonder is it DX11 has to be installed or a DX11 capable video card.

Directx 11 comes standard with both Windows 7 and Windows 8. As to graphics cards, pretty much everything nVidia has made since the GTX 400 series is DirectX 11 compatible:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dx11/supported-gpus

Most video games for the PC are still 32 bit, mostly because much of the graphical heavy lifting has been offloaded to the GPU. This shift from CPU to GPU is good for consumers, since it is a lot easier to buy a new video card than it is to upgrade your CPU (and everything that might also be required such as a new mobo, PSU and RAM). Further, Intel keeps changing the CPU pin configurations on their mobo designs, as its gesture to planned obsolescence.

Presently P3d is DX9 and FSX is either DX9 or DX10. Buying a new video card helps your FPS a bit on an older system, but basically the improvement is capped by the capabilities of the CPU. With DX11, that bottleneck should be less important. Basically nVidia figured out a few years ago that they could go toe to toe with Intel,at least in the video game market.  We peons continue to refer to CPUs and GPUs as entirely different beasts, but the distinction is being blurred.

With you on that.  Tried the DX10 fixer, some very nice effects, extremely atmospheric... but on my system, performance problems related to antialiasing, bad jaggies and shimmers, and artifacts at third party airports.  I'm sure I could get it working better with a lot of effort, but my appetite for tweaking FSX (which I've already got nicely tuned for DX9) is minimal - especially with the prospect of P3D 2.0 around the corner . I haven't tried P3D yet but when 2.0 comes along, I expect to cross over.

Try this thread out. Jeroen explains it well and all the posts might get you some insight and settings for you to try in combination. P3DV2 sounds close but who knows what happens when bugs show up and we wait alot longer than intended. 

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/421674-dx10-and-fsaa-some-personal-observations/

So DX11 will eliminate the 4GB ram limit? Well...awesome. That's mainly why I was curious about an eventual 64-bit P3D.

I really dont think its possible to eliminate the 4gb limit. 32 bit is 32 bit which is hardcoded to not use more than 4gb period. What DX11 would do is allow alot more textures and so forth so that they are loaded into VRAM therefore freeing up the VAS. So a 2GB+ video card becomes more important these days.

CYVR LSZH