Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Ancient Brit

Anyone else have tons & tons of junk emails daily?

Hi all, every day, I get about 50-80 email in my outlook with junk, and virus infected file. I have NOrton and it always quaratine those files. Does anyone else have this problem also. I get alot from:....@aol.com....@BlackPlanet.com....@juno.comThis is really anoying!Thanks,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Guest Frank Betts

I have been getting alot myself. That stupid Klez virus. Of course my Pc- cillin drop's em' like flies as they arrive though Still annoying though.

Guest emergency_pants

That's a lot of daily junk mail. You could contact your ISP and ask them whether they have server-side junk mail filters. Secondly, you might wanna consider changing your email address. It sounds like a severe thing to do, but if you change your email address now and only use it to mail friends/family/secure contacts, you won't get any more junk.Junk mail mainly comes from lists of addresses that are collected from all over the web. Spammers can use bots which scour sites and databases for email addresses. It may be that you put your email address on a list, innocently, one time and it has been collected.I am always really careful about who gets my personal address. I use freebie webmail (hotmail) for all my online email stuff... for registering forums, etc. That way, I doesn't matter if I get spam... in effect, my hotmail accounts are spam accounts.Also... it's possible that your excessive inbox is due to some current mail-based viruses knocking about. You're may be getting some returned mail messages and a whole stack of "re:" mails. Bit of a nightmare virus.Good luck with it.Simon.

Guest Ken_Salter

Another option is to use a challenge email program. You may have seen them - they automatically send a challenge email to any unregonized email address. The sender must respond to the challenge in order to send you more email. This virtually eliminates auto-senders (read: spammers).http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

Guest Dee Waldron

Ken,Where can we find more information on this type of e-mail client?Thanks!Dee Waldron (HJG)

Guest Brent Hebert

Actually my ISP refuses to block spam mail from places like Yahoo.com or other free providers. I've requested it and they said that it was their policy not to interfere.I've been getting several a day and I am not sure which of my alias email addresses they are using because they send it out with the blind carbon copy function.Last week, 5 of them had the BugBear virus, and my AV stopped it. I have changed my address Friday and deleted the two aliases from my server account. I keep the email function off on most forums.Brent HebertMEMBERhttp://www.cox-internet.com/bhebert/aopa.jpg

Guest Dee Waldron

Thanks Ken! I'll look into that. :)Yes, I've been getting an unusual amount of junk mail lately too. My in-box block list is now several pages long, and still some manage to get through.Dee Waldron (HJG)

I used to get over a hundred a day, most I now block.I'm lucky to run my own mailserver making it easier (and making blocking possible without taking up a lot of bandwidth downloading the messages) as well as making it seem the address doesn't exist (serverside failure notices look different to clientside failure notices.I now block (among others) all the following address ranges:*.ru (Russsia)*.tw (Taiwan)*.cn (China)*.kr (Korea)*.br (Brazil)*hotmail**yahoo**juno**earthlink**bigfoot* (after they started spamming me when I terminated an account I had there)*%%* (any address with more than one number in a row)except some exceptions for mailing lists and friends.No more than one or so an hour gets through.

90% of spam now uses spoofed from and reply-to headers, so you're sending a lot of email to people who either don't exist or have nothing to do with it eating up more network traffic (not to mention the bounces...).

Guest Ken_Salter

I agree that is probably true. However, I also know that this method combined with a community database lookup of known spam addresses and user controlled allow/block list has eliminated 99.9% of spam at my company (and we used to get a LOT of spam!)I also think that continued use of this type of software will force spammers to realize that they are now obsolete.I read recently that snail spam is now on the rise because of the fights being fought with spam and telemarketers....http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

snail spam will never become the huge problem email spam is for the simple reason it costs them money (whereas email spam costs only the receiver).

Since I have changed my email address to a "More" complex one made up of both numbers and letters (does not actually spell anything), my junk email has stopped. I could have gone a step or two further by making some of it "Case" sensitive (upper and lower letters). So far this has worked.Finally, I stopped placing my email address on any of those online forms that require you sign in with one. That most likely is the best way to stay off the unwanted spammers lists.Terry

Guest The Ancient Brit

Brent,It is just as well food stores do not adopt the same attitude as your ISP. Imagine complaining to a food store about food that was clearly rotten and being told it was company policy not to