Sign in to follow this  

DX10 and FSAA: some personal observations

so the Fixer list should show this order by AA strength

Ah, interesting, thanks! I presumed the order in the Fixer was the order of strength. Thanks for clarifying this. I now see I could/should have found that out myself by simply looking at the numbers... ^_^

Regarding the FSAA number having to be the same as the one for SGSS: in the OP I was wondering how you could match the number for FSAA with SGSS when you use for instance 32x: I now see that you only have to look at the MultiSamplesPerPixel number which is either 2, 4 or 8 so there always will be a possible match for SGSS.

Using 16x CSAA sounds like an interesting option but it has to be combined with 4sSGSS which gives shimmering... FSX is always about compromises. ^_^ I didn't test my new settings yet with very dense cloud coverage so maybe that will force me to go for one of the 4x options anyway. The shimmering isn't THAT bad (as it is with 2x) but still... I'd like to keep 8x.

EDIT

Bummer, I tried to edit the OP to change the order of the FSAA settings to strength and update a few things but when I wanted to save it, I had no rights to edit it anymore... What a shame. Hopefully people will read the entire topic.

Your settings wit dx10 fixer at 32x is amazing WOW

But (important question) how is performance? ^_^ 32x with 8xSGSS did have an impact on performance on my PC, although not as big as you would think! You might want to check what happens when you are flying with a lof of clouds around!

Great post Jeroen!

One quick point to add about Maximum pre-rendered frames is I've found that setting it to 1 with unlimited frames (+ an external limiter) seems to help reduce blurries.

Try this .nip, Rob - just import it into your Inspector. and this for a cfg, I've already changed the GPU's [Display...] parts to suit your 770.

Thanks a lot Paul. I am using your files, and tweaking things. FYI my 4770k is not overclocked yet, as I just got things setup. I am using Photo Scenery for a test, using KLAX from FSDT. I do not see the shimmering or jaggies now, so well done! Thank you! What I am seeing is the terrain being somewhat blurry and then getting into focus as I fly. But overall the scenery doesn't look at sharp as I remember it with my 5850. Getting around 30fps at 10k feet. I have the lod_radius set to 6.5, btw.

Any idea what might be causing that?

Thanks for all your help Paul. You are prolific! 

Rob, what are these entries in your cfg?

SHADER_OPTIMIZE=1
SHADER_PARTIAL_PRECISION=1

Here is another little list that might help some people and which I would have liked to have added to the OP but well... here it goes anyway. ^_^

Which Inspector SGSS setting (Sparse Grid SuperSampling) to use with which Fixer's FSAA setting (FullScreen AntiAliasing)?

Fixer 2x : Inspector 2xSGSS

Fixer 4x, 8x CSAA, 16x CSAA : Inspector 4xSGSS

Fixer 8x, 16xQ CSAA, 32x : Inspector 8xSGSS

I've gotten use to the slight shimmer here and there.  I found that the NI 16x AF setting helps the shimmer, as does setting LOD bias to allow (versus clamp), and the associated LOD bias to -1.0.  Some claim using negative LOD bias goes hand-in-hand with using TSSAA and I tend to agree.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Ton of clouds rock solid 30fps but this all looks interesting great post

Rock solid was with carenado b200 have to check T777

Did have a bit of jaggies on carenado stripes on lighted side of aircraft but not on dark side - weird

Rich Sennett

One quick point to add about Maximum pre-rendered frames is I've found that setting it to 1 with unlimited frames (+ an external limiter) seems to help reduce blurries.

Thanks for the tip. However, I use the ingame limiter because external limiters give blurries on my PC... ^_^ But of course those who do use an external limiter could give this a try.

I've gotten use to the slight shimmer here and there.  I found that the NI 16x AF setting helps the shimmer, as does setting LOD bias to allow (versus clamp), and the associated LOD bias to -1.0.  Some claim using negative LOD goes hand-in-hand with using TSSAA and I tend to agree.

Thanks for the tip. I did give that exact setting a try but I mainly looked at performance and sharpness (and didn't notice a difference) but I didn't look at shimmering at that time... So I will try it again and see if this resolves the shimmering I have with the 4x settings. I do seem to remember though that using Allow and a negative value actually introduces extra shimmering...?

P.S. I have to add that the shimmering I get with 4x isn't too bad and something I could get used to very easily, so if I notice that clouds together with 8x brings performance down (ever so slightly) I might go for one of the 4x options anyway (4x or 8x CSAA or 16x CSAA with 4xSGSS).

Steve you have done an amazing job - thanks

Oh any ideas on skeleton effect in the T777 spot view and VC view ?

Rich Sennett

Rob, what are these entries in your cfg?

SHADER_OPTIMIZE=1

SHADER_PARTIAL_PRECISION=1

Hi Dylan,

Both are just as you have them. I think I might have solved it. I increased the lod_radius to 9.5 and so far I am not seeing the blurries. The ground doesn't look as crisp as I remember it, but it is consistent now. Not sure if there is a crisp setting somewhere. lol

Thanks for the help!

I spend quite some time testing various combinations and I came to the conclusion that (at least on my PC with a 1080i screen) I at LEAST need to use FSAA 4x (using the Fixer and thus using FSX.cfg) and 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling (using nVidia Inspector). Any lower setting or combination of lower settings results in obvious jaggies and/or shimmering.

Two questions :

1. What should be the Filtering and the AA setting within FSX?

2. I run FS in the windowed mode.  Since you have mentioned FSAA (Full Screen Anti Aliasing), does this apply to the windowed mode too or is it that I need to consider some other settings as well?

Ted

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own1_378x68.jpg ftx_supporter_avsim.gif