Sign in to follow this  
Skysurfer007

COMM receiver buttons and MIC switches are coupled in the real aircraft

I´m not sure if this is already on the list of a coming SP release.

If you press the MIC button in the real aircraft the corresponding COMM receiver buttons illuminates and activates automatically. Of course not depressed but it illuminates and is active. Additionally you can listen to as many other channels as you want, but it is not possible to deselect the COMM receiver button of the active MIC-channel. This is the way it works in the 737 (should also be fixed in the NGX) and I can´t imagine it is different in the 777!  

Cheers,

Berni

So, in effect, you're just making the assumption that they are the same....?

He flies the 737 for a living, and what he says makes perfect sense (being able to transmit on a frequency you're not receiving isn't a good idea). Assumption maybe, but a fairly safe one.

He flies the 737 for a living, and what he says makes perfect sense (being able to transmit on a frequency you're not receiving isn't a good idea). Assumption maybe, but a fairly safe one.

Right, but if I understood correctly, on the 737 you cannot deselect the receiver of the frequency you have also selected to transmit on.  Therefore, if you want to receive on another frequency (for ATC, FSS, weather, company frequency, etc.) than you'll be receiving on 2 different frequencies at the same time (also not a good idea).

Being that he also assumed it was a bug and that the fix "is incorporated into the next SP release", and the fact that the 737 and 777 serve completely different purposes and don't have much in common aside from both being airplanes and made by Boeing, I'd say it's a rather brash assumption to say that it is a bug at this point.

Right, but if I understood correctly, on the 737 you cannot deselect the receiver of the frequency you have also selected to transmit on. Therefore, if you want to receive on another frequency (for ATC, FSS, weather, company frequency, etc.) than you'll be receiving on 2 different frequencies at the same time (also not a good idea).

Being that he also assumed it was a bug and that the fix "is incorporated into the next SP release", and the fact that the 737 and 777 serve completely different purposes and don't have much in common aside from both being airplanes and made by Boeing, I'd say it's a rather brash assumption to say that it is a bug at this point.

What he's said makes sense.

Both 737 and 777 being planes flown by two pilots who need to talk to ATC makes them pretty much the same in this case; if this is the basis for your argument I see there's little chance of any point getting through to you however reasonable.

Therefore, if you want to receive on another frequency (for ATC, FSS, weather, company frequency, etc.) than you'll be receiving on 2 different frequencies at the same time (also not a good idea).

You can always turn down the volume, if you want to listen only on one frequency. Just don´t forget to turn it up again, after you are done on your "second set"!

@Jordan, thanks for your posts! 

What he's said makes sense.

Both 737 and 777 being planes flown by two pilots who need to talk to ATC makes them pretty much the same in this case; if this is the basis for your argument I see there's little chance of any point getting through to you however reasonable.

I don't quite see how two crewmembers not wanting to receive on two frequencies at the same time is unreasonable.   I also don't see how your point of "...it is perfectly acceptable for two crewmembers to receive on more than one frequency at a time, and also since it is a two person airplane they should all be the same" is a conclusion based off sound decision-making.  I must be missing something...

You can always turn down the volume, if you want to listen only on one frequency. Just don´t forget to turn it up again, after you are done on your "second set"!

@Jordan, thanks for your posts! 

Sure you could finagle with volume knobs... or accomplish the same thing by being able to push a button and turn off the receiver.  I've flown airplanes with both options and always found turning off the receiver for the 10 seconds you need something from another frequency to be a much easier option.

Sure you could finagle with volume knobs... or accomplish the same thing by being able to push a button and turn off the receiver.  I've flown airplanes with both options and always found turning off the receiver for the 10 seconds you need something from another frequency to be a much easier option.

We are not talking about the Com panel of a Piper Warrior.. (had some bad moments with that haha )

The way how you work in the airliner cockpit... usually you have almost all receiver buttons activated... and adjusted to your needs.

On a volume scale 1-10

VHF1 your active ATC frequ. - 8

VHF2 emergency 121.5         - 3

FLT int                                   - 5 better understanding of your colleague

CABIN int                               - 2 to be able to now what is going on in the back

PA                                         - 2 same as CABIN

And as Jordan say´s, it would be pretty bad to have an active MIC on a frequ, which you don´t monitor. So therefore the automatic receiver selection. 

EDIT

just read the manuals... Communications...

Transmitter Select switches

Push-

- the MIC light illuminates

- selects the receiver audio on, if not already manually selected on

Berni,

The automatic receiver selection is functioning in the 777. The only difference from the 737 is that the receiver light will not be illuminated. It will only illuminate when the receiver is manually turned on.

So, when you select the MIC the corresponding receiver will be active, even if the light remains off.  .

See FCOM v.2 page 5.10.1 (item 1: Transmitter Select Switches) and 5.10.2 (item 6: receiver lights)

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg