Sign in to follow this  
cvearl

DX10 Fixer - ATI/AMD AA and Vsync Guide

Ok, so I changed AA from 8X to 4X in the DX10 Controller and there are no more artefacts appearing for now. Left BP = 0 the same. 

4X still looks very good but 8X does look that tiny bit sharper

edit....I tried flying in the rain at same settings. It was ok for a while then some intermittent artefacts. Looks like my card is struggling a bit under my current set up

I've just noticed now that I've logged more flying time, that after 3 to 4 minutes horrendous artefacts are appearing. I didn't notice this last night when I first installed. As I said above my card is an ATI 7850HD 2GB and I've been using the BP = 0 tweak.

Do you have any suggestions on BP or a suitable reject threshold?

Tony

I have the exact same thing Tony... Is 4X AA all you did in the Fixes menues? I have been trying EVERYTHING.....and cant fix it....these are the topics I have made with some stills....is this what your seeing too?

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/422802-serious-issue-with-ati-and-steves-dx10-fix-tears-and-spikes-everywhere/#entry2817861

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

I have recently purchased a R9 290X. Now strating to become a nightmare.

When I received the card I did a new clean insto of Win 8.1 and started using FSX DX10 (Steve's Fixer) with the 290X. After lots of issues finally got it running. Documented how I did this along the way so I could duplicate at a later date. Once I had it all running nicely I decided to start fresh again with a new Win 8.1 install and that would be the basis for the future (yes stupid).

Anyway could not get it to run on Win 8.1again when Radeonpro was open. Close Radeonpro and all is good. This is the same for DX9 and DX10. Not a problem, the issue must be Win 8.1 Time to move back to good old Win 7.

Fresh install of Win 7. Same problem. FSX crashes when Radeonpro is open. Perfect when Radeonpro closed.I have the latest version that recognises the R290 but have also tried the previous version.

This is driving me insane and a cheap 290X is about to come up for sale. Would anyone be able to offer me assistance with this issue? I have reinstalled (following the AMD guide) the video drivers. I have reinstalled Radeonpro. I have run CCleaner to claen and registry issues. Now at a loss as what to do. Can't see how reinstalling FSX will do anything as it works ok with Radeonpro closed.

I need Radeonpro because it is the only way to have Vsync. CCC does nothing for this. Crash details below:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    fsx.exe
  Application Version:    10.0.61472.0
  Application Timestamp:    475e17d3
  Fault Module Name:    KERNELBASE.dll
  Fault Module Version:    6.1.7601.18015
  Fault Module Timestamp:    50b83c8a
  Exception Code:    c06d007e
  Exception Offset:    0000c41f
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    3081

Thanks

Michael

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

I have recently purchased a R9 290X. Now strating to become a nightmare.

When I received the card I did a new clean insto of Win 8.1 and started using FSX DX10 (Steve's Fixer) with the 290X. After lots of issues finally got it running. Documented how I did this along the way so I could duplicate at a later date. Once I had it all running nicely I decided to start fresh again with a new Win 8.1 install and that would be the basis for the future (yes stupid).

Anyway could not get it to run on Win 8.1again when Radeonpro was open. Close Radeonpro and all is good. This is the same for DX9 and DX10. Not a problem, the issue must be Win 8.1 Time to move back to good old Win 7.

Fresh install of Win 7. Same problem. FSX crashes when Radeonpro is open. Perfect when Radeonpro closed.I have the latest version that recognises the R290 but have also tried the previous version.

This is driving me insane and a cheap 290X is about to come up for sale. Would anyone be able to offer me assistance with this issue? I have reinstalled (following the AMD guide) the video drivers. I have reinstalled Radeonpro. I have run CCleaner to claen and registry issues. Now at a loss as what to do. Can't see how reinstalling FSX will do anything as it works ok with Radeonpro closed.

I need Radeonpro because it is the only way to have Vsync. CCC does nothing for this. Crash details below:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    fsx.exe

Application Version:    10.0.61472.0

Application Timestamp:    475e17d3

Fault Module Name:    KERNELBASE.dll

Fault Module Version:    6.1.7601.18015

Fault Module Timestamp:    50b83c8a

Exception Code:    c06d007e

Exception Offset:    0000c41f

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:    3081

Thanks

Michael

Well in DX9 you can get vsync with a line...

[GRAPHICS]

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

http://fsxtimes.wordpress.com/2011/08/14/fsx-cfg-verticalsync/

So there. You can fly FSX in DX9. Without RadeonPro you can lock fps in FSX to 30. Also in DX9 8xSSAA set in CCC works great. Especially that card!

Now for DX10 or RadeonPro crashing FSX...

There are a few FSX addons that crash with RadeonPro.

Ground Traffic Extreme or some such thing.

Sweet FX in some methods

SMAA Antiailiasing setting in RadeonPro with DX10

ENB Series Mod for HDR lighting in DX9 mode

Setting Direct X based Tripple buffering.

Is your FSX stock or have you added a bunch of stuff?

You need driver version 13.4 Beta 9.5

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Also might want to make sure you have antivirus disabled as a test?

Make sure you have UAC (User Access Control) disabled

Just off the top of my head.

Maybe if you ask this guy for help he can shed light?

http://www.radeonpro.info/2013/11/new-build-with-support-for-amd-radeon-r-series/

Charles.

I wish I could edit the original post... Regarding artifacts in DX10 mode longer flights...

To avoid artifacts disable the cloud shader in the fixer and set water in FSX no higher than 2xLow and run with 4xAA instead of 8X

C.

Thanks for the input Charles.

I am on the 13.11 Beta9.5 driver. I am on a fresh install so have no addons installed yet apart from Steve's Fixer.

I will head on over to the Radeonpro site and see what I can find out.

Michael

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

Hey, I have an AMD radeon HD 7550M/7650M and can't force my AA on. I installed the DX10 fixer and did everything as told above but I don't seem to have ANY AA in FSX. 

Hey, I have an AMD radeon HD 7550M/7650M and can't force my AA on. I installed the DX10 fixer and did everything as told above but I don't seem to have ANY AA in FSX. 

Laptop?

Possible that chipset cant do AA in DX10?

Back up your fsx.cfg delete it completely and let FSX regenerate a new one....this happened to me to one time in the past....dont forget to press no on key mapping prompt...

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

Unfortunately ATI is not for DX10. I tried everything and can't get a shimmer-free image and the most important i have stutters even with min settings. 

This year I'll go for an upgrade with nvidia in my system because as i can see only these guys seem to be happy with DX10.

Ok, thaks for your help guys I'll try what some of you said.

However, my card is indeed capable of DX10 - I have played several DX10 games on my laptop without any problems.

But yeah, FSX is it's own thing...

Let's see what happens, so stand by.

Ok, thaks for your help guys I'll try what some of you said.

However, my card is indeed capable of DX10 - I have played several DX10 games on my laptop without any problems.

But yeah, FSX is it's own thing...

Let's see what happens, so stand by.

Your chip can do DX10. But not necesarily for AA in DX10. That was added in the 6000 series and up i think. But your chip sounds like a mobility chip and i dont think it can.

ATI is having one issue with DX10. Spikes if water is set past 2xlow. And you have to disable the cloud shader in Steves fixer.

Unfortunately ATI is not for DX10. I tried everything and can't get a shimmer-free image and the most important i have stutters even with min settings. 

This year I'll go for an upgrade with nvidia in my system because as i can see only these guys seem to be happy with DX10.

Clarification... ATI is great in DX10 and 11 games. Not so much in the experimental DX10 FSX which was an unfinished project and still is. DX10 fixer for FSX is now developed on nVidia exclusively so I imagine that it will be more likely to work better with nVidia now than ATI just due to that alone. Again. It's as good as nVidia in DX10 mode until you enable past water 2xLow. Then you get scenery spikes.

Now as for your card? Any card from today would be an improvement. Your card was a $200 budget gaming card 3 years ago. nVidia equivalent was the GTX465 1GB and it too would suck big time. So in your case it's more about level of card and less about brand.

If your going to upgrade to nVidia, you better go no lower than a GTX760 and that's about $250. But if you really want to push AA to 4xSGSS (Shimmer Free almost) in DX9 or 10? With some cloudy weather? You better spend $350 at least and get the GTX770! Or be prepared to dial that stuff back again.

Good luck with whatever you choose. But that current card in your computer is a dog for sure and you will be happy with any upgrade to a current (non-budget) card.

Charles.

Agreed totally - a 770 or a 780 will meet your expectations.

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.